By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - what if the next final fantasy is bad?

Since when has a FF game been considered bad? Even 12 was enjoyable to some extent.@ DarcRequiem-FFXIII will sell more than all the 360's JRPG's and WRPG's combined.

Around the Network
libellule said:
non event

GT5 is far more important

No, because in Europe PS3 is doing fine anyway (quite well actually) but it is doing awfully in Japan, and FF XIII should help to sort this problem out

I haven't read the entire thread, but here's the deal with Final Fantasy. Square Enix could literally send you a turd in a box with the Final Fantasy label, and people would still buy it and say it was the best game ever.

FF4 and 6 are among my all time favorites, but their games keep going downhill. Or maybe they're getting better again... I consider FFX the worst in the entire series ("I hate you daddy!"), and 12 was marginally entertaining except for SE thinking they needed a single player game to compete with an MMO in time wasting.

@munkeh111

seriously??

IU looks terrible....everything from VO's to them saying the names of the attacks...to the grfx.

I admit LO looked brilliant....a game I will miss..

but IU just looks....bad

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Sansui said:
I haven't read the entire thread, but here's the deal with Final Fantasy. Square Enix could literally send you a turd in a box with the Final Fantasy label, and people would still buy it and say it was the best game ever.

FF4 and 6 are among my all time favorites, but their games keep going downhill. Or maybe they're getting better again... I consider FFX the worst in the entire series ("I hate you daddy!"), and 12 was marginally entertaining except for SE thinking they needed a single player game to compete with an MMO in time wasting.
But the worst in the entire series is a very relative term. FFX has an average review of over 90, and there must be a reason beyond the name that I am currently completely obsessed with that game, I can't stop thinking about it, and it was the first jRPG I ever played, and really got me into the genre before i had every heard of FF, so I was not just sold on the game. SE create quality products, and XIII will be amazing

Around the Network
darthdevidem01 said:
@munkeh111

seriously??

IU looks terrible....everything from VO's to them saying the names of the attacks...to the grfx.

I admit LO looked brilliant....a game I will miss..

but IU just looks....bad

If you have played Star Ocean, you will realise why it seems great, the repetition of the names is quite annoying, but the game is fun to play, which is what matters, and the story in SO was great, so I am expecting more great things from Tri-ace. LO does look great, which is why I will be getting it in just over 2 weeks!

1/3 of PS3 owners would have Spontaneous Combustion.

Munkeh111 said:
Sansui said:

But the worst in the entire series is a very relative term. FFX has an average review of over 90, and there must be a reason beyond the name that I am currently completely obsessed with that game, I can't stop thinking about it, and it was the first jRPG I ever played, and really got me into the genre before i had every heard of FF, so I was not just sold on the game. SE create quality products, and XIII will be amazing

Like I said, Square could deliver us a turd in a box and it would still get 90+ from reviewers.  I can tell you why you liked FFX.   When it came out in 2001 or 2002, were you 12-13 years old?  As far as I can tell, that was the targeted age demographic for that game.  Everyone I've ever met that liked FFX was a very young teenager when they played the game. 

The voice acting in the game was terrible, combat was overly simplistic compared to earlier games, the plot was subpar and juvenile, and tidus takes the cake as the whiniest fem-man in the history of the genre.  I would rather endure the praise of the whole Aeris melodrama in FF7 than ever listen to Tidus scream "I hate you daddy" for the 18th time and cry like a little girl.

Now, maybe I'm being hypocritical because extreme melodrama is a requirement for any jrpg, and I did love FF4 and 6, but they just weren't presented in as juvenile a fashion.  FF4 had a great 'cain and abel' archetypal story with a classic love triangle and LotR good vs. evil epicness.  You didn't see Cecil wearing women's clothing and crying because Kain wasn't his friend anymore.

Bah.  now get off my lawn before I call the cops!

@sansui

so basically FF is like Halo where even though they are crap they get reviewed well...

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

pretty much, darth