By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Why is Petrol So Expensive in Britain?

Kasz216 said:
luinil said:
It wouldn't. The US is spread out and not dense like most of Europe. If gasoline gets too expensive people won't be able to get around as easily, causing more economic pains than just those felt at the pump...

Solution = lower taxes + more production.

Yeah. I live in a suburb where you freaking need to take a car to get to the Bus line.

lower taxes + more production = more consumption + less supply for the future, which of course equals even more expensive gasoline in the future.

If it was just that simple, right? How about we remove the speculators and investors, they are the biggest driving force in the oil/gas market.

Or, we can all trade in our Hummers for Prius's. Nah, too simple. Of course doing either of these things isn't realistic, but people have to realize that the oil/gas market isn't as simple as High School Economics: Supply and Demand.  

Currently playing: Civ 6

Around the Network
cdude1034 said:
Kasz216 said:
luinil said:
It wouldn't. The US is spread out and not dense like most of Europe. If gasoline gets too expensive people won't be able to get around as easily, causing more economic pains than just those felt at the pump...

Solution = lower taxes + more production.

Yeah. I live in a suburb where you freaking need to take a car to get to the Bus line.

lower taxes + more production = more consumption + less supply for the future, which of course equals even more expensive gasoline in the future.

If it was just that simple, right? How about we remove the speculators and investors, they are the biggest driving force in the oil/gas market.

Or, we can all trade in our Hummers for Prius's. Nah, too simple. Of course doing either of these things isn't realistic, but people have to realize that the oil/gas market isn't as simple as High School Economics: Supply and Demand.

I was talking about the how spread out things in the US are.

Me, I drive a cavalier. It gets pretty good Gas Milage.

Of course I've always thought hummers looked retarded anyway. If I was going to get a gas guzzler i'd get a classic car. Like a 1957 Bel-Air.

That's the way to do it, if you're going to waste gas, do it in style. Either that or buy a tank...

Currently playing: Civ 6

Expensive in Britain?

In The Netherlands, petrol is 1.50-1.60 Euro/Liter

MK7!! 3DS friend code: 0688 - 5579 - 0994

Also playing DotA2 beta!

The_vagabond7 said:
It is funny that the US is having fits over 4.00 a gallon. Just how would the US operate at UK rates for gas/petrol/go juice?
That's sorta like saying that it's funny that a guy doesn't like "Bubba" coming onto him in jail when you've been Bubba's love glove for the past 3 years already. I think it's hilarious that UK gets raped by their government everytime they step into their car, and think it proves they're tougher or something, instead of how it just proves that they're sheep.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Around the Network

It's also a joke here.

I payed 1.69 AUD last week (About 1.47 US)

I take the Train to work now because i just cant affored it anymore

Current Consoles: Xbox 360 Elite, Playstation 2, Gaming Rig, Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3.

Xbox Live: Jessman_Aus - Playing: Ace Combat 6, Fifa 09

Playstation Network: Jessman_Aus - Playing: MGS4, Resistance 2

Wii Freind Code: 3513-9191-8534-3866 - Playing: SSBB

Brawl Code: 1590-6125-1250

Xfire: J3ssman - Playing: Fallout 3, Farcry 2

Jessman: Fears the Mangina

Gas is more expensive in Norway, it's like $12 a gallon. Also, as people were saying, gas is more expensive in Europe but you guys have public transportation everywhere. In the U.S. since apartments cost so much in the city, most people live in the suburbs, end up driving 45 minutes to and from work with literally no options of public transit.

Jessman said:
It's also a joke here.

I payed 1.69 AUD last week (About 1.47 US)

I take the Train to work now because i just cant affored it anymore

Thats 74p... Very cheap seeing as its 2.30 USD for One litre where I am

Justice is always Right... Oh wait... that was Wright...

eab said:
Also, as people were saying, gas is more expensive in Europe but you guys have public transportation everywhere.
 Ha ha ha ha ha! Yeah, right. If you call one bus a week public transportation then I suppose we do. 

Grey Acumen said:
The_vagabond7 said:
It is funny that the US is having fits over 4.00 a gallon. Just how would the US operate at UK rates for gas/petrol/go juice?
That's sorta like saying that it's funny that a guy doesn't like "Bubba" coming onto him in jail when you've been Bubba's love glove for the past 3 years already. I think it's hilarious that UK gets raped by their government everytime they step into their car, and think it proves they're tougher or something, instead of how it just proves that they're sheep.

Or it simply proves that gas is more of a luxury item in the face of a well-developed mass-transit system.