By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Layoffs at Sony

Parokki said:
ckmlb said:
End of Sony gaming division confirmed.

Not yet, but we can definitely say there are people very high up in Sony who're annoyed at the losses the gaming division is making, and want to cut off the dead weight. We gamers know there are loads of great games coming out soon that will at least slightly boost sales, but all the suits with the money know is that they were also promised Gundam Musou, Motorstorm etc would "start the onslaught" as a few of our members have put it. Remember while Nintendo is all about games and will keep making them 'till the bitter end, or how Sega did exactly that, Sony is a very large company and the people who decide if the Playstation brand lives or dies have very little, if anything, to do with games.

Of course there's no way it'd happen this year.. First half of 2008 at the earliest, and that's if holiday sales are utterly terribly and a price cut doesn't work either.

I think the suits know a little more than that... don't hold your breathe on the PS3 dying cause it's gonna kill you my good man lol

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network

Maybe they just needed some space to store "sold" PS3s and decided to put them on those employees' desks.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

wait... why are they firing the small guys? shouldn't they be firing the higher ups that made bad decisions? or at least... cut some off their paychecks instead of firing people that really are innocent.

You get a raise for doing a good job and a pad on the back "try better next time" for a bad job? Execs sure have it easy...

Galaki said:
wait... why are they firing the small guys? shouldn't they be firing the higher ups that made bad decisions? or at least... cut some off their paychecks instead of firing people that really are innocent.

You get a raise for doing a good job and a pad on the back "try better next time" for a bad job? Execs sure have it easy...

The guys up top aren’t going to fire themselves and they sure as hell will not blame anything on themselves either. I worked for Sony in Mira Mesa, San Diego and let me tell you that the entire management structure in the entire US needs to be restructured and most of the management needs to be fired. The biggest problem I saw at Sony is the complete lack of responsibility among management towards their own projects and over the top complacency like you wouldn’t believe. The developers and producers of ATV Offroad Fury 4 actually believed that they didn’t need to fix certain features because the franchise always sold well. Even if this was true… is this something a dev or producer should say about their own game? I once pointed out that previous version had false numbers because they were bundled with PS2’s but no one cared and they went back to their comic book talks in their little rooms. Half of the time these guys didn’t even work and they were overseeing million dollar projects :-/

while im unhappy with sony these days, it's sad when people lose their jobs..

Note: Some games in my collection are no longer owned, but have owned.

Around the Network

Here is some more news about these layoffs in particular. Apparently alot more than just 100 people were laid off and its kind of being downplayed. Which is understandable. But here is a post from one of the guys that lost his job. Hopefully this will help remind people that are poking fun that these are real people with families that are losing their jobs and its not funny, at all.

http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=739047 
Sony is in seriously deep shit.

You all know me as a fairly obvious Sony loyalist - and I still love my PS3. Damn thing's fun, even if the pickings are slim. My PSP goes everywhere I go. I love it. I say this because I don't want you to think this is fanboy rhetoric. I just want you to know what's going on.

Anyway, here's the situation...

PS3 hasn't been selling so hot. It's a fact that no one can reasonably contest. The system is sold at a monumental loss (several hundred dollars each, in fact) with the plan to make up the difference in software sales and royalties. Looking at the current situation (just go visit a Gamestop and check out the PS3 section), you can see the trouble with that in the short term.

Now one might say the long term plan is sound. Lose lots of money now, make it up later. Well there's another problem - many of the really huge 2007 titles are now 2008 titles. Killzone 2, Metal Gear Solid, etc - and many of the killer-app exclusives (Assassins Creed, Devil May Cry) are no longer exclusives. You can say Sony planned for that too. The best titles for any system, after all, are the first party titles. God of War 2 is one of SCEs biggest successes... and while games like Ratchet and LAIR have their own online followings, they are nevertheless niche titles... not GTA/GoW/Halo level blockbusters. Even Uncharted, which is amazing btw, is slipping under the radar.

Ok, now that you know all that... how are the short term losses looking now? Well, they're bloody astronomical. The short term losses are far beyond what anyone expected. The predictions of this situation were felt a few months ago when the entire company was placed on a hiring freeze. That is, no new employees can be hired no matter the losses. This is a pretty standard thing in big business when it looks like FYE goals are going to come up short. It happens every few years - especially when new hardware is launched... so there wasn't too much cause for concern.

But today was a massacre. SCE has laid off an undisclosed number of employees world wide. It's been a trickle here and there, but today the axe came down - suddenly, and without any warning. You can be assured a press release will be inbound sometime tomorrow with the usual buzzwords "Downsizing", "Stronger position going forward", etc... but what this means for anyone following the so-called "Console Wars" is that Sony is in seriously deep financial shit. They're a major company, they can take it, and they may yet weather this... but this should come as a staggering blow to consumer confidence. Sony is trying to cut their losses - and should those losses continue - what else might they cut?

This will be my last post as an industry insider.
Last edited by Scrivener : Yesterday at 05:00 PM.

Here he goes into more detail about their being much more than 100 laid off.

http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=739047&page=9 

I like how everyone references Kotaku's guesstimate numbers. I can tell you that there were at least 80-100 people laid off at the Foster City campus alone. Across all departments nationwide, the number is likely much closer to 300 or 400.

However he does mention he has a new job lead already, and hopefully their severence packages are really really good. I hope all of them are able to find work easily, and hopefully close to home so they dont all have to uproot and move elsewhere. 

If people want a PS3 price cut, these layoffs are a precursor, I'm afraid. Organizations lay off employees (mostly administration and overlapping departments/jobs) to cut costs. When costs are lowered, then you can start thinking price cut.

Ok, before this gets spun any farther, remember they had layoffs at these levels for the PS1, PS2, and PSP.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

As long as they aren't cutting into R&D or development projects, the show will go on. Never get a job in administration if you can help it. Worst job security, no matter what the company, and the pay is usually lousy.