By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Theory: XBOX failure in Japan is Hurting PS3

Theory: XBOX failure in Japan is Hurting PS3

Reasoning:

In North America, and Europe the HD consoles have more than 50% market share. It is a no-brainer to go mulit platform. This helps the late comer - the PS3 - quite a bit because it gets top games like COD4 that it's smaller user base wouldn't justify without on it's own.  This bascially splits the market into two pieces  Wii and HD.  We all know that. There are HD games, and there are Wii games.

But in Japan, XBOX360 is hopeless. At 1500/week it will take 5 years to sell 1 Million. Ouch.  THis means in japan there is really only one console target: the Wii. There aren't enough HD consoles to justify the dev costs for HD games.  The wii is at 6.1M.   PS3 is 2.1M.   Xbox is 700k.    If Xbox was around 3M (where it would be if it sold as well in japan it has in NA and Others) the HD consoles would have 5.1M  - roughly splitting the market with the Wii.

So all of us HD fans need to worry about Microsoft's failure in Japan as it hurts our chances of getting good Japanese games for ANY HD platform!

Agree?

Trying to convince me the Wii is a real adult game machine 'if you play it right' is like trying to convince me Tofu tastes great 'if you just cook it right'

Around the Network

I'm just responding because I like your avatar

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

nah because japanese dev's look at the success of HD consoles in places such as America. Hence Ninja Gaiden 2 for example.

The Xbox 360 is a non-factor in Japan. You're grasping at straws.

It's an odd theory, except the Wii isn't getting much support there either (except Nintendo)

Japanese developers only seem to be successful at the moment selling their HD games overseas.

Around the Network
ToastyJaguar said:
nah because japanese dev's look at the success of HD consoles in places such as America. Hence Ninja Gaiden 2 for example.

And that had nothing to do with Microsoft's money?

This year's E3 will tell us how much the wii is getting (or not getting)...

@fishyjoe
You can read, right?

Trying to convince me the Wii is a real adult game machine 'if you play it right' is like trying to convince me Tofu tastes great 'if you just cook it right'

SamuelRSmith said:
ToastyJaguar said:

And that had nothing to do with Microsoft's money?

money was one of the factors of course, but if it wasn't it would be on PS3 anyway so it doesn't really matter.

It's on a HD console. 

Sony hasn't realeased many(any?) AAA Japan-centric games. The console, itself, is physically huge. The price is still too steep. I don't think that Sony needs Microsoft's help to do (relatively) poorly on it's homecourt. That they sold 2+million consoles given all of that reflects how successful the brand is and once the above issues are ironed out, Sony will enjoy more success there.