By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is the sales of North America becoming more like Japan?

Zucas said:
Ail said:
FishyJoe said:
MontanaHatchet said:

The U.S. can have off weeks just like every territory, really. This wasn't so much an off week as a Nintendomination week. The only big release I can even think of this week on the HD consoles is Haze, and poor rated games aimed at the hardcore crowd usually do very poorly.

As the Wii Fit hype gets to sane levels and the Metal Gear Solid 4 hype kicks in, we should start seeing more balanced sales.

Didn't some say the same thing when GTAIV was coming out? Something to the tune of "GTAIV sales will kill the Wii". I think by now we shouldn't make any assumptions that any game release will lead to more balanced sales. Nintendo is sneaky and stockpiles Wii's for such occaisions.

It's still weird that they shipped 50% more Wii for Mario kart release than for the Wii Fit one ( considering how much more advertising they are doing around Wii Fit).

Mario Kart release week had 420k Wii.

Wii Fit week has 280k Wii...

Slap yourself in the face right now.  That's a duh kind of answer.  Why did they ship more on MK Wii week over Wii Fit week?  Well duh GTA IV released on MK Wii week as well.  Nintendo isn't going to sit back and let PS3 and 360 take anything away from them.  This is why MK Wii released on that week and why more Wiis were shipped.  Steal the thunder, and looking at NPD sales, I'd say they won.   

The average customer knows very little about that thunder thingy ( especially the customers Wii Fit is supposed to attract).

All I know is there are a lot of new customers that Nintendo is trying to bring to the gaming market that saw Wii Fit on Oprah or in a commercial and when they went to buy it they must have been in for a bad surprise...

It really does not make sense to have such a huge marketing campaign and not have the product on the shelves in sufficient quantity......

Marketing events like appearing on Oprah usually have a very significant short term sales spike( less long term), it just seems dumbs not to have the product out there to take advantage of it... 

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Around the Network

So it only means that Wii's sales really depends on how many Ninty can shipped? Thats more amazing because they can sale even a 600,000 Wiis in North Aerica alone if posssible...

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

FishyJoe said:
MontanaHatchet said:

The U.S. can have off weeks just like every territory, really. This wasn't so much an off week as a Nintendomination week. The only big release I can even think of this week on the HD consoles is Haze, and poor rated games aimed at the hardcore crowd usually do very poorly.

As the Wii Fit hype gets to sane levels and the Metal Gear Solid 4 hype kicks in, we should start seeing more balanced sales.

Didn't some say the same thing when GTAIV was coming out? Something to the tune of "GTAIV sales will kill the Wii". I think by now we shouldn't make any assumptions that any game release will lead to more balanced sales. Nintendo is sneaky and stockpiles Wii's for such occaisions.

Well, I didn't say that. And I'm not saying it now.

I just said "more balanced sales." The Wii could still be dominating, but at least it won't be to the degree it likely will be in the weeks following the NA Wii Fit launch. 

MontanaHatchet said:
FishyJoe said:
MontanaHatchet said:

Well, I didn't say that. And I'm not saying it now.

I just said "more balanced sales." The Wii could still be dominating, but at least it won't be to the degree it likely will be in the weeks following the NA Wii Fit launch.

Maybe you're right, but at this point I wouldn't rule anything out. 

MontanaHatchet said:

No, if more people are buying the Wii and DS than less people are buying the 360 and PS3.

In fact, the 360 is actually selling more by time period in NA than the Xbox last generation, the second place console last generation in America. Every territory has its off weeks for each console or every console. This was a bad week for everyone but Nintendo.

This appears as a likely possibility. I think the "Wii is not competing" argument might have just died in the water.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network
FishyJoe said:
Ail said:
FishyJoe said:
MontanaHatchet said:

It's still weird that they shipped 50% more Wii for Mario kart release than for the Wii Fit one ( considering how much more advertising they are doing around Wii Fit).

Not weird, tactical. They were out to steal GTAIVs thunder and IMO they did that.

how did they steal GTA'S thunder?

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Ail said:
Zucas said:
Ail said:
FishyJoe said:
MontanaHatchet said:

Slap yourself in the face right now.  That's a duh kind of answer.  Why did they ship more on MK Wii week over Wii Fit week?  Well duh GTA IV released on MK Wii week as well.  Nintendo isn't going to sit back and let PS3 and 360 take anything away from them.  This is why MK Wii released on that week and why more Wiis were shipped.  Steal the thunder, and looking at NPD sales, I'd say they won.   

The average customer knows very little about that thunder thingy ( especially the customers Wii Fit is supposed to attract).

All I know is there are a lot of new customers that Nintendo is trying to bring to the gaming market that saw Wii Fit on Oprah or in a commercial and when they went to buy it they must have been in for a bad surprise...

It really does not make sense to have such a huge marketing campaign and not have the product on the shelves in sufficient quantity......

Marketing events like appearing on Oprah usually have a very significant short term sales spike( less long term), it just seems dumbs not to have the product out there to take advantage of it... 

The stealth attack wasn't meant to get the attention of the average customer.

And when was Wii Fit on Oprah? Did I miss something? I knew about the Ellen thing.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Ail said:
Zucas said:
Ail said:
FishyJoe said:
MontanaHatchet said:

How harsh!

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

psrock said:

how did they steal GTA'S thunder?

By releasing tons of units, Wii-Fit and Mario Kart, in a concerted effort to keep Wii-Owners from feeling left out, and in turn, keep them from going out and purchasing a PS3 or 360 to play GTAIV, by ripping all the money from their wallets with their finally available console, and their new must own games.

Now let me ask you this. How did GTAIV steal Nintendo's thunder?

Edit: For some reason this reminds me of the Barry Manalow family guy where he pulls Quagmire on Stage:

Oh Quagmire. You came and you gave without taking. And I sent you away, oh Quagmire. You kissed me and stopped me from shaking. And I need you today, oh, Quagmire.

Except Quagmire is the fans and Manilow is Nintendo. 

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

I'm not going to type a long post because Bloons is almost loaded.

No. It isn't. Bad Week. Ninty is dying. Etc etc.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you