By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Jason Rubin is now a casual developer?

“I used to play my competition – people I thought I could learn from – and that probably meant I was making decisions as a game maker that weren't necessarily best for what the gamer wanted, but rather as game maker for what I wanted to prove. But as a player, I find I'm playing games that I would have never respected on the technical game making plane, but are more fun and more enjoyable as a gamer than the cutting edge technical works I was looking at back then. That has been a huge lesson to me along with Flektor, that it's more about the fun – that's really what we're about – and you have to pay attention to that.”

Seems like Jason fell off the core gamer wagon... he's talking like a non-gamer.

Links or it didn't happen so here:  http://tinyurl.com/4nwjuc

I don't know I think Crash was pretty casual... but heck what do I know.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

Around the Network

meh, neva liked em anyway

Hmmm text with a tinyurl which is smells like a Rick Roll...

So, when did fun = casual and if so... what does hardcore = ? 

^not a rick roll.

...and he's not talking like a casual, he's talking like an intelligent person. there's nothing wrong with a technical game but you have to remember that the end goal is fun. use the tech to create a fun game NOT create a game to show of beautiful tech. it's just a matter of keeping your eye on the right goal.

..i mean, the wii has the same problem. don't just use motion controls just because you can - do it when it works for the game.

Words Of Wisdom said:

Hmmm text with a tinyurl which is smells like a Rick Roll...

So, when did fun = casual and if so... what does hardcore = ?

I guess hardcore became blood ... be it funny or not , most people now refere to hardcore = gory :? Thats just sad :(

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network

*delete this mods*

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

Hmm I did a quick read of the first page and tell me if I'm wrong but I DON'T SEE, anywhere Jason saying he became a casual gamer. He's no longer a game developer, but a comic creator and developer of Flektor, an online service for My Space and general to create and upload video's and stuff. He's literally saying now he's no longer a game developer he can appreciate games more and respect games for what they really are instead of worring about the technical part as he did as a developer back then. That's entirely different. He also believes the market should expand without the core gamers being forgotten. Now what's so bad about that?

epiphany

Main Entry: epiph·a·ny 
Pronunciation: \i-ˈpi-fə-nē\ Function: noun Inflected Form(s): plural epiph·a·nies Etymology: Middle English epiphanie, from Anglo-French, from Late Latin epiphania, from Late Greek, plural, probably alteration of Greek epiphaneia appearance, manifestation, from epiphainein to manifest, from epi- + phainein to show — more at fancy Date:14th century
 (1): a usually sudden manifestation or perception of the essential nature or meaning of something
(2): an intuitive grasp of reality through something (as an event) usually simple and striking (3): an illuminating discovery, realization, or disclosure b: a revealing scene or moment

Actually the difference is apparantly.

"Casuals live to game and Hardcore game to live."

He directly claims his new perspective is based around living to game.

Da dun.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

BIZ: Is casual gaming something you want to get involved with?

JR: Andy and I have done some of that with Oberon in terms of advising, I don't know if we'd necessary make those games.
That's not to say they aren't amazing. There's huge potential there.

There you have your answer to your thread question... No for now, since he's "no" game developer anymore, a perhaps in the future.