By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Ninty lose the war if Sony & M$ develop similar or better controller?

It looks like Nintendo going to fail by its own. Both of the company Sony and Microsoft focusing(copying) on the controller now. Will Nintendo lose the war because it lacks of support on the other side beside controller? Will Sony and Microsoft regain their market share again?

For more information, look here.

Microsoft's "Newton" & Mii?: http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=27450

Sony's FPS controller: http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=27888

This is not the war of HD or SD, this not the war of Next-Gen, This is the War of Controller.

Poor PS3 Sales Means Smaller Losses

"Actually, because the number of units sold was not as high as we hoped, the loss was better than our original expectation," Quotes from Sony’s CFO Nobuyuki Oneda.

Around the Network

i cant see it affecting the current gen, people will just see it as copying nintendo and wont bite. Nextgen maybe, if another company can pull it off, Sony are more likely to make it a succses as theyve had the most experience in the industry, MS can do it, but only if they accept majour losses and a near total rebranding of the XBOX franchise.

Nothing is wrong with ps360 controllers, they work better in day to day gaming than the wiimote so they don't need to develop a "better controller" to improve gamplay.

As a casual games controller or controller for people who cant differentiante between RT and RB and would rather just shake their hand at the TV it may work and slow down nintendo's runaway success...but probably not unless they could make their whole back catalog playable with it

PS360ForTheWin said:
i cant see it affecting the current gen, people will just see it as copying nintendo and wont bite. Nextgen maybe, if another company can pull it off, Sony are more likely to make it a succses as theyve had the most experience in the industry, MS can do it, but only if they accept majour losses and a near total rebranding of the XBOX franchise.
People won't see it as copying if it is going to appear in next console cycle. Many people made a lot of noise in that Xbox 360's thread because it just apperearing too fast, not many people can just accept it like others as a natural result.

"Actually, because the number of units sold was not as high as we hoped, the loss was better than our original expectation," Quotes from Sony’s CFO Nobuyuki Oneda.

People have it all wrong. One of the thing Nintendo has this generation that Sony and MS doesn't is a different business plan. The controller was the first step of the plan but now has really completed step 1 and 2 (Wii Fit). Even if the other companies release a sort of Wii controller, they will still be 2 years behind Nintendo. Also, the companies won't have a 100% attach rate for the controller which may create confusion in the mind of the consumers/developers.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

Around the Network

mabey it might change the sales but i think more for the 360s benifit becuase of the lower price of the 360

Proud Owner of  a Wii and Xbox 360 and a PS3(When I get the money)

macross said:

It looks like Nintendo going to fail by its own. Both of the company Sony and Microsoft focusing(copying) on the controller now. Will Nintendo lose the war because it lacks of support on the other side beside controller? Will Sony and Microsoft regain their market share again?

This is not the war of HD or SD, this not the war of Next-Gen, This is the War of Controller.

They will have a Wii bit of a public relations and marketing problem to deal with. How do you explain that after a year and a half of telling people how stupid motion controls were, that they were just a fad and a novelty do you manage to do a complete about face and say, “just kidding folks, Nintendo had it right all along and we were full of s**t.

That’s going to require more than good spin doctoring to pull off because people just aren’t that stupid. Either they will sort of halfway switch to motion controls without really committing, which will only piss off their loyal fans that stood by them and still fail to compete. Or they really are going to commit to this, essentially endorsing Nintendo while losing all credibility and most of their supporters.

macross said:
PS360ForTheWin said:
People won't see it as copying if it is going to appear in next console cycle. Many people made a lot of noise in that Xbox 360's thread because it just apperearing too fast, not many people can just accept it like others as a natural result.

i know its effectively copying whenever it happens, i think people are more likely to accept it if its part of an entirely new console.

Wouldn't change a thing unless the consoles price was also dropped lower than the Wii, and the controller came bundled with the console, plus a huge marketing campaign showing the new direction of their consoles.

Won't happen this gen, at least not all those things I mentioned.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

disolitude said:
Nothing is wrong with ps360 controllers, they work better in day to day gaming than the wiimote so they don't need to develop a "better controller" to improve gamplay. As a casual games controller it may work and slow down nintendo's runaway success...but probably not unless they could make their whole back catalog playable with it
Actually, they need it. This is why Sony added Sixaxis to their controller. They can't just end up as more powerful console in next generation console cycle(e.g. PS4, Xbox 720). The fact is the PS360 controllers work more of the same without getting any better or worse. In fact that Wiimote like controller are working better than before while the technology improve. Wiimote like control seems to be a natural control. It is like the multi-touch screen flat panel we saw in Tom Cruise's Minority Report while the techonology evolved.