By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Age of Conan 400,000 subscribers already

Oli Welsh 10:35 (BST)
27/05/2008

Age of Conan nets 400,000 players

Funcom has announced that 400,000 players have signed up to play its new MMO launch, Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures, in the last few days.

Age of Conan has been on general release in the US for a week, and in Europe since last Friday. Assuming the figure excludes beta testers, it means it's one of the fastest-selling PC games ever.

Age of Conan broke pre-order records for a PC game last week. Funcom announced then that it had shipped an initial run of 700,000 copies, with around half of them being sold in North America, according to the developer.

Funcom also claimed an "astounding amount" of concurrent players logged into the game, but as yet hasn't offered a specific figure.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/age-of-conan-nets-400-000-players_0

-------------------------------------

Wow. I never thought it would get these kind of numbers so fast. Usually it takes an MMORPG several months to reach it's peak, so it looks like AoC has a good shot at becoming the 2nd western MMORPG to reach a million subscribers.

As a comparison, Eve Online has got 250,000, LOTR Online 150,000 and Star Wars Galaxies around 100,000 subscribers as of now (according to MMO-tracker http://www.mmogchart.com/ ).

Around the Network

Reviews seemed to be really positive too

I was kinda hyped over this game a while back, but it just died down for me... I don't have time to play MMOs these days... I would rather play SSBB... but it did look quite nice. The decapitations were unexpected to me when I first looked into it. Then there is the spiders... I don't do spiders... I won't play a game that has them as enemies (at least often, and it took a LOT of effort on my part to fight them in LoZ:TP...)

From what I am hearing from guildies that play the game the first levels 1-30 are really fun with a lot of quests to do and what not.
At level 35 the quests starts to dry up and when you get to 50 it's down to grinding and very few quests..

It looks like another of those half finished games where a lot of focus what put in the lower levels but very little on the end game so I don't expect the more hardcore players to stick with it for a long time...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

I'll probably check this one out if possible

Around the Network

But PC GAMING IS DEAD O.o

I wouldn't compare this game to Eve, which is very niche and star wars galaxies which suffered from many poor decisions by the people running it.

A really good game. If you got the PC for it, I recommend you to play this.

MK7!! 3DS friend code: 0688 - 5579 - 0994

Also playing DotA2 beta!

Is it mac compatible?

Thats really good numbers for a MMO. Lets hope its not the peak.

Hi, this is Vince with Shamwow.

Ail said:
From what I am hearing from guildies that play the game the first levels 1-30 are really fun with a lot of quests to do and what not.
At level 35 the quests starts to dry up and when you get to 50 it's down to grinding and very few quests..

It looks like another of those half finished games where a lot of focus what put in the lower levels but very little on the end game so I don't expect the more hardcore players to stick with it for a long time...

It is a MMO. It is quite normal to leave endgame out at release, and continually add more content.

If you were there at the release or first months of WOW, you would know. The strategy worked for WoW and other games. And AoC got PVP and guild towns.

Anyone got sales numbers? The 400k wasn't even sales numbers, it was number of people who already got their retail package and registered their game key and payment method.