By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Bluray vs hddvd - HD-DVD Buyers Beware

LordTheNightKnight said:
dallas said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
dallas said:
No no no. Toshiba/Microsoft are only staying in the race, even to this poor degree, because they are selling their HDVD players below production cost.

And, when Sony's new BD players come out...the $499 one....it will push them to the top and convince Microsoft to end this, because microsoft has to be losing money on something that they have no possible chance of winning unless a nuclear bomb or asteroid hits sony headquarters.

1. In this case, the Ps3 does come it. Selling the hardware at a loss is a common practice. Software makes up for it in the long run (unless you screw it up like with the Xbox).

2. $500 is still greater than $300-$400, so that won't convince anyone they are about to lose.

3. Microsoft just supports HD-DVD. Toshiba has most of the investment. Yet they aren't losing any more money than Sony is in terms of HD films.

In short, I hope you were being sarcastic, because that argument fails to prove what will happen on way or the other.

This isn't going to "prove" anything, but it is merely evidence of a trend, that is in the blu-ray's favor. In fact, you really can't prove anything at this point, we'll just have to see how the whole thing plays out....but keep in mind, 3:1 sales, BD's favor

Secondly, Microsoft is the Originator and manufacturer of the HD-DVD. Toshiba may make the players, but microsoft makes the $$$ when the HDDVD movies are sold.

And, yes, $500 is greater than $300, but it is also a lot less than the current price of $800, so i'm expecting a big jump in BD sales when this new player does finally come out.

3:1 where? Link? And does that mean each blu-ray movie outsells each HD-DVD 3:1, or is that due to more releases, which means each films sells abot the same?

Toshiba and NEC developed HD-DVD, and the get most of the money. Microsoft didn't have a finger involved in its development, and they don't get a cent, unless they decide to release software on HD-DVD. I can't believe you got such a basic fact wrong. I bet you even twisted sales reports of blu-ray to read 3:1, when recent reports have actually been 2:1.

If HD-DVD players didn't get a huge leap from $400, and the $500 PS3 sold poorly, that prediction of the $500 player doing better doesn't hold much weight. 

1.  The 3:1 ratio has been widely mentioned, and you know that.

2.  You are trying to compare apples to oranges with the case of HD-DVD sales @ $300, and the upcoming $500 BD player.....People don't buy it, b/c consumers think that the format sucks, apparantly.  All in all, wouldnt you think that reducing the price of an expensive item to 60% of what it was would have an impact on sales?  Common sense should be guiding you here, but you seem to have lost that ability, bub.

Around the Network
dallas said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
dallas said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
dallas said:
No no no. Toshiba/Microsoft are only staying in the race, even to this poor degree, because they are selling their HDVD players below production cost.

And, when Sony's new BD players come out...the $499 one....it will push them to the top and convince Microsoft to end this, because microsoft has to be losing money on something that they have no possible chance of winning unless a nuclear bomb or asteroid hits sony headquarters.

1. In this case, the Ps3 does come it. Selling the hardware at a loss is a common practice. Software makes up for it in the long run (unless you screw it up like with the Xbox).

2. $500 is still greater than $300-$400, so that won't convince anyone they are about to lose.

3. Microsoft just supports HD-DVD. Toshiba has most of the investment. Yet they aren't losing any more money than Sony is in terms of HD films.

In short, I hope you were being sarcastic, because that argument fails to prove what will happen on way or the other.

This isn't going to "prove" anything, but it is merely evidence of a trend, that is in the blu-ray's favor. In fact, you really can't prove anything at this point, we'll just have to see how the whole thing plays out....but keep in mind, 3:1 sales, BD's favor

Secondly, Microsoft is the Originator and manufacturer of the HD-DVD. Toshiba may make the players, but microsoft makes the $$$ when the HDDVD movies are sold.

And, yes, $500 is greater than $300, but it is also a lot less than the current price of $800, so i'm expecting a big jump in BD sales when this new player does finally come out.

3:1 where? Link? And does that mean each blu-ray movie outsells each HD-DVD 3:1, or is that due to more releases, which means each films sells abot the same?

Toshiba and NEC developed HD-DVD, and the get most of the money. Microsoft didn't have a finger involved in its development, and they don't get a cent, unless they decide to release software on HD-DVD. I can't believe you got such a basic fact wrong. I bet you even twisted sales reports of blu-ray to read 3:1, when recent reports have actually been 2:1.

If HD-DVD players didn't get a huge leap from $400, and the $500 PS3 sold poorly, that prediction of the $500 player doing better doesn't hold much weight.

1. The 3:1 ratio has been widely mentioned, and you know that.

2. You are trying to compare apples to oranges with the case of HD-DVD sales @ $300, and the upcoming $500 BD player.....People don't buy it, b/c consumers think that the format sucks, apparantly. All in all, wouldnt you think that reducing the price of an expensive item to 60% of what it was would have an impact on sales? Common sense should be guiding you here, but you seem to have lost that ability, bub.

1. Mentioned only on boards like this. I haven't seen any official articles that cite such a ratio. 2:1, yes, but not 3:1.

2. Again, the PS3 was first available at $500. It didn't sell that well, even though it had a game system at a player. So expecting a stand-alone player to jump sales, when it didn't work just a few months before, is an unrealistic expectation. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Again, you are comparing apples to oranges. Why not compare sales of a $500 stereo to a $500 DVD player? Your comparisons are pretty dumb at best.

Look, have you taken any economics classes? They compare LIKE to LIKE. That means the same kind of unit with the same kind of unit. Economics 101 also has something called supply and demand, which seems to have blown over you. When the price goes down, the demand curve shifts to the left, and the quantity demanded goes up.

More news....the $499 blu ray player can be purchased through Sony's website, and will most likely hit the shelves very soon.

Hurry up, they're running out fast!

dallas said:
Again, you are comparing apples to oranges. Why not compare sales of a $500 stereo to a $500 DVD player? Your comparisons are pretty dumb at best.

Look, have you taken any economics classes? They compare LIKE to LIKE. That means the same kind of unit with the same kind of unit. Economics 101 also has something called supply and demand, which seems to have blown over you. When the price goes down, the demand curve shifts to the left, and the quantity demanded goes up.

You're saying that the price of an HD-DVD player is not comparable to the price of a blu-ray player? Both players play high capacity 5-inch optical discs, with high definition film content. Or are you comparing the PS3 20Gb, which still had all those things?

The thing is you haven't prove it is even likely for a $500 blu-ray player to have a spike in sales over HD-DVD. That's the thing. You are claiming a $500 system will push blu-ray over the top, when HD-DVD has $300-$400 systems.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Around the Network

Ok, well we'll just have to see who's right in the next couple of weeks when the effects of the cheaper player present themselves, then won't we?

I bought a DVD player when they first became widely available because it was a huge jump from a tape you had to rewind and fast forward to an instantly accessible DVD.
A basic device cost me £400.

At the moment I see no point in paying out for a Blue-Ray OR HD-DVD player just so I can have a clearer picture and even more hours of extra material I'm not in the slightest bit interested in.

dallas said:
Ok, well we'll just have to see who's right in the next couple of weeks when the effects of the cheaper player present themselves, then won't we?

We had a cheaper player just a few months ago. That's the thing you are ignoring.

I'm not claiming this player won't succeed. I'm just pointing out your expectations are unlikely.