By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Bluray vs hddvd - HD-DVD Buyers Beware

Golvellius said:
My speculation is that Blu-Ray will first kill the PS3 and losing the HD media format war to HD DVD afterwards.

yeah, ok...

cause you know HD DVD is doing so well. 

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:

This was posted on slashdot the other day and people pointed out that only an idiot would directly compare these two products ... Being that the Pirates movies are newer, are individually packaged at a lower price, and there is a brand new pirates movie in theaters with a huge marketing budget makes this a comparison of Apples to Monkeys.

Yahh tell that to the hddvd boys, Matrix was gonna smash Br in may. Pirates had no chance lol.

ckmlb said:
Golvellius said:
My speculation is that Blu-Ray will first kill the PS3 and losing the HD media format war to HD DVD afterwards.

yeah, ok...

Cause blu-ray sales are so much better when looked at all statistically relevant numbers, instead of just the ratio.

Neither format is winning right now, despite the PS3's large userbase, and the lower price of HD-DVD players. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

ckmlb said:
Golvellius said:

yeah, ok...

Neither is Blu-Ray.  Neither are making nearly enough headway against DVD to be considered anything but a joke.  DVD sales aren't falling, they are RISING.  At a faster rate than Blu-Ray sales are catching up.   The 2 will fight it out for the next 6 years, but then something much better will come along and they will both be down the drain.  Honestly, I think digitial distribution is the future of mives, and the chances of either winning before digital distribution becomes popular enough to take over mainstream are low.

Blue3 said:
Quantum-Tarantino said:
I dont think either will.

Within 3 years, we will have digital content delivery, THAT will be a threat to DVD, not "High Def Disks" no matter the format.

yahh just like ppv killed dvd ?

can you maybe keep on topic.

PPV, as in Pay-Per-View?

I think times have changed: Back then you had dial-up; today you have Broadband (downloading a 45k webpage was painful back then!); soon Gigabit-broadband will take over (check out the new advances in quantum networking).

Additionally, mindsets have changed. If you would've asked me 10 years ago what I thought of downloading movies via Internet, I would've labeled you a lunatic, but today things are different and downloading digital media is certainly an alternative. I think while there may be quite a number of people that prefer physical copies of their media, I'm not too fussed about it. I love the convenience of Direct2Drive and Steam. If I'm at a store, I'll check out the games, but otherwise it's just more convenient doing it from home.

But like naznatips said, neither one is even close to reaching critical mass, and if what he says is true (that DVD is growing, not shrinking, something I'd believe myself) then it will be a long time - probably over five years - before HD media really starts even threatening DVD dominance, let alone surpass it.

This war is far from over - it's hardly begun!

Around the Network

My prediction is..... BD and HD DVD will come to a compromise. soon, there will be players capable of handling both the BD and HD DVD format. IIRC, they are already in the makings. Both format will be there.... New consumers win, ealry birds are the losers.

Hddvd has fewer problems with discs and players. Hddvd for the most part gets better reviews for the movies and the players. Hddvd players are cheaper by about 50%. Hddvd has better deals by giving you 5 free movies when you buy a player. It looks to me that Toshiba cares more about the customers than Sony, so why does everyone on this site seem to support Bluray.

nathantay said:
Hddvd has fewer problems with discs and players. Hddvd for the most part gets better reviews for the movies and the players. Hddvd players are cheaper by about 50%. Hddvd has better deals by giving you 5 free movies when you buy a player. It looks to me that Toshiba cares more about the customers than Sony, so why does everyone on this site seem to support Bluray.

get lost, you already ruined one Br thread.

They for the most part get the same reviews, you can get a BR player for 469.99 on amazon.  Wheres a hddvd player for $235 ? Toshiba care more LOL.  

nathantay said:
Hddvd has fewer problems with discs and players. Hddvd for the most part gets better reviews for the movies and the players. Hddvd players are cheaper by about 50%. Hddvd has better deals by giving you 5 free movies when you buy a player. It looks to me that Toshiba cares more about the customers than Sony, so why does everyone on this site seem to support Bluray.

I think the number of people on this site will not decide who will win the format war. You should instead be asking the studios, why are they in favor of BD over HD DVD. Content decides the winner.

"Currently, Blu-ray Disc is exclusively supported by Columbia Pictures and MGM which are both owned by Sony, as will as Disney, 20th century Fox and Lionsgate. Both Blu-ray and HD DVD are supported by Paramount Pictures, DreamWorks, Warner Bros. and New Line Cinema. HD DVD is exclusively supported by Universal Studios[2] and The Weinstein Company."  from Wikipedia

Blue3 said:
nathantay said:
Hddvd has fewer problems with discs and players. Hddvd for the most part gets better reviews for the movies and the players. Hddvd players are cheaper by about 50%. Hddvd has better deals by giving you 5 free movies when you buy a player. It looks to me that Toshiba cares more about the customers than Sony, so why does everyone on this site seem to support Bluray.

get lost, you already ruined one Br thread.

They for the most part get the same reviews, you can get a BR player for 469.99 on amazon. Wheres a hddvd player for $235 ? Toshiba care more LOL.

*Ahem!*

http://electronics.pricegrabber.com/blu-ray-hd-dvd-players/p/2065/form_keyword=hd-dvd/rd=1/sortby=priceA

Starting from $199.95 we have the Toshiba HDA1 HD-DVD Player - hell, at those prices, I'd buy one as well - if I lived in the US!

The same website has as the cheapest Blu-Ray player the Samsung BD-P1000 BLU-RAY DISC PLAYER which retails at over double the Toshiba's price.

In fact, there are five HD-DVD players that are cheaper than the cheapest Blu-Ray player - and we aren't talking pennies here - we're talking differences of over $100!

Dude, if you are going to make such bold claims such as "Wheres a hddvd player for $235 ? Toshiba care more LOL." you should at least type in one or two search queries to make sure you don't shoot yourself in the foot. Right now you look as if you didn't just shoot yourself in the foot, but blew your whole leg off!