By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Bluray vs hddvd - HD-DVD Buyers Beware

HD-DVD is 30 GB per Layer

Blu-Ray is 25 GB Per Layer

What is misleading there?

XBOX LIVE Gamertag: QuantumTarntno

Crackdown - Enchanted Arms - Oblivion - Samurai Warriors 2 - GRAW - GRAW2 -Lost Planet - Guitar Hero 2 - Star Trek Legacy - Double Agent - WWE 2007

Wii 4237-4425-6442-7626

Mario Party 8 - Rayman Raving Rabbids - Excite Truck - Zelda: Twilight Princess - Godfather - Wii Play

Around the Network

bluray is the future

@ QT

Are you serious? Blu-Ray is 25 GB per layer, HD DVD is 15 GB per layer.

If not joking, a good example of how consumers are being mislead.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

HAHA!

Change Blu-Ray to BetaMax and HD to VHS and you'd be saying the EXACT same thing that was said back in the 80's.

Fools are doomed to repeat the mistakes of the past.

My Bad, i was thinking the most common disk sizes, and not layers.

Blu Ray disks are generally 25GB, and HD-DVD are Generally 30GB

My mistake about the layer info

XBOX LIVE Gamertag: QuantumTarntno

Crackdown - Enchanted Arms - Oblivion - Samurai Warriors 2 - GRAW - GRAW2 -Lost Planet - Guitar Hero 2 - Star Trek Legacy - Double Agent - WWE 2007

Wii 4237-4425-6442-7626

Mario Party 8 - Rayman Raving Rabbids - Excite Truck - Zelda: Twilight Princess - Godfather - Wii Play

Around the Network

BTW TDK and Maxell have both developed 200GB multi-layer Blu-Ray discs to be commercialized around 2009. IMO strange to compare Blu-Ray with Betamax, one of Betamax' weakpoints was storage capacity, this is not the case with regard to Blu-Ray. Also Blu-ray isn't Sony's format, it's the format of choice for most related leading consumer electronics companies.

@ QT

Most HD DVD movies require two layers as one layer won't fit the content. For Most Blu-Ray movies it's sufficient to be stored on just one layer. Note that dual layer production costs are higher, so in most cases Blu-Ray is cheaper.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

lol it's gone on for 3 pages, and I still could care less. No one has managed to get even close to convincing me to replace my ginormous DVD collection, despite the fact that I own a 42" plasma TV capable of 1080p. So, have fun bitching, I'll just keep watching my upscaled DVDs on my nice large TV. You know what else I'll do on that HDTV? Play my Wii and PS2... rofl I love these fanboy wars

naznatips said:
lol it's gone on for 3 pages, and I still could care less. No one has managed to get even close to convincing me to replace my ginormous DVD collection, despite the fact that I own a 42" plasma TV capable of 1080p. So, have fun bitching, I'll just keep watching my upscaled DVDs on my nice large TV. You know what else I'll do on that HDTV? Play my Wii and PS2... rofl I love these fanboy wars

not to smart are you.

most wont replace their old movies, but no normal person will choose a crap lookin dvd over BR especially if they spend the $ on a 1080p hdtv.

Blue3 said:
naznatips said:

not to smart are you.

most wont replace their old movies, but no normal person will choose a crap lookin dvd over BR especially if they spend the $ on a 1080p hdtv.

Nice to see that an arrogant ass is always an arrogant ass, regardless of subject matter. Yeah, I can't wait to start paying twice as much for my movies, when I can watch them in HD on digital cable. Oh not to mention the price of a $400 player minimum. Yeah, I am just tripping over the opportunity to pay for something I don't give a crap about.

I consider myself a normal person...and I'm perfectly happy with DVDs for now...EVEN when we watch on my friends' HDTVs. I don't want to waste money on a little increase in resolution.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )