By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will Twilight Princess outsell Ocarina of Time?

Don't forget that it is overtracked!

http://gonintendo.com/wp-content/uploads/nintendozahlen.jpg

http://vgchartz.com/weekly.php?date=39537&console=Wii&maker=Nintendo&boxartz=1

So sales are listed 70K above shipments, but there has to be some amount on shelves too, so sales are probably 200K overtracked. If sales are 20-30K a week, then it will take 2 months to reach what sales are currently listed at.

Eventually, I think it should beat OoT. I could see it selling basically as well this fiscal year as it did last fiscal year. (1.25M)

Overall, the Zelda series is performing very well this gen. About 4.5M for TP, over 4M for PH, and about 2M so far for LCT. Over 10M sales this gen, and over 12M adding in GC sales. And it could reach 16-17M for those 3 titles.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Around the Network

Don't forget the GBC/GBA remakes of Link's Awakening and ALttP. Link's Awakening is over 6m, including the DX version. And ALttP is still the best selling Zelda game, if you include Four Swords Adventures. Unfortunately, Z:FSA's sales data is no longer in the database for some reason.

Currently playing: NSMB (Wii) 

Waiting for: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii), The Last Story (Wii), Golden Sun (DS), Portal 2 (Wii? or OSX), Metroid: Other M (Wii), 
... and of course Zelda (Wii) 

The Japanese are sensible people, they realised Wind Waker pwns both of those games.

Edit, darn I could have sworn WW was about 1.5mil in Japan.... but then that would be pretty astonishing on a 4mil userbase. 

I think TP will pass it eventually, especially when it comes down to $20.

Nintendo still doomed?
Feel free to add me on 3DS or Switch! (PM me if you do ^-^)
Nintendo ID: Mako91                  3DS code: 4167-4543-6089

I am curious, are the WindWaker Special Editions (which contained OoT and OoT Masterquest) also part of the 7.6 Mio?

Around the Network

You should add the VC downloads for OoT, but sadly we don't have numbers for it...

SSBB FC: 5155 2671 4071 elgefe02: "VGChartz's Resident Raving Rabbit"   MKWii:5155-3729-0989

supermario128 said:

I'm pretty sure it won't come down to $20 for a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time.

You can pretty much kiss "Player's Choice" goodbye. Nintendo wants to avoid price cuts.

Price cuts, especially after just a few months, really screw over the core audience of a particular title, and encourage them not to buy early, and so Nintendo has stated several times that they're trying to move away from that model--both with hardware and software.

You don't see DVDs or CDs drop in price over time, after all.

"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

hentai_11 said:
I am curious, are the WindWaker Special Editions (which contained OoT and OoT Masterquest) also part of the 7.6 Mio?

No.

If you count the Ocarina on the gamecube...and on the VC...no chance in hell.

Erik Aston said:
supermario128 said:

I'm pretty sure it won't come down to $20 for a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time.

You can pretty much kiss "Player's Choice" goodbye. Nintendo wants to avoid price cuts.

Price cuts, especially after just a few months, really screw over the core audience of a particular title, and encourage them not to buy early, and so Nintendo has stated several times that they're trying to move away from that model--both with hardware and software.

You don't see DVDs or CDs drop in price over time, after all.

Yes you do, I buy my CDs/DVDs late usually, I got Radioheads OK computer for £5 a few months ago, and more recently I bought Pulp Fiction for £6.
Admitedly a long time after games do though, It is probably due to the nature of frontloaded games like GTA, which sell the majority of their copies in the first month (if not the first day) so not many people want them later on.... wheras with CD they sell like Nintendogs because they are still desirable later in life.