By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's more important to a publisher;attach-rate or install-base?

Riachu said:
sc94597 said:

The ps3 has almost all western games. Name 5 huge japanese game that came out for the ps3. The wii has games that target both japan , and games that target all regions.

1.Everyone's Golf 5

2.Yakuza Kenzan

3.Dynasty Warriors 6

4.Virtua Fighter 5

5.Devil May Cry 4

Please not that games 3 to 5 are also on the 360

Are you serious. I know two of those franchises. I don't think they = huge. Even if they were they can't be as huge as some games on the wii such as twilight princess or smg.

Around the Network
Imperial said:
Riachu said:
SaviorX said:
.......um..........The Wii's third party alone has sold more than every 1st, 2nd, & 3rd party game the 360 has, and the PS3. Even if their third party is "low quality", so was the PS2s. You make it seem like every 3rd party PS2 game was classic.

Why even bother comparing the Wii to the PS2, why not the PS3 & 360 as well? The PS2 has been out almost 8 years while the Wii has only been out 19 months. The userbase of the Wii is nowhere near that of the PS2 yet and neither is it's library.

How long are those Japanese ones going to support the 360 in Japan. The highest selling 360 game over in Japan is Blue Dragon, with 203k, the game below that is 105k.

We have no idea what Nintendo's upcoming 1st party games will be until E3, so how can they be exhausted? Nintendo would be extremely stupid to have blockbuster 1st party games released month after month and leave 7 months of the calendar without a game.

As for the Wii's demise, don't count on it. It won't fall off the face of the earth anytime soon, not with the excellent games available (though not as much as 360). The 1st party efforts will carry it to E3 and 3rd party games will be peppered in release in the meantime. Not even GTA4 could singe the hair on the Wii's toe knuckles. Wii has captured Japan no doubt and won't let it go.

Your profile picture didn't help your argument either.
I can understand why they aren't buying a 360 but why are the Japanese not buying a PS3, do they hate it?

The Japanese hate the 360 (with good reason ) they don't hate the PS3 (even though they should) , they're looking for a reason to fully embrace it but Sony hasn't given them any. currently the software support for the PS3 in japan is pitiful the 360 has more games that tend to the need of the japanese ( yet it's still failing lol).

Once the PS3 get's games that tend to the japaneese needs ( MGS4, FF ) they'll embrace the PS3 , but that might not be til '09.

True.Which is basically the reason people disliked the PS3 in 07;no appealing games they like,but now look at 08.

Riachu said:
SaviorX said:
.......um..........The Wii's third party alone has sold more than every 1st, 2nd, & 3rd party game the 360 has, and the PS3. Even if their third party is "low quality", so was the PS2s. You make it seem like every 3rd party PS2 game was classic.

Why even bother comparing the Wii to the PS2, why not the PS3 & 360 as well? The PS2 has been out almost 8 years while the Wii has only been out 19 months. The userbase of the Wii is nowhere near that of the PS2 yet and neither is it's library.

How long are those Japanese ones going to support the 360 in Japan. The highest selling 360 game over in Japan is Blue Dragon, with 203k, the game below that is 105k.

We have no idea what Nintendo's upcoming 1st party games will be until E3, so how can they be exhausted? Nintendo would be extremely stupid to have blockbuster 1st party games released month after month and leave 7 months of the calendar without a game.

As for the Wii's demise, don't count on it. It won't fall off the face of the earth anytime soon, not with the excellent games available (though not as much as 360). The 1st party efforts will carry it to E3 and 3rd party games will be peppered in release in the meantime. Not even GTA4 could singe the hair on the Wii's toe knuckles. Wii has captured Japan no doubt and won't let it go.

I can understand why they aren't buying a 360 but why are the Japanese not buying a PS3, do they hate it?

From what I've learned from this here VGChartz:

Japan usually decides their console pretty obviously. Anything with this high sales over there earliest on (Wii) will usually stay the leader for the rest of this "generation".

As for them hating the PS3, I don't think they hate it but they haven't accepted the HD consoles very well since they don't have the games that appeal to them. Games that we may love here (assuming you live in the US or even Europe) is not what they like over there, at all.

The Japanese do not like FPS-- they get motion....sickness....(ignore that part). PS3 doesn't have the Final Fantasy XIII or the new Dragon Quest yet. I can't name a big game that has released there yet (or pushed out systems). Don't forget Wii games release there more frequently.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Imperial said:
Riachu said:
SaviorX said:

The Japanese hate the 360 (with good reason ) they don't hate the PS3 (even though they should) , they're looking for a reason to fully embrace it but Sony hasn't given them any. currently the software support for the PS3 in japan is pitiful the 360 has more games that tend to the need of the japanese ( yet it's still failing lol).

Once the PS3 get's games that tend to the japaneese needs ( MGS4, FF ) they'll embrace the PS3 , but that might not be til '09.

I'm afraid by then it will be too late for japan. Actually it's probably too late now. They will boost the sales for probably a month then after that the sales will go back to normal. 

Godot said:
*bleu-ocelot* said:
I was wondering with the Wii getting little to no third party support-does the "attach-rate" and "install-base" affect the risks publishers are willing to take with their game licences? Nintendo wii-has the highest install-base of the three systems,but not by an overwhelmingly number like the PS2(which would affect where publishers lay their support).The wii also has the lowest attach rate. Playstaion 3-has the lowest install-base of the three systems,with an attach-rate slightly higher than the wii but a little lower than the 360.The PS3 and 360 get virtually the same amount of third party support now. Microsoft's 360-has the highest attach rate of games to systems,with a lower install base than the the wii but higher higher than the PS3.Companies,especially japanese ones,seem to extend more support exclusively to it than the PS3 or wii. Will this be a factor in the wii's third party support and will the lack of quality third party support,damage or hurt sales for the wii.Keep in mind that the wii has already exhausted its catalog of first party games.I's this the Wii's demise? Or...will the recent crop of a few unknown ip's be the start of the "turning point".

I hope you realized that the 360 has been out longer than both Ps3 and Wii. It's the reason the attach rate is superior.

The only thing that matters to publisher is the size of their target demographic on each console. 

How does the 360 being out longer affect the attach-ratio now? Where the 360 leads and the wii 2nd because of their AAA games rolling out one after another.More people just buy games for their 360's.

Around the Network
SaviorX said:
Riachu said:
SaviorX said:

From what I've learned from this here VGChartz:

Japan usually decides their console pretty obviously. Anything with this high sales over there earliest on (Wii) will usually stay the leader for the rest of this "generation".

As for them hating the PS3, I don't think they hate it but they haven't accepted the HD consoles very well since they don't have the games that appeal to them. Games that we may love here (assuming you live in the US or even Europe) is not what they like over there, at all.

The Japanese do not like FPS-- they get motion....sickness....(ignore that part). PS3 doesn't have the Final Fantasy XIII or the new Dragon Quest yet. I can't name a big game that has released there yet (or pushed out systems). Don't forget Wii games release there more frequently.

Dragon Quest is going to ds. After IX I think the series will go to the wii. 

Install base is obviously more imporatant. Attach rates vary with each game, so it's difficult to predict the attach rate of an unreleased title. In any case, attach rate is more dependent on the actual quality of that title, whilst a poor game will surely sell more copies on a larger userbase rather than a smaller one.

You are stating false facts, first of all.
Second, your desire for the Wii to fail, so that your beloved PS3 can become first again, is so big, that blinded you, making you not see what the reality is.
This is the reality:
Wii's attach rate > PS3 attach rate
Wii's userbase >> PS3 userbase
Wii's userbase and attach rate > 360 userbase anmd attach rate in the SAME TIME PERIOD

Dont forget that 360 was available for a whole extra year therefore the current lead, which looks to last little to nothing.

Also, there are far more 3rd party games coming to the Wii than to the PS3, even if you dont like them, people will buy them, and the more games people buy, the higher the attach rate, and more developers who get interested in developing.

Last thing, you saying NMH would sell better on PS3? LOL imagine the huge risk that Suda would have taken if they developed a game for the PS3 thwey would have never recovered the losses, on the other hand NHM sold exceptionally well for what it was intended to sell, compare it to killer7 on PS2 and GC and you'll understand.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

*bleu-ocelot* said:
Soriku said:
*bleu-ocelot* said:
FJ-Warez said:
*bleu-ocelot* said:
ikilledkenny said:
Install base. If a console is THUMPING the others, like the Wii, they want to put their games on it.

But why take the risks if no one is buying it?

No one is buying what???

Games are selling even if they are shovelware, the console is selling... which game with huge advertisement, huge budget is not selling???

Hmmm.....NMH!!

You DO know NMH is a VERY niche game right? It also never got much advertising. It is also a Suda 51 game. Suda 51 games don't sell very well, yet has sold 300k. NMH is the Suda's best selling game ever and he even had a part to commemorate the game's success. If it was on the PS3 or 360 it would have sold A LOT less. Maybe you should check up on your facts.

Having a party for 300k? yea... and i think NMH would have sold more on the PS3.

Why wouldn't they have a party for 300k? It sold a lot and they made a lot of money off of it. They're not goign to pretend that it did poorly because some angry nerd on the internet decided 1 million was the single benchmark for success.

At least we've moved on from people pretending NMH didn't sell, to pretending that it didn't sell enough.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

install_base * attach_rate = total_sales...

which is what publishers care about.