By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - PS3/360 have wrong Idea

I posted this on another thread and decided to give it its own post, due to concerns over gaming consoles.

Wii doesnt have a dvd drive/blue ray, If PS3 and 360 released a system to only play games, no blue ray or hd, it would be cheaper, and i feel thre tables would fair differently and the competition might be head to head. Wii originaly promised a DVD drive, obviously it was scrapped and released at a very competitive price point..

Ask yourself, did you purchase the system(PS3/360) to say to yourself and friends, Check out my new DVD player, wanna watch a movie???

OR were you like this, Hey check out my super system with superior graphics, point is, most people already have a dvd player of some sorts. Blue ray wont catch on 100% for a little bit longer, look at the transition from VHS to DVd, some people still have VHS players, I admit I have 2, I might have 5 DVD players but I still have VHS. Point is, the market might end up supporting HD DVD/Blue ray........You can stil buy VHS players(at least I think)and you can buy a cheap DVD player, or an HD DVD or BLue ray. Point is, When did the VHS come out???How long has it been around? And has it lived on with DVD's, yes. It may take a while before people buy a game system to watch movies on, I think Sony/MS are trying to appeal to everyone, Kids/adults in an ll in one multimedia device. I think this is the wrong way to do it. Here is why,

The concept is enticing, a device for the family. Lets discect it..... Little Johnny gets dad to buy a 360. Dad wants to watch a movie, Johnny wants to play a game. Where is the split time between them??

Thats why stand alone systems do so well, why?? If Dad/Mom wants to watch a movie, they will, If Johnny wants to play a game.....guess what??? do it in your room. Growing up, I had my systems in my room, how many others can attest to this? Before you go ranting and raving about the PS2 penetration stop right there! Did you get the system for superior DVD.....or games???

My friends ask, why did you pay that much for a game/DVd??? (my PS3)

I said I just wanted good graphics from the PS3, I would have been happy with a games only platform.

Around the Network

I agree. The inclusion of that in the 360/PS3 is simply to try to capture market shares.
I would have been much happier with a game platform alone.
I know I got my PS2 for the games. I have only used the DVD player feature twice.

You know, my ps2's ....I don't recall watching a movie on them. I remember one time I wanted to, just to see the load up screen, but decided to continue playing FF Dirge of cerberus

I totaly disagree. Large storage mediums are essential for multimedia consoles like PS3 and X360.

Many non-believers were saying the same thing about the PS2, but without the DVD player you could probably say goodbye to most AAA titles.

You'd have Pac Man 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7.

That's why you have choice now, if you don't want DVD or Blu-ray you buy a Wii.

If you have a 40"+ LCD screen you probably want something that can output more than 480p.

Quote: "I know I got my PS2 for the games. I have only used the DVD player feature twice."

OMG! How can you say that. Have you never played, "Final Fantsy, God of War, MGS, GTA", etc, etc, etc..

@first post 

There is a slight mistake in your demonstration : it's true, but from a "child" point of view.

Average VG players (at least on MS and Sony consoles) is around 25 so it imply a lot less conflict between what "little johnny" and dad want, because it's Dad's toy.

In fact, even from the child (or teenager) POV, it's not that simple. Your gaming system is in your room. Now, imagine your parent are watching their stuff on the TV and you want to watch YOUR DVD movie. So what ?
You ask your parent to move to your room so they can watch their stuff while you're using the only DVD player of the living room ?
Or is it easier that your console also happen to read DVD movie and that you can watch them in your room ?

A multi usage devide isen't a bad thing, as long as this aspect do not goes in the way of its main purpose.

In PS3 case, the huge cost of the BR do get in the way.

Around the Network

@Cryoakira
"In PS3 case, the huge cost of the BR do get in the way."

I agree that it gets in the way at least now in the start, but as the tech becomes cheaper this tech will be of great benefit for gameplay also. It's way to earlie to make assumption at this moment.

I believe that what's hindering the PS3 right now is the lack of content, there are far to few quality games this far. Come fall will probalby boost PS3 sales a lot, when many big titles are released. I don't think it's price as much as lack of content that is getting in the way.

In 1996 Nintendo could have put a DVD drive in the N64 to futureproof the system; after all, at the time the N64 was released there were several Playstation games that were going to be released on multiple CDs. On top that we have seen DVD become the main movie format so it obviously would have benefited the N64, right?

The reality is that selling a $500/$600 N64 with a DVD drive would have been a massive disaster for Nintendo even if they massively increased the CPU and GPU performance and added way more memory ... People love added features at little or no added cost, but once the price increases beyond what people are willing to pay for a gaming machine the features become a liability.

Sony and Microsoft have gold plated every requirement and sent the price of their systems beyond what most gamers are willing to pay.

Cryoakira said:

@first post 

There is a slight mistake in your demonstration : it's true, but from a "child" point of view.

Average VG players (at least on MS and Sony consoles) is around 25 so it imply a lot less conflict between what "little johnny" and dad want, because it's Dad's toy.

In fact, even from the child (or teenager) POV, it's not that simple. Your gaming system is in your room. Now, imagine your parent are watching their stuff on the TV and you want to watch YOUR DVD movie. So what ?
You ask your parent to move to your room so they can watch their stuff while you're using the only DVD player of the living room ?
Or is it easier that your console also happen to read DVD movie and that you can watch them in your room ?

A multi usage devide isen't a bad thing, as long as this aspect do not goes in the way of its main purpose.

Cryoakira said:

@first post 

wHAT i AM GETTING AT IS THE CONCEPT IS HARD TO CATCH ON, A MULTIMEDAI DEVICE, ONCE AGAIN I WILL ASK, DID YOU BUY A SYSTEM FOR MOVIES OR GAMES???

AND WHAT ABOUT THE 18 YEARS OF AGE AND UNDER STILL LIVING AT HOME???

SO WHERE IS THE MISTAKE IN MY DEMONSTRATION?? ALSO DO 25 YEAR OLDS NOT HAVE KIDS???? YOU MIGHT NOT!

bordello said:
@Cryoakira
"In PS3 case, the huge cost of the BR do get in the way."

I agree that it gets in the way at least now in the start, but as the tech becomes cheaper this tech will be of great benefit for gameplay also. It's way to earlie to make assumption at this moment.

I believe that what's hindering the PS3 right now is the lack of content, there are far to few quality games this far. Come fall will probalby boost PS3 sales a lot, when many big titles are released. I don't think it's price as much as lack of content that is getting in the way.

We have to remember that the BR diode in the PS3's price was cut about $100, as well the removal of the EE+GS with the 32MB of ram. These manufacturing cost cuts will slowly allow a price cut which will grant more people who cant afford $600 to get one. Which really a lot of people, who wont admit that can, now a days should be able to afford it with proper budgetting methods. 

Also with the inclusion of DLNA server support there is no reason to upgrade the HDD to anywhere above 120GB like the 360 Elite. I have my DLNA server setup on my server PC with 8TB of space. Of course about 2TBs are being used for game servers, my old website, and other things. But I still can steam 6TB of media to my PS3 at any give time. All thats mainly needed is the PS3 to support more media formats, which will slowly happen.

It's all about ability to use your technology to your advantage to bring you the greatest media setup which without the PS3, its alot harder to bring full media capabilities to your TV.  

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453