By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - No Spring dashboard update, underperforming XBLA titles to be removed...

Figured you guys would like to know...

In this exclusive interview with general manager of Xbox Live Marc Whitten, Next-Gen gets all the first details on big changes to the service—including that there will be no spring dashboard update, and that underperforming XBLA titles will be removed from the service.

[...]

According to Whitten, XBLA titles that have been out for more than six months, have a Metacritic score of less than 65%, and have a conversion rate of less than 6% will be eligible for desliting. Microsoft will give three months of notice before these titles are removed.

Other interesting tidbits:

There will however be a change to DRM policy and a tool released next month that will allow 360 owners to re-license content to a single console—finally fixing the issue that forced gamers playing XBLA games to be connected to Xbox LIVE if their 360 broke down and was replaced.

[...]

So we are officially increasing our XBLA game size limits dramatically from 150mb to 350mb. 

[...]

In addition to allowing these bigger and better games we will be delisting older underperforming titles in order to keep the service focused on a section of high quality games.  Finally, we are also going to be putting our money where our mouth is here and are launching a new fully funded 1st party studio which will be focused on high quality digital content creation.

From next-gen.biz.

Around the Network

wats the point in taking down games does it cost money to keep it up there once it is posted?

No Update for Spring, I guess that List was a fake

The part I found most interesting was:

"Finally, we are also going to be putting our money where our mouth is here and are launching a new fully funded 1st party studio which will be focused on high quality digital content creation."

They always catch a lot of flak for not having enough in-house development, and as such, relying mostly on third-party games. I'm excited to see what this new studio will bring to the table.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

I wonder what games are gonna be taken down? I hope none of the classics are taken down, I'm having to download them a little each night.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network

This is bad for small developers.
The advantage of downloadable software is that even though the sales may drop off the product can still sell to those who want it for years to come without having to hope that retailers may still have the game on the shelves.Even if the later sales are tiny there is virtually no loss since solid media isn't involved.
Given the rigid tastes of the gaming media using the current rating system can be very misleading.
It basically says that anyone who doesn't make a game to suit these elitists will be ignored.
Read the part where they said this will focus the catalogue on larger,more immersive games.
This will only lead to sure-hit genre titles and stifle innovation.

Prediction:
Disney will make KH3 with Nintendo.Yes,KH3 will be a Disney/Nintendo crossover.

Save the industry,Kill a Hardcore gamer

Stopped buying Ubisoft games.Will not buy Red Steel 2.Let them struggle on HD. Click here for a solution:CLICK
ALERT: I have also exposed a UBI'Z'OFT viral marketer in THIS thread.Read my posts, see the set up and watch how everything crumbles on page 8. Please learn from this experience.

People--don't worry about your classic games on XBLA. ONLY games with a Metacritic score of

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."
thekitchensink said:
The part I found most interesting was:

"Finally, we are also going to be putting our money where our mouth is here and are launching a new fully funded 1st party studio which will be focused on high quality digital content creation."

They always catch a lot of flak for not having enough in-house development, and as such, relying mostly on third-party games. I'm excited to see what this new studio will bring to the table.

FYI, the new first party studio is focusing on XBLA.

^A safe assumption, given that the article is focussed on XBL, but all they say is that it's focussed on 'digital content creation', which to me just sounds like 'games'.

thekitchensink said:
^A safe assumption, given that the article is focussed on XBL, but all they say is that it's focussed on 'digital content creation', which to me just sounds like 'games'.

From the article:

Could you describe the changes we can expect to see in the Marketplace in the near future?

Well probably the biggest change I can share with you today is a series of new policies along with a new internal approach and investment in the Xbox LIVE Arcade business going forward.  While the service has had a lot of success and now boasts over 130 titles, we think it is time to continue our focus on quality over quantity.  This means that we need to allow developers more time and more space to make even bigger and better games.  So we are officially increasing our XBLA game size limits dramatically from 150mb to 350mb.  We are also giving publishers more flexibility in how they price their games and opening up a new 1600 Microsoft Points price point for some of these now bigger and better games. This week we already have seen a title that is taking advantage of this and getting great response, Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain Slick Precipice of Darkness, Episode One.  In addition to allowing these bigger and better games we will be delisting older underperforming titles in order to keep the service focused on a section of high quality games.  Finally, we are also going to be putting our money where our mouth is here and are launching a new fully funded 1st party studio which will be focused on high quality digital content creation. 

[...]

Can you explain a little bit more the background on the new 1st party studio?

Well the main idea behind the concept is to invest deeply in developing original content that will be compelling and exclusive to Xbox LIVE.   This is a place where we’ve redoubled our commitment and I’m putting both dollars and people behind new games that push the quality and the bounds of the system.  Wish I could share more today, but definitely stay tuned on this, as we have some very exciting things in the works including some big original XBLA games we will be announcing soon.

It's definitely for XBLA. :P