By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Greenpace attacks consoles!

LetsAllMakeBelieve said:
PS360ForTheWin said:
Im getting thoroughly bored with this know, none of you are going to change my mind and clearly you arent interested in taking my opinion seriously so ive had enough okay, im still positive that Global Warming and Anthropogenic Global Warming are happening, so deal with it, im know past the point of caring about the opinions of the condescending people on this thread.

this is what you should have realised from the start, neihter side can win, this is about opinions, not facts. IMO this thread was a disaster once PS360 started talking about GW, clearly, he knew little about it, then Sqrl he held the opposite view, and whilst he had more research, it was either flawed or biased. PS360 offerd a "lets agrre to disagree" here, why did neither he nor Sqrl take it.

You can state your opinion of the situation all day long, but until you support your position by citing where my flaws and biases exist you not only wear out the patience of those who would listen but you prevent the conversation from moving onto the merits of the topic and instead leave it to languish in the symantecs of the debate.

If you have an issue with what I've said then site what I said erroneously and specifically what was wrong with it. Otherwise you need to make it clear that everything you've said is simply your opinion and stop pretending that its a fact.

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network
LetsAllMakeBelieve said:
A few points id like to make after reading this thread
1) PS360's argument was poorly backed up
2) sqrl's argument is arrogant and backed up through heavilly biased sources
3) neither side made a convincing argument
4) people have taken sqrl's side purely due to there anti-GW views, noone seems to have questioned the accuracy of his posts.
5) PS360 lost it after it became clear he was being insulted.
6) PS360 made several poor comments.
7) GW may not be fact yet, but the evidence on wikipedia and many news sites suggest its all but fact.
8) IMO sqrl needs to stop pretending to be Stephen Hawking's right hand man
9) IMO PS360 needs to do more research to back up his view
10) i know await my own falming and request for concrete evidence, which alas i cannot give, however if u read this entire post, u will note i say that i source several sites and say it is not fact, but the main theory at the moment.
11) Please Read my points before responding.

You're making a bad assumption that what is presented on wikipedia and many news sites are facts; and they're not just as 'biased' as the sources Sqrl used. The only clear fact in the entire global warming debate is that it is not a scientific debate, it is a political debate.

To go back to an earlier post of mine:

Carl Sagan
The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

1. Whenever possible there must be independent confirmation of the “facts”

2. Encourage substantive debate on the “evidence” by knowledgable proponents of all points of view.

3. Arguments from authority carry little weight as “authorities” have made mistakes in the past. They will do so again in the future. Perhaps a better way to say it is that there are no authorities; at most; there are “experts”.

4. Spin a variety of hypotheses. If there’s something to be explained, think of all the different ways in which it could be explained. Then think of tests by which you might systematically disprove each. The ones that survive are the ones to do in depth study on.

5.Do not become attached to any hypothesis just because it’s yours. Find reasons for rejecting all, including your own, hypothesis.

6. Quantify. If whatever you are explaining has a measure, quantify it so that measurement is more possible. Vague hypothesis, or those difficult to quantify will be the most difficult to prove or disprove. Ie: There is a Sasquatch.

7. If there is a chain argument, then each and every link must work, including the premise.

8. Use Occam’s Razor; which is to choose the hypothesis that explains the data in the simplest terms.

9. Ask: is the Hypothesis testable and falsifiable. Hypothesis that are not testable are not worth much. Could you duplicate accurately, at least theoretically, the hypothesis?

Every last rule put forward by Carl Sagan has been broken by supporters of the Global Warming hypothesis:

1+2) Anyone who questions the 'facts' or debates the null-hypothesis instantly has their motivations brought into question, any funding they have received is put under a microscope, and people try to discredit them automatically; the opposite is not true, and few people ever get the same level of problems by supporting the 'facts' or the hypothesis. As a result of this you're discouraging independent confirmation of the facts or any substantive debate.

3) Believe it or not, Wikipedia, news outlets and the "consensus" are all authorities and they have no place in a scientific debate. The science should be able to stand up on its own without these distractions.

4) How often do you hear debates on whether the high levels of sunspot activity (which have a close correlation to world temperatures) may have a greater influence than carbon dioxide outside of web forums? The backers of the Global Warming hypothesis have worked very hard to silence any alternative hypothesis.

5) Most people I have ever seen who question the global warming hypothesis accept that it may be an explanation but don't believe it is currently supported by the science, or that it is the leading option. Few people who support the global warming hypothesis will accept the possibility of any other hypothesis.

6) The hypothesis "The Earth's average temperature will rise 1 degree over the next century" is quantified, "Global Warming is happening" is not ... it is nearly impossible to prove or disprove "Global Warming" because an increase of 0.0001 degrees over the next century would count as "Global Warming" but would certainly not be worth the hype

7) First we must demonstrate that man made CO2 is the main factor of Global Warming, then you must demonstrate that Global Warming is actually a negative thing before you can claim that the science is settled.

8) Being that the sun accounts for the vast (VAST) majority of the climate, wouldn't it be a simpler explanation that the sun was the major factor in Climate Change?

9) How can you test the Climate Change hypothesis? All computer models do is they assume the hypothesis and then calculate how much of an impact it had; we need a way to test it otherwise it is junk science.

@ Sqrl - you really cant read can you? i say that the evidence ive seen makes me feel it is all but fact, i did not say it was a fact at any point, please stop misreading my post. Also my sating the other side is not wrong is again fair, i cannot prove 100% that im right, nor can you presume to claim that i am 100% wrong, i know you clearly want me to fold like PS360, but its not going to happen. @ Happy Squirrel - Again read my post properly before blindly posting things.

Greenpeace just likes to pick on everything, just ignore them.
They would attack the pencil industry if they could.

Work in progress for now...

GrimPoppet said:
Greenpeace just likes to pick on everything, just ignore them.
They would attack the pencil industry if they could.

I bet they have, after all, pencils are made from *gasp* wood. Wood comes from trees. Trees absorb the dreaded CO2 that is polluting our planet.

Around the Network
LetsAllMakeBelieve said:
@ Sqrl - you really cant read can you? i say that the evidence ive seen makes me feel it is all but fact, i did not say it was a fact at any point, please stop misreading my post. Also my sating the other side is not wrong is again fair, i cannot prove 100% that im right, nor can you presume to claim that i am 100% wrong, i know you clearly want me to fold like PS360, but its not going to happen. @ Happy Squirrel - Again read my post properly before blindly posting things.

Why can't you site a portion of my post when responding? There is a great deal I responded to and you chose only a small portion to give any response to at all. If you wish for me to take you seriously then you need to respond to every point I've made. So far you've answered only the portions you want to while I've responded to everything you address to me.

If in your next post in this thread you do not respond to everything I posted in my last post then you will leave me no choice but to assume you have nothing to offer to the discussion. If you cannot afford me the courtesy of a point by point response as I afford you the courtesy of a point by point response then I won't bother responding at all.

its nice to see comments that are on topic for the thread title, Greenpeace IMO attacked the consoles as a publicity stunt, however if they can be made more eviromentally friendly that is good.

Yep, lets bury the pencils now that we have computers to write =P

Work in progress for now...

Sqrl said:
LetsAllMakeBelieve said:

Why can't you site a portion of my post when responding? There is a great deal I responded to and you chose only a small portion to give any response to at all. If you wish for me to take you seriously then you need to respond to every point I've made. So far you've answered only the portions you want to while I've responded to everything you address to me.

If in your next post in this thread you do not respond to everything I posted in my last post then you will leave me no choice but to assume you have nothing to offer to the discussion. If you cannot afford me the courtesy of a point by point response as I afford you the courtesy of a point by point response then I won't bother responding at all.

if i were to go through all the points youve made, we would be here for a year, and as i have a life, i wont. Also as ive already pointed out you did not address all my points to my satisfaction. Please end your anti-GW crusade as it is just getting annoying know, let it go, we disagree ok, deal with it.

LetsAllMakeBelieve said:
its nice to see comments that are on topic for the thread title, Greenpeace IMO attacked the consoles as a publicity stunt, however if they can be made more eviromentally friendly that is good.
LetsAllMakeBelieve said:

if i were to go through all the points youve made, we would be here for a year, and as i have a life, i wont. Also as ive already pointed out you did not address all my points to my satisfaction. Please end your anti-GW crusade as it is just getting annoying know, let it go, we disagree ok, deal with it.

Very well then, you clearly have no desire to debate since you cannot respond to a single post in full as I requested.

It was an interesting chat but I will not engage in it any longer.

edit: To be clear, just like PS360 before you I will not engage you, I have not given up my position only my attempts to discuss it with someone who clearly has no desire or ability to actually debate it.  Particularly someone who only wishes to flamebait me and has nothing to offer but personal attacks.