By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Government to log every phone call, email and text(UK)

skip said:
ssj12 said:
Dogs Rule said:
twesterm said:

What liberty is being taken away? Does it really matter that someone is monitoring my phone calls? I promise you that don't care that you went out drinking last weekend and shoplifted a twinkie.

Like I said, again, if you have nothing to hide you shouldn't care.

The right to privacy is considered to be a civil liberty in many jurisdictions. It is in Canada.

@ yellow comment:

That is not the way your constitution is set up, nor is Canada's Charter of rights and freedoms. Civil liberties, such as the right against unreasonable search and seizure,were not conceived as technicalities to get the guilty acquitted. They are there to protect people who have "nothing to hide" from being searched for no reason, even if it means some evidence will have to be excluded in the trial of a guilty person.

twest - i agree with Dog. It is eating away at our liberties.

Lets quote Ben Frankin

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Yeah I agree with dogs aswell.  I would also like to add that letting yourself lose one liberty is the stepping stone too the loss of another.

+ there is a high probability that this will end up being a failure and a big money pit.

Personally I don't like to use "slippery slope" arguments, but it does work.

@ Teal statement:

Are you thinking of the Canadian gun registry, which cost Canadians 2Billion $ rather than a few million? :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_registry

Around the Network
twesterm said:
ssj12 said:

Lets quote Ben Frankin

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

The problem with taking random quotes from random places is they are often taken out of context.  I'm sure that quote is talking about something that doesn't involve trying to actually protect people and prevent horrible crimes.

Like I've said, you can either be stubborn and stick to your guns for absolutely no good reason or you can actually realize that something like that would go a *veyr* long way in stopping crimes like terrorist attacks or people epxloiting children on the internet. 

Yes there is a major difference between a country defending against attacks from another country and a country defending against a group of people. There is the massive difference between an organized army hell bent in taking over a country and reshaping it into what they want and an armed terrorist organization that is hell bent in taking over a country and reshaping it into what they want.  Massive difference there.. massive... did I say massive?

As for protecting children, this might help. But really is it going stop this completely or just make it so child molestors will have to learn to encrypt their networks making them nearly impossible to track? Ya, doing this would be the wrong way of going about this issue. The better idea would be to setup a dedicated internet defence force whose sole purpose is to stop the crimes against children.

If you like the idea of this database, you think that lawsuits around the world are bad? get ready to see the music, movies, gaming, and software industry gain access to the information and sue atleast a billion people. Especially if this idea takes root in other countries. The lawsuits could end up destroying many countries, including the USA.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Dogs Rule said:
skip said:
ssj12 said:
Dogs Rule said:
twesterm said:

What liberty is being taken away? Does it really matter that someone is monitoring my phone calls? I promise you that don't care that you went out drinking last weekend and shoplifted a twinkie.

Like I said, again, if you have nothing to hide you shouldn't care.

The right to privacy is considered to be a civil liberty in many jurisdictions. It is in Canada.

@ yellow comment:

That is not the way your constitution is set up, nor is Canada's Charter of rights and freedoms. Civil liberties, such as the right against unreasonable search and seizure,were not conceived as technicalities to get the guilty acquitted. They are there to protect people who have "nothing to hide" from being searched for no reason, even if it means some evidence will have to be excluded in the trial of a guilty person.

Lets quote Ben Frankin

Yeah I agree with dogs aswell. I would also like to add that letting yourself lose one liberty is the stepping stone too the loss of another.

+ there is a high probability that this will end up being a failure and a big money pit.

Personally I don't like to use "slippery slope" arguments, but it does work.

@ Teal statement:

Are you thinking of the Canadian gun registry, which cost Canadians 2Billion $ rather than a few million? :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_registry

yeah I was thinking about the gun registry.

ssj12 said:
twesterm said:
ssj12 said:

Lets quote Ben Frankin

The problem with taking random quotes from random places is they are often taken out of context.  I'm sure that quote is talking about something that doesn't involve trying to actually protect people and prevent horrible crimes.

Like I've said, you can either be stubborn and stick to your guns for absolutely no good reason or you can actually realize that something like that would go a *veyr* long way in stopping crimes like terrorist attacks or people epxloiting children on the internet. 

Yes there is a major difference between a country defending against attacks from another country and a country defending against a group of people. There is the massive difference between an organized army hell bent in taking over a country and reshaping it into what they want and an armed terrorist organization that is hell bent in taking over a country and reshaping it into what they want.  Massive difference there.. massive... did I say massive?

As for protecting children, this might help. But really is it going stop this completely or just make it so child molestors will have to learn to encrypt their networks making them nearly impossible to track? Ya, doing this would be the wrong way of going about this issue. The better idea would be to setup a dedicated internet defence force whose sole purpose is to stop the crimes against children.

If you like the idea of this database, you think that lawsuits around the world are bad? get ready to see the music, movies, gaming, and software industry gain access to the information and sue atleast a half billion people. Especially if this idea takes root in other countries. The lawsuits could end up destroying many countries, including the USA.

Sovereign immunity would allow the government to tell anyone who tried to subpoena the contents of the database to go eff themselves, which it would do "in the name of national security."

Dogs Rule said:

They can get away with this in the U.K. because people are still subjects to the monarchy.

If the people of the UK actually cared about something so much, the Government would have to change their ways. You know, they still care about winning elections, etc.

Oh, and I need to reinstate this. This is not recording the contents of these phone calls, messages, emails. Only information about who sent to who, and at what time. 

Around the Network
twesterm said:

You forgot about Nixon and Watergate. The information can be used in other ways, and if gathered, it most likely will. You could also look at what J. Edgar Hoover did with his cabinet of files. I'm amazed that you're defending the rise of the police state. I served in the military for twenty years to defend liberty in the hopes that the US (and the rest of the world) would be free from Big Brother.

Your argument that there is no inconvenience involved is short sighted. Your argument that "people that have nothing to hide have nothing to fear" is also short sighted. In the end when you cede the right to privacy the government will decide what is convenient or not. They will also decide whether you have anything to fear or not, after you've already given up your right to privacy.

SamuelRSmith said:
Dogs Rule said:

They can get away with this in the U.K. because people are still subjects to the monarchy.

If the people of the UK actually cared about something so much, the Government would have to change their ways. You know, they still care about winning elections, etc.

Oh, and I need to reinstate this. This is not recording the contents of these phone calls, messages, emails. Only information about who sent to who, and at what time. 

So what's the point?

The risk of terror attacks now is less than it was in the 80s and yet people still think that they live under the constant threat of bombings. This wasn't needed to combat the IRA and it's not needed now.

Dogs Rule said:
ssj12 said:
twesterm said:
ssj12 said:

Lets quote Ben Frankin

If you like the idea of this database, you think that lawsuits around the world are bad? get ready to see the music, movies, gaming, and software industry gain access to the information and sue atleast a half billion people. Especially if this idea takes root in other countries. The lawsuits could end up destroying many countries, including the USA.

Sovereign immunity would allow the government to tell anyone who tried to subpoena the contents of the database to go eff themselves, which it would do "in the name of national security."

In the perfect world, yes. But with the world being run by money. Any major company could buy the records. The governments would write the payment off as protecting individual rights of companies.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Government Database! oh no, not again! expect the data to be lost within a year.

ssj12 said:
Dogs Rule said:
ssj12 said:
twesterm said:
ssj12 said:

Lets quote Ben Frankin

In the perfect world, yes. But with the world being run by money. Any major company could buy the records. The governments would write the payment off as protecting individual rights of companies.

THat is why western countries have strong judicial systems that are a seperate branch from the executive and legislative branches of the government: to make sure the governments dont adopt unconstitutional laws or make unconstitutional decisions. Once the Supreme court determines that the right to privacy outweights the right of the record companies to gather information on pirates, which is basically how the Supreme court of Canada dealt with music piracy in Canada, then all evidence collected that way would be inadmissible.