By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Second MGS4 review in -score 92 "story too complex"

shio said:
Ajax said:
why do you say that? so you already concluded for yourself that I haven't played any of those.. strange..

so did you play any of them?

billy07 said:
shio said:
Ajax said:
The greatest story of all the games I have witnessed is by far and easily Xenogears' story, and that story is also the most complex I know, but it's genius.. G-E-N-I-U-S

I suggest you play Planescape: Torment, Deus Ex, Fallout 1&2 and Grim Fandango before you say anything like that.

Have you even played XG? That game craps all over the onnes you mentioned in terms of storytelling. Hell, out of the ones on your list only PC and DE even make a remote attempt at trying to mentally stimulate the player though still not to the mind fuck depth that XG did

I'm a videogame stories fan, and try to play the best of them (provided I have the means for it). It is by no coincidence that my 2 favorite genres are RPG and Adventure.

I would rate Xenogears' story a 6.5/10 (maybe 7), since I remember it sort of crumbles halfway through, and most characters were uninteresting.

Xenogears was not deep nor complex, it only had a big ass story. MGS2's had complexity, but the story itself was destroyed by it (not a good trade-off if you ask me).

You've got to be joking dude, you really have got to be joking. You've clearly shown that you don't know the story of Xenogears at all. And that doesn't matter, you can't know everything, and I sometimes also say something without having thought about it good enough, but then when I realize my mistake, I show character, and admit that I actually miss the right knowledgde of the stuff I commented about. If you still stand by your comments, I might even take the time to brake the story somewhat down for you.. from Nietzsche, to Jung, to Freud to much more..

''Hadouken!''

Around the Network
Bodhesatva said:
rocketpig said:
colonelstubbs said:
You dont have to be smart to play or enjoy MGS, but it would be a hell of a lot better if reviewers didnt criticise a game for BEING smart

Methinks you're confusing the words "smart" and "complex".

True, but even "complex" isn't the right word.

Again, "convoluted" would better describe MGS 1/2 to me. That doesn't mean that MGS4 will suffer that same fate, though.

Regardless, "smart" is good, "complex" is neither good nor bad, and "convoluted" is bad. Pretty sure we can agree on that.

I was only using the word "complex" because it had been used earlier in a post and I was making one of my feeble attempts to be polite.

"Convoluted" is about the nicest way I can put MGS's story arc. If I was to pull off the kid gloves, steaming pile of contrived, pseudo-intellectual bullshit with dialogue that would make Michael Bay blush at its wretchedness is just the start of how I would describe it. I've read Choose Your Own Adventure novels that were smarter than that pile of manure because at least they don't pretend to be something they aren't and most importantly, book critics don't hold up such garbage as being the pinnacle of the medium.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

ey rocketpig, aren't you getting a little too harsh on Metal Gears plot now? It might have it's short commings, but give it a brake dude.. cause it's also not like the genre and setting allow for Xenogears like stuff you know.. and Konami does really try to make the best of it. And it still is better than plots of many comparable games, for as far as you can compare games to Metal Gear.

''Hadouken!''

Ajax said:
ey rocketpig, aren't you getting a little too harsh on Metal Gears plot now? It might have it's short commings, but give it a brake dude.. cause it's also not like the genre and setting allow for Xenogears like stuff you know.. and Konami does really try to make the best of it. And it still is better than plots of many comparable games, for as far as you can compare games to Metal Gear.

RocketPig's tone may be a little harsh, but I wouldn't say that it is entirely unjustified ...

I'm of the opinion that fairness in most critiques comes from considering what something is as well as what it is trying to be; in this way you don't (necessarily) hold a Startrek episode up to the same level as you would a very serious award winning dramatic movie.

If people want to hold Metal Gear Solid up to even the standard of bad literature it deserves the harsh critique that RocketPig has provided; if you want to hold it up to good literature you should be laughed at.

HappySqurriel said:
colonelstubbs said:
You dont have to be smart to play or enjoy MGS, but it would be a hell of a lot better if reviewers didnt criticise a game for BEING smart

You?re assuming (of course) that Metal Gear Solid is smart, and not an incredibly convoluted story that strains creditability and hides the lack of real insight through the use of unnecessarily complex story elements.

I certainly am, because I have played all of the Metal Gear games.

Around the Network

rocketpig has a vendetta against MGS2. I loved it. People have different opinions. I need to start posting 50 times in each thread about how much I liked it to counteract him, apparently.

Btw, even though I've never heard of this reviewer: 92 is a really good score.

so they deducted point becuase the people who played it are not smart enough to understand it

Owner Of: PS1 PS2 PS3 PSP NES GB GBA GC WII XBOX

HappySqurriel said:
Ajax said:

RocketPig's tone may be a little harsh, but I wouldn't say that it is entirely unjustified ...

I'm of the opinion that fairness in most critiques comes from considering what something is as well as what it is trying to be; in this way you don't (necessarily) hold a Startrek episode up to the same level as you would a very serious award winning dramatic movie.

If people want to hold Metal Gear Solid up to even the standard of bad literature it deserves the harsh critique that RocketPig has provided; if you want to hold it up to good literature you should be laughed at.

If Metal Gear didn't try to be a deep, engrossing storyline and admitted its schlocky nature and embraced it, I would be all over the game in a Starship Troopers sort of way.

The problem is that it's taken as a serious piece of art and held up as such by both critics and fanboys. And for that, it deserves every bit of spittle-fueled malice I can throw in its direction. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

rocketpig said:
HappySqurriel said:
Ajax said:

If Metal Gear didn't try to be a deep, engrossing storyline and admitted its schlocky nature and embraced it, I would be all over the game in a Starship Troopers sort of way.

The problem is that it's taken as a serious piece of art and held up as such by both critics and fanboys. And for that, it deserves every bit of spittle-fueled malice I can throw in its direction. 

There's a reason so many people like the story. No other videogame series is like it. It's both serious and shallow. Most dramas are. Every Metal Gear thread is filled with your hatred over the story. We get it. You don't think it's an oscar script. Ok. Lots of people like it. It's really good for what it does.