By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What the hell is going on with the PS3?

First let me say this. After GTA, Haze reviews, NPD, Home delays, Killzone delay, and Sony's very conservative outlook hardware sales outlook I gotta ask this question. Is Sony giving up? There were so many ways for them to stage a comeback this year but it seems like their determination is gone. I really believed that they would move loads of hardware this year because they have all they need at their disposal to do so. Was the PS3 destined for failure all along?

I refused to believe that Sony would release the PS3 with so many issues, and that developers would learn how to get the most out of the hardware in time. Now after GTA runs at a lower resolution than the 360 version and Haze runs around the same resolution with bland environments and STILL has graphical issues, I'm starting to believe that Sony has scrapped this generation and is already moving on to the next generation. How is it that we don't have XMB yet!? How is it that they haven't sorted out third party issues on games as big as Haze and GTA? Where are the movie/music downloads?

At this point we still have a few great titles to be released, but I dont think Sony wants to be the generation leader anymore. This isn't to say I will run to the 360. The 360, to me, is underwhelming as well and only the PS3's potential to be something bigger kept me supporting it. The only games so far that I really enjoy whether I'm trying to or not are COD4, Rock Band, and GTA4(but the ending to the story SUCKED! Thought it was the best game ever, but it ended about 25 hours too early.)

Im just disappointed all around. I honestly think Sony screwed up now by making the PS3 with such little ram. It ruined what could have been spectacular

Around the Network

Wasn't all this said already? SONY will be fine calm down :)

YAWN

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Don't be silly... Sony have not given up, and will not. They are just not as arrogant as we have become used to, and thats a good thing :D

Sony's not giving up at all, they're merely scaling back expectations to a reasonable level. It's pretty clear by now that they're not going to come out on top in this generation, so the company is focusing on making the best of a bad situation, and achieving profitability as soon as possible. Which makes more sense: losing billions of dollars in a childish attempt to sell the absolute most possible units, or working to stabilize expenditures to put SCE in position for a better shot at the next generation?

I know it may be hard to believe, but this is serious business. Sony does not exist to please the wishes of its Internet fans. From a corporate perspective, it's largely irrelevant whether or not the PS3 passes the 360 in sales, since something like 90% of third-party games are going to both platforms anyway.

Also, if you believe the PS3 "lost" because it didn't have enough RAM... well, I think you missed the whole point of this generation.

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

Around the Network

Hardware sales have practically doubled since this time last year, which nobody expected. Now it just needs games...

Shams already wrote a little on why it looks like they've given up: 

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=27088

Sullla said:

Sony's not giving up at all, they're merely scaling back expectations to a reasonable level. It's pretty clear by now that they're going to come out on top this generation, so the company is also focusing on making the best of a good situation, and achieving profitability as soon as possible. Which makes more sense: losing billions of dollars in a childish attempt to sell the absolute most possible units, or working to stabilize expenditures to put SCE in position for an even better shot at the next generation?

I know it may be hard to believe, but this is serious business. Sony does not exist to please the wishes of its Internet fans. From a corporate perspective, it's largely irrelevant whether or not the PS3 passes the 360 in sales, since something like 90% of third-party games are going to both platforms anyway.

Also, if you believe the PS3 "lost" because it didn't have enough RAM... well, I think you missed the whole point of this generation.

fixed :)

PS2 is only with 4Mb vRam. =)

I`m not sure what Sony are doing.. their moves are kinda unlogical.
1) Not releasing 80GB bundle in Europe/Japan.
2) Kinda weak Playstation day show(only KZ2 which is not coming this year) and LBP.
3) And what about Infamous, Wardevil, Heavy Rain, 8 days, Afrika, Getaway 3, GoW3 and etc. No words at all.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

twesterm said:

Shams already wrote a little on why it looks like they've given up:

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=27088

shams is a sham, and posting a link to his thread is like pointing to a fresh turd and claiming it's delicious, but you know to each their own :)