By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Ubuntu 8.04 in pictures

Problem with Wubi is that it can't get updates.

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

Around the Network
DarkNight_DS said:
Problem with Wubi is that it can't get updates.

Well, I don't know, but now that it's part of the official package, I would expect it to be able to get update...

I'm an ALIEN!!!! - officially identified as by Konnichiwa

Of course... My English is still... horrible - appreciation and thanks to FJ-Warez  

Brawl FC: 0301-9911-8154

It doesn't sound like a Kernal Panic. If you had one, it would display that on the screen... and if it did display that, then you should give more specifics as to the error message.

Sounds more like a hardware problem, possibly a driver problem with part of your hardware. Not that it's any better for you if it's a kernel panic or not, but calling it a kernel panic when it isn't one can cause the wrong people to look at the message to help...

I looked up what the Scroll lock and Num lock flashing meant and from what I read people said it was a kernal panic. I haven't gotten any on screen messages, just an entire hardware freeze.

If it's a driver issue, I am using pretty common parts in my PC. So what hardware might be causing my issue?

Of course the next problem I have with Linux in general is the ATI support which is obviously ATI's fault. My Video cards fan runs at full speed in Ubuntu all the time which makes my PC quite loud and annoying.

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

DarkNight_DS said:
I looked up what the Scroll lock and Num lock flashing meant and from what I read people said it was a kernal panic. I haven't gotten any on screen messages, just an entire hardware freeze.

If it's a driver issue, I am using pretty common parts in my PC. So what hardware might be causing my issue?

Of course the next problem I have with Linux in general is the ATI support which is obviously ATI's fault. My Video cards fan runs at full speed in Ubuntu all the time which makes my PC quite loud and annoying.

Can you run it in text mode and have it freeze/lockup?  It may properly display a kernel panic message then.

(run "init 3" to switch out of GUI mode, or modify /etc/inittab and switch the initdefault from 5 to 3).  That will give a better clue as to where the problem is...

Around the Network

@Jlauro: If I knew enough commands in shell mode I'd gladly try it out. As a beginner who grew up with DOS I'd most likely be fumbling in the dark with nothing to do.

cool background. I don't know about GNOME widgets but Ubuntu really shapes up nicely.

i think i will have linux when pc games start working for it

ismael said:
I have installed ubuntu 8.04 and when i open something that need flash player, (as many adverts in VGcharts), a process called npviewer.bin make my laptop get hot, :S

npviewer is part of nspluginwrapper, a wrapper designed to let 32-bit plugins (like flash) work with a 64-bit browser. You could always try the 32-bit version of ubuntu instead if you don't like it. Nspluginwrapper tends to be very buggy.

@obieslut:  We may never see 100% of all games working for linux natively, but that doesn't mean you can't dual boot ;)

There are rumors of the source engine being ported to linux, which would let portal, tf2, half life 2, etc. run natively in linux.  Right now the only games that I can think of that run natively are all of id's games, ut2004, and Neverwinter Nights 1.  You can run some windows programs with wine, a windows compatibility layer, with varying degrees of success.

darthdevidem01 said:
Will this run on the PLAYSTATION 3
Not very well.  The PS3 isn't really suitable as a "PC" because of its very low amount of RAM and lack of graphics acceleration.