By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - For all those who are considering upgrading or new builds... READ THIS

Tomshardware has shown that anything from a dual core pentium upwards can play modern games and run graphics cards up to a 9600gt pretty well.

It pretty much shows that all you need for gaming is a decent Core2 or AMD X2-3-4 processor and that your money is best spent on the graphics and you can skimp on the processor.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-gpu-upgrade,1928.html

Pretty much you can get whatever is cheap and has a decent upgrade path.

For example, AM2+ Motherboard with an AMD X2 4200+ then you can upgrade it to a Phenom X3-X4 45nm if you want.

So for value for money - Skimp on the CPU and spend that money wisely on a graphics card.

Lastly, the new generation of cards is 1-2 months away so I suggest anyone not getting an EVGA card with stepup to skip the highend 9800gtx-9800gx2 and look to get either a radeon 4870 (Or X2) or the new Nvidia GTX and GTS cards in a couple of months. It looks like quite a jump so hold off if you can.

Tease.

Around the Network

Oh you mean, exactly what I've been telling people for months...

Its almost as if I've built hundreds of computers and know from experience...oh wait I have....

This is precisely why AMD is the better choice right now, because high end CPUs (where intel rules) are pretty much worthless unless you're doing lots of video encoding or other CPU intensive tasks...which gaming simply isn't. Even high end physics engines don't really push the AMD X2s until you really start to do some crazy stuff with the editor.

To Each Man, Responsibility

Well I agree, but usually I use all the power of my CPUs, so is kinda uselless for me just buying a medium-low model, but yeah, PC is not that expensive, you just need to know what to buy...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."

I only use low cost AMD CPUs... a 90$ AMD CPU can play anythink...

www.cuidar.com.br

I just found a pretty nice AMD CPU for $80 on Newegg.....guess that guy was right, no need to get a E8400 or anything too expensive..

Around the Network

Hey, i was right on what i guessed without even needing much PC Knowledge. Go me.

Sqrl said:

Its almost as if I've built hundreds of computers and know from experience...oh wait I have....

This is precisely why AMD is the better choice right now, because high end CPUs (where intel rules) are pretty much worthless unless you're doing lots of video encoding or other CPU intensive tasks...which gaming simply isn't. Even high end physics engines don't really push the AMD X2s until you really start to do some crazy stuff with the editor.

I got kind of turned off by AMD's constant socket shuffling though. Are they planning on "upgrading" to make AM2+ obsolete any time soon?

I agree that buying quad cores for gaming is a waste of money though.  Looking at the article it looks like you'll be totally rockin' with a 2.66 Core 2 Duo.

epsilon72 said:
Sqrl said:

I got kind of turned off by AMD's constant socket shuffling though. Are they planning on "upgrading" to make AM2+ obsolete any time soon?

I agree that buying quad cores for gaming is a waste of money though.  Looking at the article it looks like you'll be totally rockin' with a 2.66 Core 2 Duo.

I'm with you: their schizophrenia on socket updates got to be so bad that they drove me to Intel after being an AMD-only guy for about 8 years.

exindguy said:
epsilon72 said:
Sqrl said:

I agree that buying quad cores for gaming is a waste of money though. Looking at the article it looks like you'll be totally rockin' with a 2.66 Core 2 Duo.

I'm with you: their schizophrenia on socket updates got to be so bad that they drove me to Intel after being an AMD-only guy for about 8 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_AM3

According to this, socket AM3 is due out by the end of the year. What's with the yearly upgrades to sockets? Is AMD trying to kill itself?

Anyways, the AM3 processors will supposedly be compatible with AM2 boards. We shall see.

Even though there's a fairly large performance gap between AMD and Intel, AMD would be nice if this socket mess gets straightened out because an AMD chip + mobo costs a lot less than an Intel chip + mobo. 

"AM2+ And AM3 Compatible With AM2 Motherboards
Currently if you want to upgrade from an AMD processor older than the AM2 socket you're going to have to buy a new motherboard. This means that while the prices of the processors themselves may be enticing, the prospect of potentially changing your entire system may change your mind. However, with its AM2+ and AM3 CPUs AMD will be ensuring that they are backwards compatible with current motherboards thus when Phenom finally hits the streets socket AM2, Athlon 64 X2 and FX owners will be able to purchase the new model without changing motherboards."

Source AMD

Link http://www.techpowerup.com/?35434

Remember the Intel upgrade path dies with Core2. Your LGA775 won't be compatible with Core3 and am I right in saying that some Nvidia chipsets aren't even compatible with 45nm penryns?

So a 45nm Core 2 you buy today can only be upgraded with a better Core2 or a Quad.

Tease.