By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Smash Bros. Brawl Official Updates

This has been my wallpaper for days:

But now it's that picture of Mario and Sonic posing like the oldest of homies from way back when. Wow. I think my boner just flew off into the night and turned into a constellation.

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

Around the Network
fazz said:

For you people!

how is sonic taller than mario.  If anything, i thought he was shorter.

who the fu** cares, they look awesome together! 

Here's a video from my band's last show Check out more (bigger) videos here http://www.youtube.com/user/icemanout
babycakes33 said:
Bacon they realized that Ike did not have a final smash thats why they delayed it.

XD

If Mega Man was in this game would just get cheesy.

Sonic is good, Mega Man is just stupid.

does anyone think we may see tails, knuckles, robotnik or any other crappy sonic characters?  As assit trophys or playable?  or will they leave it at sonic?

Here's a video from my band's last show Check out more (bigger) videos here http://www.youtube.com/user/icemanout
Around the Network

Btw, it was mentioned on the last page but should be brought up again: It now says TBA on the website for release date (formerly Dec. 3). This means we may be in for a delay.

MontanaHatchet said:
If Mega Man was in this game would just get cheesy.

Sonic is good, Mega Man is just stupid.

how so?  I'm not really a megaman fan at all, but how would he make this game cheesy?  Megaman is so classic

I hope they leave it at 1 or 2 Sonic items and a badass Sonic stage with a great selection of jams from Sonic 2. His jumping and attacking sound effects are fucking sweet.

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

FAQ CREATED BY: Random_Guy_42 of GameFAQs:

Our newest addition today was the Sonic icon, bringing the total up to 18, and increasing the list length to 20!

1: Smash Bros Logo (Smash Bros.)
2: “DK” Logo (Donkey Kong)
3: Great Fox Emblem (Star Fox)
4: Warp Star (Kirby)
5: “F-Zero” Logo
6: Screw Attack (Metroid)
7: Earth (Earthbound)
8: Pokeball (Pokemon)
9: Triforce (Legend of Zelda)
10: Mushroom (Mario)
11: Egg (Yoshi)
12: Sword (Fire Emblem)
13: <Unknown, presumed to be Game & Watch>
14: Eggplant (Ice Climber)
15: Leaf (Animal Crossing)
16: “W” (WarioWare)
17: FOXHOUND/Kojima Productions Emblem (Metal Gear)
18: Bow & Arrow (Kid Icarus)
19: ?
20: Sonic (Sonic the Hedgehog)

There is only one known icon that has not yet been used, and that is the Game & Watch Face from SSBM.

With the inclusion of Sonic’s icon to this list, the FAQ now has a slot for one new franchise! Speculate on which it may be!

In previous postings of this list, I have seen a number of posts along the lines of “What is
this list?”, “Why are they arranged like that?”, “Why is Wario number 16?”, “Why does the list only go to 18?” etc. To prevent these kinds of questions, I’ve included a Mini-FAQ (Next Post) which I hope will answer some of these questions.

Before we begin, I would like to draw attention to one point in particular, and that is: “Why does the list only go to 20?” It’s simple. This list only goes to 20 because that is the highest icon number we know of, belonging to Sonic. There may be, and probably are, numbers with icons higher then that. We just don’t know of them.

Icon FAQ

So what the heck is this list all about anyway?

As most of you have probably noticed, every update has a little icon in the top left corner. Some of these updates get a generic Smash icon (the one that’s behind the percentages of the Wire Frames, the Hands and Giga Bowser in Melee), however, most updates have icons that relate to the franchise they originated from. (Mario has the Mushroom, Link has the Triforce, etc.)

If you right-click these icons and view the source link for the images, you’ll see a link which ends in “world_b_##.gif”, where the ## is the number for whichever icon you are viewing. Taking the numbers on the end of these links and arranging them numerically gives us our above list. Also, the “b” in the link can be interchanged with a “w” to alternate between black and white backgrounds. There’s nothing fancy hidden in that part.

Since this was first discovered way back with the Mario and Link update, there have been many theories has to how these series corresponded with their numerical order, from it being simply alphabetical, to being the same as chronological release of the series. One of these theories was that the icons were loosely based on an order that went from original SSB icons, to Melee icons, to Brawl icons. As more icons were released, it became apparent that this tread was indeed being seen, so it is widely accepted as correct for the time being. It was previously thought that 3rd Party characters in Brawl would have their icons at the end of the list, but Snakes placement on the list has proven this is incorrect.

But hold on! What about items? Might they have their own icons, which would throw off this list?
As the icons are seen behind the damage percentages, and as items do not receive a damage tally, they don’t have their own icon. In Melee, we had the items like the Flipper (Balloon Fight) and Lip’s Stick (Panel de Pon) that were from games without playable characters and still had no icon. Dr. Wright has shown us this is the case for Brawl also, as his update featured the Brawl icon, and not some icon from SimCity.

So why bother showing us this list anyway? What’s the significance?

Excellent question. Prior to the announcement of the “Smashville” stage people had used this list to determine that there would be at least one other new series making its way into Brawl. This is because adding all the known icons at that point added up to 17, one less then Pit’s number of 18. To clarify, the Smash icon sits in the number one spot, and the original Smash gives us ten icons (Mario/Luigi & Pikachu/Jigglypuff share an icon each) totaling eleven icons. Adding in the three from Melee (Ice Climbers, Fire Emblem and Game & Watch) gave us fourteen, and adding the new icons in Brawl that are known (Kid Icarus, Wario and Metal Gear) (Meta Knight and ZSS don’t count, as they have the Kirby and Metroid icons respectively.) gave us our seventeen. This list was also used to determine whether a Mother character would be in (That symbol was the last SSB icon revealed at 7, so many assumed it would go there) and we may also be able to follow this up with Game & Watch’s inclusion if his icon turns out to be 13.

Because AC has a franchise icon along with all the other playable fighters, many believe that AC will have a playable fighter as well. However, it is still not yet known whether an AC character will join the fighting roster.

With the inclusion of Sonic’s icon to this list, the FAQ now has a slot for one new franchise! Speculate on which it may be!

Holy sh*t I have to buy a wii!!!
I bet the next 3rd party character is from capcom they are showing some love for nintendo ;)