By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Thoughts on Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts

Rare and all the previews have gushed about the potential of the user generated platforming.

Imagine Mario where you invented his powers (vehicles) instead of just picking up a feather and turning into a raccoon or a flower to get fireballs. All Banjo is doing is saying we're not going to decide the powers for you (flying, fireballs, etc) instead we're going to give you the tools (vehicle bits and pieces) and let you decide and create the powers (vehicles), so that you can progress through the game.

They're letting player creativity, rather than a designer's rigid rules, dominate the platforming.

To me that's close to genius.

It's really interesting reading people's opposition to Banjo not sticking to it's roots and the wtf reactions of many as it explains the Banjo conundrum perfectly.

Banjo does not appear to be a traditional platformer, and many seem to think it's not at all, but it actually fits the  generic (wiki) definition:

"Platform game, or platformer, is a video game genre characterized by jumping to and from suspended platforms or over obstacles. It must be possible to control these jumps and to fall from platforms or miss jumps. The most common unifying element to these games is a jump button; other jump mechanics include swinging from extendable arms, as in Ristar or Bionic Commando, or bouncing from springboards or trampolines, as in Alpha Waves. Games where jumping is automated completely, such as The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, fall outside of the genre."

The vehicles are merely user created powerups, instead of designer enforced powerups like mushrooms and feathers in Mario. Banjo without a vehicle is just like Mario without a powerup, you can platform like that or you can go get a mushroom (vehicle) to make things easier or solve a particular platforming level.

If any designers or developers have played Banjo Kazooie 3 I'd be interested in their thoughts, because if you deconstruct BK3's design philosophy the only difference from previous installments is that the player determines the composition of the platforming powerups rather than the designer.

Current Consoles: Xbox 360 Elite, Playstation 2, Gaming Rig, Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3.

Xbox Live: Jessman_Aus - Playing: Ace Combat 6, Fifa 09

Playstation Network: Jessman_Aus - Playing: MGS4, Resistance 2

Wii Freind Code: 3513-9191-8534-3866 - Playing: SSBB

Brawl Code: 1590-6125-1250

Xfire: J3ssman - Playing: Fallout 3, Farcry 2

Jessman: Fears the Mangina

Around the Network

I suspect that they are being a bit disingenuous with the idea that they let the players "invent" their powers. I seriously doubt they'll let me build an atom smasher. The game will more likely employ classic slight of hand to make you feel as though you are creating something, when in fact you will still, by and large, be building one of a handful of possible device with abilities pre-planned by the game designers- basically not that different from being able to mix and match weapons, items and spells/powers in an RPG. Not a bad thing (inherently, anyway - we'll see how well it's executed), just a further blurring of the genres that we have been seing for the past few years. I think I'd say it's clever, more than genius (which, if it's there, will be seen in the execution).

As for the limits of traditional platformers, that's sort of the point. Remove the limits, the challenge starts to fall by the way side. Platformers have always had a bit of a puzzle-element to them in their problem solving (how to get from A to B), and if you can simply remove all the rules... well, it'd be like completing a crossword puzzle by writing in random letters. Those rules and restrictions are part of the charm of the genre. But that's not to say we couldn't use an outgrowth from the traditional platformer into something new, either.

I agree to you to some extent, but in the trailer, you can see Banjo collecting parts, and putting them onto a chassis of a vehicle, i think the case is the parts are all over he place, or in a store, and you could make your own "Dream Machine", using the parts you want to complete a certain task, or chapter, who know's we'll have to wait for more details.

Current Consoles: Xbox 360 Elite, Playstation 2, Gaming Rig, Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3.

As with most player-generated games, there are limitations, and like misterd said, you're probably going to have to do things a certain way sometimes, or only really have a few options when designing something.

You could build a totally awesome "Dream machine," but I bet you'll need Type A or Type B to get up that cliff, etc.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Yeah, good valid point, ofcourse these vehicles, are going to be used to complete certain tasks, but i think there would be different vehicle modifications, like you could use "this" to get up "that" cliff, or turn your vehicle into a Aircraft, "Digger", Tank or something of the sort (Sorry i don't know the classes of vehicles as yet).

Ofcourse there is going to be limitations, i don't know of a game yet that doesn't have limitations and nothing is impossible, but these games are paving the road to those games, i find it very exciting.

Around the Network

Looking at it, it seems as though there will be a few options for each challenge in terms of what vehicle you build. I think the title looks great.

Welcome Blue-Lady, nice first post... i hope you have fun on VgChartz

Haha, I intend to. It's my first ever gaming forum membership.

Welcome, blue-lady.  What's that on your face?

On topic: 

After reading more about the game I'm not quite as...pessimistic about it. I still can't shake the feeling though that this is going to be another Perfect Dark Zero.

Oh yuck. ^ Dont mention PDZ. They ruined one of the best FPS's there. Sigh. However BK3 is looking tasty and I trust the team enough..

Welcome blu-lady.