By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - New Microsoft peripherals

thx1139 said:

Thats BS the Wii isnt designed around the controller. The motion controller could have been an add-on all along.

The newton controller doesnt need to be a game changer, a little success in making people think twice before they get a Wii is all MS needs it to do. Nothing more.

As for peripherals Guitar Hero and Rock Band show how successful a peripheral device can work. MS simply should release XNA Sports with the Newton and charge like $50 for it.

The Wii was designed around the controller. The hardware may be an evolution of the GC, but there are specific additions made because they decided they wanted a simple controller with motion sensing as their main input. Nintendo doesn't just make a console, they develope a console that is capable of running software with the features they want. Games are developed around the console, and the console is developed around the games, it is how Nintendo makes such high quality games.

As for peripherals, has the Guitar from Guitar Hero or Rock Band been used in any other game? If not, then the periphial did nothing to further the systems capabilites other than to play 1 game. If that is all the Newton will be capable of, then it will do nothing. Who would buy a XBox 360 for XNA Sports, when they can get a Wii with Wii Sports and hundreds of other games use the motion controlls too.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network
nordlead said:
thx1139 said:

Thats BS the Wii isnt designed around the controller. The motion controller could have been an add-on all along.

The newton controller doesnt need to be a game changer, a little success in making people think twice before they get a Wii is all MS needs it to do. Nothing more.

As for peripherals Guitar Hero and Rock Band show how successful a peripheral device can work. MS simply should release XNA Sports with the Newton and charge like $50 for it.

The Wii was designed around the controller. The hardware may be an evolution of the GC, but there are specific additions made because they decided they wanted a simple controller with motion sensing as their main input. Nintendo doesn't just make a console, they develope a console that is capable of running software with the features they want. Games are developed around the console, and the console is developed around the games, it is how Nintendo makes such high quality games.

As for peripherals, has the Guitar from Guitar Hero or Rock Band been used in any other game? If not, then the periphial did nothing to further the systems capabilites other than to play 1 game. If that is all the Newton will be capable of, then it will do nothing. Who would buy a XBox 360 for XNA Sports, when they can get a Wii with Wii Sports and hundreds of other games use the motion controlls too.

Still say that is BS what about the Wii hardware makes motion sensing better?  I am talking about everything on the motherboard.  Nothing that cant be done with software on a PS3 or 360.  Nintendo makes high quality games by having a high quality software development process (although not all of thier games are high quality).

Also no one is saying stop with XBA Sports.  It is just one way to get some adoption.  I actually think they will go another route with a high quality game rather than a novelty game (like WiiSports).  Also they dont need 100s of games using the motion controls. Just a couple of good ones just like the Wii only has a couple of good ones.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

well I don't see why they can't do a version packed in with the controller and one without for any game that can use it..... and I don't see why two sets of controle is not possible....
the real question is how good will it be and how well it will be implemented and supported by devs... if it's well marketed and sells game... I can see devs supporting it... in that case it can work... kind of like the gun for old consoles....

I can also see how they could use that thing for RTS... in which case they wouldn't be really copying Wii but more supporting the direction its already taking on that kind of games

I think the Lips device will simply just be a microphone, it's a kareoke game...

Now this is interesting, we've seen Rare show off Banjo nuts and bolts and Viva Pinata 2 now but no mention of a newton controller as those two games would be perfect for it.

Considering that games journalists have played BK with a normal controller, i don't think a motion controller is coming to the Xbox at all.

Microsoft are probably developing the newton controller for their next Xbox, same goes for the the Blue ray rumours.

So i'm pretty much 100% sure that we are not going to see a motion controller for the 360. If their not going to use it with BK, why even bother.

thx1139 said:
Frodaddyg said:
If the "Newton" is the motion controller, then I'm entirely indifferent to it. It won't touch the Wii, because the Wii is designed around the concept, and not a late in the game peripheral. Any peripheral released 2 years or more into a system's life is a complete afterthought. (Though the Rumble Pak was pretty bitchin'. Not really a focal point of an entire controller though.)

Lips device: Eh, wait and see what it is. If it's a karaoke game thing, I'll pass. I have Rock Band.

60 GB HD would be a step in the right direction. Throw it out on the market for ~$50 and it would sell in droves, I think. I know I'd get one, because $180 for the 120GB is ridiculous. My 20 GB will hold me over just fine until whatever point there's an affordable upgrade.

Thats BS the Wii isnt designed around the controller.  The motion controller could have been an add-on all along.

you look at it from a technical point of view, but from an image and brand point of view, you can not see the succes of the Wii without it's controls being the standard

''Hadouken!''

Around the Network
ookaze said:
Classical MS tactics : vaporware.
Unfortunately for them, like with the Zune promises, this will basically be ineffective.
The only effect it would have would be to prevent XB360 owners from buying a Wii, and rather waiting for the peripheral. I'm not even sure that would work either.

So you think Microsoft is intentionally leaking these rumors to try and hold back Wii and PS3 sales? Seriously? I am fairly certain these rumors will end up going no where at this point. I t was all supposed to be revealed at ganer's day, but now it is supposed to be revealed at E3. After E3 it will be revealed at the next big trade show.

You also might want to look up the definition of vaporware. The term in no way applies to the current situation. 

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229