By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Banjo Kazooie - Nuts and Bolts Trailer!!!!!!!!

Aw, that whole trailer is pretty disappointing. It doesn't look like it'll be a bad game, I was just hoping for something more in the same vein as the other two.

CIHYFS?

Around the Network

Amazing that people want to bash a game that seems to have racer/exploration elements in it.

#1. For those that are bashing the fact it's not a traditional platformer: didn't you hate Kameo too?

#2. For those that are bashing the flying/racing elements: Last I checked, Nintendo bastardized the Mario series with Mario Kart racing, and look at how that turned out.

I swear, you can't please the N-Fanboys unless it has Mario in it.

In fact, lets throw in a few extra marios in this one just to appease them into thinking it's an instant classic.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mrstickball said:
Amazing that people want to bash a game that seems to have racer/exploration elements in it.

#1. For those that are bashing the fact it's not a traditional platformer: didn't you hate Kameo too?

#2. For those that are bashing the flying/racing elements: Last I checked, Nintendo bastardized the Mario series with Mario Kart racing, and look at how that turned out.

I swear, you can't please the N-Fanboys unless it has Mario in it.

In fact, lets throw in a few extra marios in this one just to appease them into thinking it's an instant classic.

I think you're missing what people were upset about ... People had been told for months that Rare was producing another Banjo Kazooie game, and there was no warning that they were taking the game in a drastically different direction.

Personally, Banjo Kazooie was one my favourite platformers on the N64 (which had several good ones) in a large part because the level itself was a gigantic puzzle and you could collect all of the Jiggies in one run if you knew what you were doing; there was no need to endlessly repeat levels (in particular after you received an additional power-up) in order to finish the game. I was really hoping for some high quality (conventional) platforming action from this game ...

What we have gotten is a game we didn't really anticipate (or possibly want). In ways this response is similar to if 2K games announced a new Bioshock game was comming out, and when they finally displayed it the game turned out to be a Sims clone called Bioshock: The Raptures.

@Rath

Your analogy was very weak. The reality is that the racing genre is very diverse. Look at the staggering differences between Prologue and Mario Kart. You have racing on land, sea, air, and space. All of which tend to have radically different presentation, and often have radically different physics.

Platforming games are a sub genre of Action Adventure games. The presentation is almost always the same. A cute cuddly mascot character runs around a colorful environment jumping from one platform to another. That is the premise of platforming. Had you bothered to evaluate my post as a whole. You would see I was being hopeful that Rare can actually expand the genre.

Dodece said:
@Rath

Your analogy was very weak. The reality is that the racing genre is very diverse. Look at the staggering differences between Prologue and Mario Kart. You have racing on land, sea, air, and space. All of which tend to have radically different presentation, and often have radically different physics.

Platforming games are a sub genre of Action Adventure games. The presentation is almost always the same. A cute cuddly mascot character runs around a colorful environment jumping from one platform to another. That is the premise of platforming. Had you bothered to evaluate my post as a whole. You would see I was being hopeful that Rare can actually expand the genre.

I'm not so sure your example is fair ... You've (essentially) taken the one exception to the racing genre as an example of diversity.

The truth is that most established genres (Sports Games, Racing Games, Platformers, First Person Shooters, and RPGs)  are amazingly stale and most games produced for them are a paint-by-numbers experience. Every genre has their exceptions, but they tend to be hybrid games that combine one genre with another.

The reason why I would argue that platformers are not (that) stale is there is only one platformer of any note anymore, where there are dozens of practically identical First Person Shooters, Racing Games, and RPGs released every year.

Around the Network

Just read a preview of the game at giantbomb.com where they have actually played it and they called it "effin sick".

Super excited.

Here's what some nobody named Miyamoto thinks about the naysayers:

“We don't pay a whole lot of attention to the Internet until people have played the game - then we pay a lot of attention to whether people liked it. We read through it and see it, but we don't take it into consideration. ... [The Internet] is not going to dictate the direction of where the game goes.”

I'm not sure why everyone thinks this is a racing game just because they see vehicles in it. Every publication that went to England to play it says it's fantastic and came back saying it's still a platformer. It's a platformer using vehicles. Before you all make assumptions based upon a video, try to read up on the impressions of those that have played it. You'll get more info on the direction of the game that way. I personally can't wait. The online in this game is going to be, wait for it...legendary!

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Also has anyone seen the other preview on Xbox live? Rare said that for the people that like Banjo 1 and 2, there will be plenty of platforming. People need to wait for more data to come out before totally bashing it.

Kasz216 said:
Strategyking92 said:
BrainBoxLtd said:
Strategyking92 said:
naznatips said:
Strategyking92 said:
BenKenobi88 said:
Strategyking92 said:
WHEN DID THE XBOX FORUM TURN INTO THE NINTENDO ONE!!!!!

We're talking about Banjo Kazooie and related topics, please don't de-rail the thread.

and how is fable 2 related to mario???

What's Fable have to do with anything? Mario Sunshine was brought up by Rocket as a comparison, and then it was discussed whether this was a similar style or not. Also, if you didn't notice, there was a Mario in the trailer.

I don't see how it's so wrong to want Banjo to be a platformer. Seriously look how Jak Combat Racing turned out. There is plenty of reason to be disappointed with a franchise you enjoy not sticking to its genre at all.

All i'm saying is that every xbox thread eventually gets turned into a nintendo thread, one way or another. And nothing is ever done about it. It is starting to piss me off.

Blame Rare for blowing up an in-game created image of Mario at the end of thier trailer. =P

it doesn't explain why people are talking about everything mario now though.

Blame Dislolute who brought in Nintendo into the thread for no reason except to insult them.

Thats right...I did it. I brought in and insulted nintendo in this topic for no reason... The fact that people were saying this game should have been done creative but within the platforming realm like masterful Mario Galaxy had nothing to do with it.

disolitude said:
Kasz216 said:
Strategyking92 said:
BrainBoxLtd said:
Strategyking92 said:
naznatips said:
Strategyking92 said:
BenKenobi88 said:
Strategyking92 said:
WHEN DID THE XBOX FORUM TURN INTO THE NINTENDO ONE!!!!!

We're talking about Banjo Kazooie and related topics, please don't de-rail the thread.

and how is fable 2 related to mario???

What's Fable have to do with anything? Mario Sunshine was brought up by Rocket as a comparison, and then it was discussed whether this was a similar style or not. Also, if you didn't notice, there was a Mario in the trailer.

I don't see how it's so wrong to want Banjo to be a platformer. Seriously look how Jak Combat Racing turned out. There is plenty of reason to be disappointed with a franchise you enjoy not sticking to its genre at all.

All i'm saying is that every xbox thread eventually gets turned into a nintendo thread, one way or another. And nothing is ever done about it. It is starting to piss me off.

Blame Rare for blowing up an in-game created image of Mario at the end of thier trailer. =P

it doesn't explain why people are talking about everything mario now though.

Blame Dislolute who brought in Nintendo into the thread for no reason except to insult them.

Thats right...I did it. I brought in and insulted nintendo in this topic for no reason... The fact that people were saying this game should have been done creative but within the platforming realm like masterful Mario Galaxy had nothing to do with it.

Yeah, it did have nothing to do with it. Nobody made any mention of SMG OR Nintendo before your post besides mentioning the N64 BK games. They were talking about being disappointed BK3 wasn't more platform oriented. Your original post CAUSED people to make the SMG comments.