By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii, Xbox 360 sales gain, PS3 stable on Ebay

Tispower said:

2[...]C) If you have a newer version of the product, so if you bought a new phone, then you might sell your old one because it is no longer needed, and so effectively reduces the cost of the new one.

[...] 

So any neext-gen console being sold on eBay is not going to be effected by 2C

Not true. Both the 360 and the PS3 have/had (respectively) different models for sale.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
soccerdrew17 said:
the wii is only higher because it is rare in some places. if you could find one (ps3 and elite) than you couldnt sell it for higher than you paid. wii being high just means it is still hard to find. it doesnt mean anything else.

But that is the data the author was after. We can also infer that the Wii is selling better than the others (thus reafirming sales statistics) since they are harder to find while the others are readily available assuming they are all supplying similar amounts to retailers.

I am actually very surprised that the Wii is still selling for more than retail on Ebay. It basically means that the demand still hasnt flattened out and that it is still climbing. From a quick search i found that the last few consoles that sold (new or used) range as follows:

PS3 ~ $425(used + 3 games) to $512(new with game)
Wii ~ $298(used) to $355(new with game)
360 ~ $200(used) to $350(new elite + 1 game) -> Ebay $200 360

The used 360's look like a steal to me but the low prices are also a bit alarming.

Another thing you've got to remember about the Wii prices.

If it's hard to find people are paying for not having the hassle of finding it. It might be worth $50 NOT to get up at 6am on sunday to be in line.

Tispower said:
Once the Wiis demand is met, thenthe three consoles ebay's sales will only be affected by reasons 2A and 2B. Therefore whichever console is highest in sales on eBay, is theoretically going to be the most dissatisfying.

It's not which console is highest in sales on eBay that matters, it's which console has the highest sales on eBay when compared to the installed userbase.  There's probably a lot of PS2's up on eBay but that doesn't mean it's the worst console 'cause everyone hates it, just more people happen to have them to sell. :P

Cex near me is still giving £180 trade in value for a Wii which is retail price in the UK and selling any they get for £220, PS3 is going for £360.

Even Gamestation is selling Preowned Wiis for £180 and they currently have a PS3 with game for £400.

Around the Network

@DKII, I totally forgot about that, in which case you'll have to only use the sale as a proportion of the total userbase, to find out which is the most dissatisfactory. However, eBay sales are useless atm, and will continue to be so until the Wii comes below list price. @NJ5, yeah there have been different versions, but the only people who are really going to buy a 3rd gen console for that reason are going to be 360 owners who couldn't buy the Elite when they bought theirs.

One person's experience or opinion never shows the general consensus

PSN ID: Tispower

MSN: tispower1@hotmail.co.uk