By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Kojima misquoted when referring to ps3's power.

Well, he got my email and I was unbanned. I still think his post is all kinds of weird.

Around the Network

This smells of smacked wrists and Sony telling him to back pedal. What an excuse about the translation thing. Kojima lost some respect from me.

selnor said:
This smells of smacked wrists and Sony telling him to back pedal. What an excuse about the translation thing. Kojima lost some respect from me.

Kojima doesn't work for Sony.

I don't see much difference between the original and the revised claims. All I see is a rewording which changes nothing. He thought the PS3 was more powerful than it is, period.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

This, my friends, is what we call cultural differences. Something written in a Japanese manner of speech will seem weak and insecure if read by for example an American with little knowledge of Japanese culture, while an American talking as normal to a Japanese guy might seem boastful and completely lacking in manners.

I'd love to think we Europeans occupy the healthy middle ground and understand the flaws in both extremes, but in reality I'm just so used to my own culture I have a hard time defining it. =P

Around the Network

sigh at kotaku and GT.

selnor said:

Oh rubbish.  I work with translators a lot and they frequently get things wrong - particularly from a language like Japanese to English it happens all the time.  Plus the whole issue revolves around a well known truth that Japanese culture when speaking publically or praising anything is totally the opposite of US in particular and Western culture in general.

In Japanese culture you don't brag and you make clear shortcomings.  The guy obviously said that in the end his original vision went beyodn current consoles and had in the end to be adjusted to what was actually possible.  This was then taken all out of context and he's trying to address the issue now.  As for his comment on 'its the best' what he means is in US you say 'ours is the best' (which you wouldn't in Japan) so he's just saying maybe in future he should just give the short Western spin answer and leave it at that.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Now that I've re-read Kojima's new declarations, I'm even more confused. In the original declarations, he said two things:

1- MGS4 doesn't have everything he wanted to put in it.
2- The PS3 is not as powerful as he thought.

Now check out this quote from these new declarations:

"Let's say this developer is making hardware, in this case a game"

Hardware? Or a game? This is confusing especially considering that his original declarations are both about hardware and software. Make up your mind Kojima (or don't write in English if you can't get your point clearly across).

Taking this second reading into light, he seems to be rewording his claims on the software side (but not really changing his original point), and simply not touching the PS3 hardware issue. Is that your interpretation too? How does this article really contribute to the issue?

Euhm Kojima didn't wrote in english...

Someone translated in Japanese.....If you could understand Japanese you know that Kojima always speak very confusing it is almost impossible to translate that without a error...

konnichiwa said:
Euhm Kojima didn't wrote in english...

Someone translated in Japanese.....If you could understand Japanese you know that Kojima always speak very confusing it is almost impossible to translate that without a error...

If he didn't write in English then the translator who wrote this new piece did a piss poor job. At least for me, these new quotes don't clear up the issue at all, they only make it seem like the original translation was good enough.