By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - GTAIV Owns Mario Kart Wii

what i say might sound impossible, but:

as Wii sales will increase faster and faster than Xbox360 and Ps3, games like Mario Kart, SSBBor M Galaxy will keep on selling, just like Zelda, so maybe after some years, Mario Kart sales may be higher....

i know it will take long, but if Wii keeps selling like this, it may happen!!

even if i don't like GTA IV as much as Mario Kart, i'll buy it, because i only have 1 Ps3 game!! :p

Wii console: 0595 8808 5698 2709
Super Smash Bros Brawl: 1161 1357 5188

Mario Kart Wii: 1633 4506 4319

PES 2008: 1633 5820 0347

DragonBall Z BT 3: 3823 9760 9484

Pokemon Battle Revolution: 3480 2645 9186
Feel free to add me, and sent me a pm with your Friend Code!!

Around the Network
Dodece said:

Mario Kart is a hybrid or racing, and third person shooter.

EH?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

hanafuda said:
The interesting thing is that Nintendo decided, intentionally, to go head to head with GTA IV.

They didn't have to, but they did.

Therefore, the comparison is more than valid.

So Nintendo sees its second largest first week sales ever, and you think this is bad in any way? Mario Kart was never going to outsell GTA first week. The thought that it would is simply absurd. I am amazed at how well it managed to do honestly.

Dodece said:

The titles are direct competition to one another. Your arguments to the effect that are not the same genre are ridiculous. Mario Kart has no proper genre. How many Kart racers do you actually see annually for all platforms. You just want the game to be permanently safe from comparison. Mario Kart is a hybrid or racing, and third person shooter. Grand Theft Auto shockingly is about racing around and shooting things in third person. The only relevant difference is the scope Rockstar was not rigid with their concept. While Nintendo lives, breathes, and breeds inside of the box. Basically were Niko nailed into his car most gamers would acknowledge the similarity.

Mario Kart is a hybrid third person shooter? That is the stupidest thing I have ever read on the internet. I just woke up so I half hope I am dreaming this, but can you defend that assertion at all? Is it because there are items in the game? That in no way makes it a hybrid third person shooter. Not even close to valid there. The game is an arcade racer. and in no way does it compete directly with GTA 4. And if Niko were nailed into his car they would be similar, but GTA 4 would be a completely different game.

Dodece:

You say they do not appeal to the same specific audience, and that I have probably never played the series. You would be very wrong. I own Mario Kart 64, Double Dash, and rented the game for SNES only thirty times. I have probably spent well over five hundred hours playing Mario Kart. One of my favorite series of all time, but I am also not a blind fan. I know when Nintendo isn't giving out an honest effort. You know who likes Mario Kart people that like to play with other people. The difference so far this generation there are more games to play with other people, and a great many of them have greater value. They have a greater value, because the developer put in the time, and tried to think outside of the formula.

Nintendo on the other hand has the rules of the game set into concrete. The series has not evolved as much as it has stayed disappointingly the same, and sadly Nintendo is going to be rewarded for their play it the same policy. Had you asked me ten years ago where the series would be right now. I would have told you over sixty tracks, a map builder, customizable rules, and vastly improved artificial intelligence. Instead its basically the same game it was ten years ago. With the same faults, no greater functionality, and Nintendo still being stingy with track allotment. The question I ask is why buy the new when it really is the same as the old.

After reading this I am convinced you have not played Mario Kart Wii at all.  I am not even certain you actually read up on the game at all. The rules are very different this time around. Snaking, a technique previously gaining in power fro, iteration to iteration, got the shit nerfed out of it. You can still do it on occasion, but it is not nearly as effective as it once was. Tricks are an entirely new mechanic that drastically alters how a race will play out. Individual stat adjustments for characters is the most in-depth, and game altering it has ever been. Bikes are entirely new and half a nice set of entirely new mechanics that completely changes the field of play. The game is dramatically different from Double Dash! and very different from Mario Kart DS.

Just because the series has stayed the same in some aspects does not mean it is a cash out. It means they are staying true to their fanbase. Yes the fact that you are Mario characters racing around a track is the same, but that is just the surface of it all. In the same way you dismiss Mario Kart Wii, I could dismiss any sequel that does not completely change the game and that includes your precious GTA 4. It turns out people like some things to carry over into a sequel. I would recomend you do a bare minimum amount of research and learn how much the series has actually evolved before saying retarded comments.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

MKWii will be > GTA4 combined by end of year.

Breaking News!!!

Manchester United has just beaten West Ham 2 to 1.
This amazing and unexpected result shocked the football world to such an extent that on football forums around the globe people are making threads in which they wonder how on earth this was possible.

Around the Network

Dodece said:

Mario Kart is a hybrid or racing, and third person shooter.

Lmao  @this comment

lol, it has a point, banana and shell shooting!! ;p

Wii console: 0595 8808 5698 2709
Super Smash Bros Brawl: 1161 1357 5188

Mario Kart Wii: 1633 4506 4319

PES 2008: 1633 5820 0347

DragonBall Z BT 3: 3823 9760 9484

Pokemon Battle Revolution: 3480 2645 9186
Feel free to add me, and sent me a pm with your Friend Code!!

Of course that is why samus is supposedly not good enough for MKwii , but rockstar has been begging her to be in gtaIV and she turns them down. Pfft.

Dodece said:

Your arguments to the effect that are not the same genre are ridiculous. Mario Kart has no proper genre. How many Kart racers do you actually see annually for all platforms. You just want the game to be permanently safe from comparison. Mario Kart is a hybrid or racing, and third person shooter. Grand Theft Auto shockingly is about racing around and shooting things in third person. The only relevant difference is the scope Rockstar was not rigid with their concept. While Nintendo lives, breathes, and breeds inside of the box. Basically were Niko nailed into his car most gamers would acknowledge the similarity. 

There are some times when you just have to stop and marvel at the pure hilarity of some statements.  This is one of those times.

Yes everybody, GTAIV is a racing game and Mario Kart Wii is a third person shooter.  You sir have made my day.

RolStoppable said:
BengaBenga said:
Breaking News!!!

Manchester United has just beaten West Ham 2 to 1.
This amazing and unexpected result shocked the football world to such an extent that on football forums around the globe people are making threads in which they wonder how on earth this was possible.

Great, ManU won the Premier League.

@Dodece

As time passes by, your Nintendo related posts get more and more ridiculous. It seems like you would try your best to avoid any logic and common sense, all the while applying double standards like Nintendo making a sequel is a cash-in and Rockstar making a sequel is putting hard work into it.

Or is everything you write some sort of clever sarcasm?

It's not only way to compare it but typically the amount of money you poor into a game development is a good showing of how much effort was put into it.

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !