By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Ds Remodel

That thing is ugly and bulky looks fragile too many moving parts.

Next DS they should just keep the basic clamshell design (maybe try to add minor cosmetic things to the outer case) just make the screens wider add a little more power to maybe at least DC quality visuals (by now I think they can keep the batt life the same with beefed up visuals) Make Picto chat fully wi fi and make it multi touch screen.

Around the Network
Ryudo said:

Next DS they should just keep the basic clamshell design (maybe try to add minor cosmetic things to the outer case) just make the screens wider add a little more power to maybe at least DC quality visuals (by now I think they can keep the batt life the same with beefed up visuals) Make Picto chat fully wi fi and make it multi touch screen.

More than DC. That would be like .5 times more powerful than the ds now. The ds is considerably more powerful than the n64. And why would it be weaker than a last gen handheld (psp). I say at least gamecube,  if not around original xbox.

sc94597 said:
Ryudo said:

More than DC. That would be like .5 times more powerful than the ds now. The ds is considerably more powerful than the n64. And why would it be weaker than a last gen handheld (psp). I say at least gamecube, if not around original xbox.

No it isn't.

DS is slightly more powerful than PSOne with a processor going at 67MHz and can only do a few thousand polys more than N64 but not by much.

Even N64 had speeds of 97MHz and just could pull off about the ame poly's as a PSone .

DC used a 200MHz processor and could push up to 3 million poly's per second. And as for a Gamecube/Xbox version..um no isn't happenin unless you want a Nomad II.

And who cares if it's less powerful than PSP still ..not like it's affected sales of the current DS to PSP now or in the console wars  Wii compared to 360/PS3.

Maybe you should stick to Samus Kart topics.

Those shoulder buttons look horribly uncomfortable.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

i cant see anything like that hapening, especialy with guitar hero ds just around the corner

Around the Network
Ryudo said:
sc94597 said:
Ryudo said:

More than DC. That would be like .5 times more powerful than the ds now. The ds is considerably more powerful than the n64. And why would it be weaker than a last gen handheld (psp). I say at least gamecube, if not around original xbox.

No it isn't.

DS is slightly more powerful than PSOne with a processor going at 67MHz and can only do a few thousand polys more than N64 but not by much.

Even N64 had speeds of 97MHz and just could pull off about the ame poly's as a PSone .

DC used a 200MHz processor and could push up to 3 million poly's per second. And as for a Gamecube/Xbox version..um no isn't happenin unless you want a Nomad II.

And who cares if it's less powerful than PSP still ..not like it's affected sales of the current DS to PSP now or in the console wars Wii compared to 360/PS3.

The ds has two proccesors. One is clocked at 66mhz the other at 33mhz. Then you forget that the ds' arm processors are more efficient than the n64s VR4300. They both have the same amount of ram , but I believe the ds' is faster. The n64 wa capable of more polygons, but the ds is capable of 262,144 colors while the n64 is only capable 32,000 colors on-screen. Then you have the ability to fit more on the ds cart which means less compressed files. Oh and the ds runs at a lower resolution, allowing more to be done in the hardware. The ds is capable of alot better textures because they don't have to be compressed, and has better effects. The ds is far more capable than the n64.

Btw When has a system been weaker than a console from a generation before. Even when inovating the consoles have been upgraded graphically. Oh and nice attacking me with a thread I made 3 months ago.

edit: I forgot to add the only advantage the n64 has over the ds is that it has bilinear and trilinear filtering. Which nobody could really tell the difference except thos adapted to.

Edit2: Oh and there are more sacrifices for a game to run at 60fps on the n64 than the ds. Most games run at 60fps on the ds.  

FYI @ anyone who is not as pissed off by the music as disolitude:

The piece was composed and played by Yann Tiersen. It‘s called “Comptine d‘un autre été: L‘après midi” and can be found on the beautiful soundtrack for Jean-Pierre Jeunet‘s beautiful movie “Le fabuleux destin d‘Amélie Poulain“ starring beautiful Audrey Tautou.

sc94597 said:
Ryudo said:
sc94597 said:
Ryudo said:

No it isn't.

And who cares if it's less powerful than PSP still ..not like it's affected sales of the current DS to PSP now or in the console wars Wii compared to 360/PS3.

The ds has two proccesors. One is clocked at 66mhz the other at 33mhz. Then you forget that the ds' arm processors are more efficient than the n64s VR4300. They both have the same amount of ram , but I believe the ds' is faster. The n64 wa capable of more polygons, but the ds is capable of 262,144 colors while the n64 is only capable 32,000 colors on-screen. Then you have the ability to fit more on the ds cart which means less compressed files. Oh and the ds runs at a lower resolution, allowing more to be done in the hardware. The ds is capable of alot better textures because they don't have to be compressed, and has better effects. The ds is far more capable than the n64.

Btw When has a system been weaker than a console from a generation before. Even when inovating the consoles have been upgraded graphically. Oh and nice attacking me with a thread I made 3 months ago.

edit: I forgot to add the only advantage the n64 has over the ds is that it has bilinear and trilinear filtering. Which nobody could really tell the difference except thos adapted to.

Edit2: Oh and there are more sacrifices for a game to run at 60fps on the n64 than the ds. Most games run at 60fps on the ds.

Wiki much?

If you truly knew this you would have never said BS like ".5 more powerful" which does not make much sense. 

And about the samus comment..um it's in your sig.

Dreamcast rivaled some PS2 games first couple years ..nothing on DS can ever rival anything on DC or PS2 or even come within a hundred miles of it. As good as the upcoming games like FFIV or released games like Prime Hunters,Zelda or Ninja Gaiden would look absolute crap even on DC and this is now 4 years into the systems lifecycle pretty much showing it's best and still looks like slightly better than PSone games.(most PSone games did look better than N64 but mainly due to carts vs CD roms..while N64 tried to smooth out pixels but still ended up looking more blocky) That brings up another point The carts for DS hold far less data (even though in more recent releases the cart has been expanded quietly) DC used GD roms (since DVD roms was too expensive then) and the GD rom disc can hold 1 GB of data...latest updated DS carts about a 3rd of that.

Hell even early dev kits for DS was just an over clocked GBA with a SNES controller...since then it was switched to the blue box.(basically the guts of a DS in a big ugly box)

looks rlly weak to me

Ryudo said:
sc94597 said:
Ryudo said:
sc94597 said:
Ryudo said:

No it isn't.

Wiki much?

If you truly knew this you would have never said BS like ".5 more powerful" which does not make much sense.

And about the samus comment..um it's in your sig.

Dreamcast rivaled some PS2 games first couple years ..nothing on DS can ever rival anything on DC or PS2 or even come within a hundred miles of it. As good as the upcoming games like FFIV or released games like Prime Hunters,Zelda or Ninja Gaiden would look absolute crap even on DC and this is now 4 years into the systems lifecycle pretty much showing it's best and still looks like slightly better than PSone games.(most PSone games did look better than N64 but mainly due to carts vs CD roms..while N64 tried to smooth out pixels but still ended up looking more blocky) That brings up another point The carts for DS hold far less data (even though in more recent releases the cart has been expanded quietly) DC used GD roms (since DVD roms was too expensive then) and the GD rom disc can hold 1 GB of data...latest updated DS carts about a 3rd of that.

Hell even early dev kits for DS was just an over clocked GBA with a SNES controller...since then it was switched to the blue box.(basically the guts of a DS in a big ugly box)

The .5 was exaggeration. I don't know how you think ps1 games looked better than n64 games, but here is an example of two high profile games on each system.

And here is ocarina of time.

Which looks more impressive? ANd just because it's in my sig doesn't mean it's there to attack me with. It is just to joke around. The only thing the ps1 could do that the n64 couldn't was fmv. Oh and you stll didn't answer my question on a console being weaker than a previous one.

Edit

How bout I add some ds graphics.