By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Official Valkyria Chronicles Thread

Words Of Wisdom said:
outlawauron said:
Aj_habfan said:
What exactly is an SRPG? I love RTS games on the PC, and the only other strategy type game I've played is Advance Wars and that series is one of my favourites. Do you think I will like this?

It is a Stratgety Role Playing Game. It is a very niche genre that has a small rabid fanbase.

And yes Advance Wars is a SRPG.

No, Fire Emblem is a sRPG.  Advance Wars is a TBS game.

No, you're right. The gameplay and mechanics are identical though.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
Words Of Wisdom said:
Kasz216 said:
akuma587 said:
Yeah, the PSP is great for SRPG's. I finished Jeanne D'Arc recently, although I thought it got a little too easy towards the end. At least the lass boss battle was pretty difficult and some of the sidequests were definitely challenging.

I am playing through Disgaea 2 right now to get ready for Disgaea 3! I will say I am more excited about Valkyria Chronicles than Disgaea 3 though, but I am getting both Day 1.

Yeah i'm doing the same. Sadly however i got to the point of where my vastly underleveled party hits where you end up needing to do a lot of pointless grinding.

My highest guy is Yukimaru at like... 39 and i'm on the last "Level" of the main quest where all the stages have level 50+ characters.

Just can't smart my way through the stage where everyone takes 20% damage until you power through and blow up the tile real quick.

The situation seems tough even if i were at the same level... guess i'll have to power grind and level up some weapons in the item world finally.

You don't need to. There are a couple of tricks you can use to level easily if you want. Of course, getting one of them requires a bit of ingenuity. ^_^

Oh?  I was just using the Cave of Ordeals after i opened it up with all the extra mana i had stored up.  That one seems like a good way to level grind.  Kinda got sick of it though.  Disgaea isn't bad... but gameplay wise it just doesn't hold up to other SRPGs to me like Fire Emblem or Super Robot Wars.  Just something about it i can't place my finger on.

outlawauron said:
Kasz216 said:
makingmusic476 said:
This will be my first SRPG. Considering the fact that I like strategy games, and I've enjoyed what few RPGs I've played, I should love it. :)

I'm surprised you haven't gotten Joan D'Arc, Disgaea or Final Fantasty Tactics: Lions War. What with having the PSP and all.

PSP's aren't region free are they?

He doesn't have a PSP. He got a DS. >_>

The PSP games in his profile threw me off... thought he had both.

memory2zack said:
Kasz216 said:

Meanwhile Fire Emblem sold better in the US then Japan. Which is... weird for a SRPG. I attribute it a lot to the Fire Emblem name... people know the name... it was some fanatical fans.

It´s not a surprise, since FE has been selling less and less in Japan with each iteration. The first FEs sold well over 500k in Japan. I attribute that to the fact that FE has always been a stale franchise with minimal improvement.

Valkyria Chronicles is making lots of steps forward as a SRPG and I am confident I will enjoy a lot, I haven´t honestly enjoyed SRPGs since FFT and FE: Sacred Stones. AS for Operation Darkness, don´t even mention that abomination in front of Valkyria Chronicles :P

I wouldn't say severel steps foward. It is improving opon the Future Tactics system though. The battles and movement work out exactly like future tactics but they added a cover system so your character can't move without impunity.

I really enjoyed that game because it was a fresh new look on SRPG gameplay. Of course everything but the gameplay mechanics sucked, including the art, characters and upgrade system.

Well the full destructability was good...

for a comparison

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBt9iYNRyFw

Gameplay as you can see is real similar.

Everything else seems about spot on the same combat wise. Even the opponents stopping fire while you aim up your shot.

Honestly i like to think the people who made Valkryie played this game and had the same idea I did. As Valkrie is the exact idea i had after playing this game. Well outside of the fantasy WW2 setting. I would of just set it in regular WW2.

well, at least this game has somewhat kept me on the sony camp. cant wait for this to be released. this is first day buy for me. this and probably golden axe if its any good.

wish they release an english version of tears to tiara and x edge....but highly unlikely.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
outlawauron said:
Kasz216 said:
makingmusic476 said:
This will be my first SRPG. Considering the fact that I like strategy games, and I've enjoyed what few RPGs I've played, I should love it. :)

I'm surprised you haven't gotten Joan D'Arc, Disgaea or Final Fantasty Tactics: Lions War. What with having the PSP and all.

What PSP games in my profile?   >_>

Jeanne D'Arc really makes me want a PSP though.  I really like Level 5's work.

outlawauron said:
Words Of Wisdom said:

No, Fire Emblem is a sRPG. Advance Wars is a TBS game.

No, you're right. The gameplay and mechanics are identical though.

No, the gameplay and mechanics are completely different. Perhaps you thought like me that they would be the same because IntSys did both series, but no, they're nothing alike in gameplay or in mechanics. The only thing similar is that they both require strategy. But in FE, strategy involves not losing your characters, while in Advance Wars (AW) the best strategy often requires you to lose some units (to get the 100 % ratings with the best medals, I've not finished the game yet so I don't remember clearly, I will have to finish this one though, once I clear FFTA). In FE, you can basically choose who you want to bring if you play well, and clear easily most missions, while in AW, you have to carefully choose your general and his backup to get the best scores (which gives you more experience and allows for the best generals). If you don't get constantly the 100 % rating in AW, getting them after some missions becomes impossible. In FE, ganging up on one powerful unit is useless as it won't help you much, only will get more of your units die, while in AW, it's effective (like in most pure strategy games). There are lots of other fundamental differences.

makingmusic476 said:
Kasz216 said:
outlawauron said:
Kasz216 said:
makingmusic476 said:

What PSP games in my profile? >_>

Jeanne D'Arc really makes me want a PSP though. I really like Level 5's work.

Huh couldn't swore i saw 3 when i looked in your profile last time.  Must of been the PS games.

Kasz216 said:
Words Of Wisdom said:

You don't need to. There are a couple of tricks you can use to level easily if you want. Of course, getting one of them requires a bit of ingenuity. ^_^

Oh?  I was just using the Cave of Ordeals after i opened it up with all the extra mana i had stored up.  That one seems like a good way to level grind.  Kinda got sick of it though.  Disgaea isn't bad... but gameplay wise it just doesn't hold up to other SRPGs to me like Fire Emblem or Super Robot Wars.  Just something about it i can't place my finger on.

I like the Dark World for early leveling.  Especially the very first map.

You can get there even though you need to beat the level 100 character by putting her to sleep and poisoning her.  She'll just die and you'll never get touched.

The first map has 3 level 80 Mothman enemies that are fairly easy to kill.  Use Adel's strongest fire attack against one that has -50% Fire and it's usually an instant kill even at low levels.  Have a Thief run up and put one to sleep and you can focus on the other two. 

The Dark World event respawns all enemies though.  So every two turns, the two dead mothman enemies will come back (meanwhile the 3rd one is in dreamland courtesy of your Thief).  Consequently, you can fight and combo till you have every bonus on the stage too.

I like that trick because you can do it at relatively low levels and get some really awesome items through bonus (which you wouldn't get otherwise). ^_^

Words Of Wisdom said:
Kasz216 said:
Words Of Wisdom said:

Oh? I was just using the Cave of Ordeals after i opened it up with all the extra mana i had stored up. That one seems like a good way to level grind. Kinda got sick of it though. Disgaea isn't bad... but gameplay wise it just doesn't hold up to other SRPGs to me like Fire Emblem or Super Robot Wars. Just something about it i can't place my finger on.

I like the Dark World for early leveling. Especially the very first map.

You can get there even though you need to beat the level 100 character by putting her to sleep and poisoning her. She'll just die and you'll never get touched.

The first map has 3 level 80 Mothman enemies that are fairly easy to kill. Use Adel's strongest fire attack against one that has -50% Fire and it's usually an instant kill even at low levels. Have a Thief run up and put one to sleep and you can focus on the other two.

The Dark World event respawns all enemies though. So every two turns, the two dead mothman enemies will come back (meanwhile the 3rd one is in dreamland courtesy of your Thief). Consequently, you can fight and combo till you have every bonus on the stage too.

I like that trick because you can do it at relatively low levels and get some really awesome items through bonus (which you wouldn't get otherwise). ^_^

I'll have to try that when i get back to it... might be a couple months after i get MLB power Pros. The RPG create a character modes are so unbelivably addicting. Plus I wanna get through both Fire Emblems in the ike series...