By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Official Valkyria Chronicles Thread

What exactly is an SRPG? I love RTS games on the PC, and the only other strategy type game I've played is Advance Wars and that series is one of my favourites. Do you think I will like this?

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:

Meanwhile Fire Emblem sold better in the US then Japan. Which is... weird for a SRPG. I attribute it a lot to the Fire Emblem name... people know the name... it was some fanatical fans.

It´s not a surprise, since FE has been selling less and less in Japan with each iteration. The first FEs sold well over 500k in Japan. I attribute that to the fact that FE has always been a stale franchise with minimal improvement. 

Valkyria Chronicles is making lots of steps forward as a SRPG and I am confident I will enjoy a lot, I haven´t honestly enjoyed  SRPGs since FFT and FE: Sacred Stones. AS for Operation Darkness, don´t even mention that abomination in front of Valkyria Chronicles :P

Aj_habfan said:
What exactly is an SRPG? I love RTS games on the PC, and the only other strategy type game I've played is Advance Wars and that series is one of my favourites. Do you think I will like this?

It is a Stratgety Role Playing Game. It is a very niche genre that has a small rabid fanbase.

And yes Advance Wars is a SRPG.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

I bet no one knows what those words in Latin stand for from the excerpt of the poem. " It is sweet to die for one's country " read the entire poem to understand why it's a lie :)

Im definitely getting this game, i played the crap out of Fire Emblem and another FE for the GBA, and Advanced Wars Dual Strike, and a few other AW games on the GBA. Though i beat NONE of the games that i mentioned above because they all get incredibly difficult and time consuming towards the end. Hopefully its different with Valkyria Chronicles

Around the Network
outlawauron said:
Aj_habfan said:

It is a Stratgety Role Playing Game. It is a very niche genre that has a small rabid fanbase.

And yes Advance Wars is a SRPG.

No, Fire Emblem is a sRPG.  Advance Wars is a TBS game.

Aj_habfan said:

Your best bet is to look at some of the gameplay vids. If the really long one that includes a lot of gameplay isn't on here I will look for it, but there is also one on the PSN that includes some gameplay. This is actually really different for an SRPG, and is more like a fusion of an SRPG and a FPS, but more turn-based than a game like Mass Effect.

Edit: Look on Page 3 of this thread and you will find a lot of vids.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

This game looks pretty good. I'm pretty sure I'll buy wen it releases, but it'll depend on the situation. I hope it doesn't get released near R2.

Zuhyc said:
This game looks pretty good. I'm pretty sure I'll buy wen it releases, but it'll depend on the situation. I hope it doesn't get released near R2.

Make room in your budget for this one.  Keep in mind, the purchases you make dictate the game variety on the console.

Words Of Wisdom said:
Zuhyc said:

Make room in your budget for this one.  Keep in mind, the purchases you make dictate the game variety on the console.

I know that. And that's the reason why I'm looking at Disgaea 3 as well. All PS3 fans should stop whining about the shortage of PS3 RPG's and buy these 2 to show the devs RPG's will sell on the PS3.

I just noticed something, the EU site of Sega says the game will release in november 2008, while the American says Fall 2008. The releases will be really close!