By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Future of Virtual Console

Hi guys, last night I was thinking about the future of Virtual Console. VC is fantastic for the retro-games because It support games of all major 2D console of '80-'90 ( I'm in love with Snes ). Now is obviously that narrow the retro-games ( that development cost i near zero ) Nintendo and other companies will release entire new titles. Some people knowing GT HD or Tekken 5 for PSN would think that also VC must get all 3D, engrossing games ( with size over 100 MB ) I realized that GBA even , if it was a console with lack of innovation, had one smart features : It can play only 2D games, in a time when all console use only 3D ( ironically this can be seen as an innovation ). 2D market would have a huge potential thanks to many lapsed gamers, casual that like simple games and hardcore gamers. 2D games can not be so profitable if they are shipped through normal distribuition channel but VC resolves that problem. A strong "niche" with low development cost will be very profitable. Snes-like games are in my opinion fantastic and their max size can be 8-16 MB ( like GBA roms ) so SDcard will be enough especially with compression algorithm and download time will be quick. I'll dream the new VC games like they would be Snes spiritual inheritance. What do you think about a true Chrono Trigger sequel ? or about a brand new 2D jRPG by SquareEnix ? or play to the never released StarFox 2 ? or play to 2D scrolling shooters of old days ? or Viewtiful Joe comeback to entirily 2D game ? A "new" Super Mario Bros exclusively for VC could sell like New Super Mario Bros ( but cost far less ) ... Am I a Fool ? PS : Also can download mini-braintraining to use with 3D pointer will be a very good idea especially for my mother

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.

Around the Network

I don't know exactly what Nintendo's plans are but I agree that unreleased games (depending on their completeness) and things like Japan-only games being released in the West are definitely cards Nintendo can play.

In my opinion, I don't think Nintendo will release too many new officially licensed franchise games like Mario or Star Fox on the virtual console. I do think third parties could use it to make games though. I think Nintendo will stick to the DS/Wii/whatever in future years to release official games. I hope support for an external hard drive / flash drive becomes available. If Nintendo made or supported an external hard drive, it would bring so many more possibilities for the Virtual Console.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

no you're not fool, but it all depends on how many people will connect their Wii to the internet, and how many games will they download. Some of you're ideas are great, like new games based on known IP like Super Mario, Viewtiful Joe, SE RPGs...

Now Loading... Please Wait!