By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - WE WANT BALANCE!! Mods actions are either non existent or out of control...

Gnizmo said:
twesterm said:

You know the easiest solution is to just not be disrespectful right? I'm not saying you do this, I'm just saying if a user doesn't want to get in trouble don't post stupid shit that they know will piss people off.

I'm not saying you can't think the Wii is toy, but if you go around calling the Wii two Gamecube's duct taped together, the 360 the RRoD machine, the PS3 a stand alone bluRay player you know you're only posting that to make people angry and be disrespectful. If you don't do that kind of stupid stuff you have absolutely no reason to worry.

And also, we can't read every thread. I've had people complain to me that someone got away with whatever in another thread countless times and they just couldn't believe it. When I asked them if they ever reported that person they of course said no and that of course is the (or at least a) reason nothing has been done.

So if someone were to make a thread bashing a console manufacturer and then say they deserve to go out of buisness and imply that the continued existence of the console harms the game industry the thread would be locked right? Cause unless something changed one of those exists right now, with mod posts in it, and with at least one person reporting it. I have never seen a more blatant attack on a console without merit than in the original post of that thread and nothing was done last I checked.

I want to clarify I really like you as a mod. I enjoy seeing you post in threads because it reassures me that trolling will be kept to a minimum. Sometimes I have to question other mods decisions though. I don't have any specific complaints outside the fact that ssj12's sig is annoyingly long, but there is a lot of inconsistency. The specific example really riles me up because it wasn't even a stealth troll but a blatant troll topic.

I don't mind as long as they aren't being too disrespectful and posting things just because they know it will piss someone off.  Just from that quick description I wouldn't have a problem with the thread, but that's assuming there's no flamebait or posting something like two GC's duct taped together just to anger some people.

And I always like a compliment.   

Around the Network
gebx said:
Gnizmo said:
twesterm said:

So if someone were to make a thread bashing a console manufacturer and then say they deserve to go out of buisness and imply that the continued existence of the console harms the game industry the thread would be locked right? Cause unless something changed one of those exists right now, with mod posts in it, and with at least one person reporting it. I have never seen a more blatant attack on a console without merit than in the original post of that thread and nothing was done last I checked.

I want to clarify I really like you as a mod. I enjoy seeing you post in threads because it reassures me that trolling will be kept to a minimum. Sometimes I have to question other mods decisions though. I don't have any specific complaints outside the fact that ssj12's sig is annoyingly long, but there is a lot of inconsistency. The specific example really riles me up because it wasn't even a stealth troll but a blatant troll topic.

Dude! you should of wrote the original thread!!

You get a gold star!!

Can someone linky me this thread?

What we actually need is transparency. A forum whereby Mods post their justification publicly for locking a thread, either that or the mod code of conduct should be that the final post in a locked post should be from the mod who locked it stating in a clear, but concise manner why it was locked - i.e. This thread is to be locked because of the abuse by 4-5 people who broke rule 2, 3 and 4 of this sites rules through comments such as X, Y or Z.

You could take this further and in extreme cases perhaps justify in a thread why a person was given a particularly harsh ban. It could act as a Hall of Shame for people who repeatably break the rules?

I am largely platform agnostic. I fail to understand why some people get overly fanboyish about what is an inanimate piece of electronics that's obsolete even before it's launched, when there are far more important things to champion, such as preventing environmental destruction or preventing millions of people dying unnecessarily from illnesses. This fact however, doesn’t mean I am not someone who doesn’t enjoy gaming as a pastime (as I have done for the last 20 years) or doesn’t have a strong interest in how the market is evolving – hence my presence on this site.

Platforms owned – PC, DS, X-Box 360, PS3, PSP and Wii.

Magnific0 said:
I think mods shouldn't be allowed to post their comments (opinions) on ANY tread , unless it's a thread of their own. I know it's kind of a harsh measure, but it keeps the mods from siding with a particular fanbase.

Any why would they come here again? Being a mod is a voluntary, and extremely annoying. Trying to force them to not interact with the community at large will lead do a severe decrease in moderation.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Press_the_Button said:
What we actually need is transparency. A forum whereby Mods post their justification publicly for locking a thread, either that or the mod code of conduct should be that the final post in a locked post should be from the mod who locked it stating in a clear, but concise manner why it was locked - i.e. This thread is to be locked because of the abuse by 4-5 people who broke rule 2, 3 and 4 of this sites rules through comments such as X, Y or Z.

You could take this further and in extreme cases perhaps justify in a thread why a person was given a particularly harsh ban. It could act as a Hall of Shame for people who repeatably break the rules?

this could work in theory, but then there would just more complaining because 90% of people wouldn't agree with the reasoning for bans, or they would say that mod A banned person B because mod A likes sony and person B likes microsoft.

i maintain that the real problem here is bias, and there really is no way to fix that, other than bringing in mods from somewhere else who have nothing invested into video games or sales, or video game sales.

Around the Network
konnichiwa said:

Yet another addition to your banned hall of fame eh? I'll miss Joel, in the short time I've been here, i've gotten some LULZ (i.e. the negitive sales chart for the wii after GTA4)

Kickin' Those Games Old School.       -       201 Beaten Games And Counting

Most people actually agree with the bans. There will almost always be questions as to why certain ppl get banned at certain times. But for the most part Mods do a outstanding job on these forums.

Gnizmo said:
Magnific0 said:
I think mods shouldn't be allowed to post their comments (opinions) on ANY tread , unless it's a thread of their own. I know it's kind of a harsh measure, but it keeps the mods from siding with a particular fanbase.

Any why would they come here again? Being a mod is a voluntary, and extremely annoying. Trying to force them to not interact with the community at large will lead do a severe decrease in moderation.

This is something I was trying to convey as well, without saying as much. ^_^

The mods are suffering from Ivory Tower syndrom, they have grown so accustomed to the power they are disconnected from reality (us), they are out of touch with us commoners and reckless treat the ability to ban with the same recklessness the UK government treats the armed forces.

This is just a jab at the uk gov, dont ban me mods, please!

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions
BCNR34 said:
Press_the_Button said:

this could work in theory, but then there would just more complaining because 90% of people wouldn't agree with the reasoning for bans, or they would say that mod A banned person B because mod A likes sony and person B likes microsoft.

i maintain that the real problem here is bias, and there really is no way to fix that, other than bringing in mods from somewhere else who have nothing invested into video games or sales, or video game sales.

I believe that the real problem here is not bias but a lack of civility on the part of the members here. Those who can express their views and not be flamebaiting or offensive can get away with anything, because they are being reasonable. Those who are inflamitory will invariably be banned.

Again the real problem is not the mods and their preferences, but that the people express offensive or inflamitory opinions with the intent to piss people off. We need to shift back to a reasonable group of people here and there won't be problems.

DMeisterJ said:

Can someone linky me this thread?

As loathe as I am to promote a troll thread here it is http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=25716

Highlights include include "Micro$soft, the most unoriginal console maker ever," "If M$ wasn't such a devious, monopolizing, talentless company, I'd actually feel sorry for them," and "[Microsoft] offers nothing to gamers." This is all before you even reach the end of the original post. It is littered with the standard "M$" crap that is only done to incite people. The thread went downhill from there. I seriously don't know how it can be seen as a constructive or desired addition to the board. The "[Insert console] gained its [insert number] million seller," threads are infinitely better.

I wish I were clever enough to make the link have the thread title, but that involves using forum magics beyond my grasp.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229