By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - GTA IV the beginning of the end of the XBOX 360?

DMeisterJ said:

OKAY, I HAVE TO WRITE THIS IN BOLD, SINCE CLEARLY, SOME PEOPLE IN THIS THREAD HAVE FALLEN ASLEEP DURING READING COMPREHENSION CLASS.

THIS THREAD IS ABOUT HARDWARE, NOT SOFTWARE. ABOUT HOW 360 ISN'T AHEAD OF PS3 HARDWARE, ON (ARGUABLY) THE BIGGEST RELEASE OF THE YEAR, THE RELEASE THAT THEY'VE SECURED EXCLUSIVE EPISODIC CONTENT ON, AND ON THEIR CHEAPER CONSOLE.

THE QUESTION POSED IS, IS THERE ANY OTHER GAME THAT WILL CHANGE THE DIRECTION THAT NA IS GOING (PS3 > 360) OR IS THIS THE BEGINNING OF THE END?

THANKS TO THOSE WHO POSTED, AND DIDN'T FALL ASLEEP IN READING COMPREHENSION CLASS.

360 will beat the PS3 this month because of GTA IV!!!!

All the Hardcore players purchased their consoles the first week. These Hardcore players are more likely to be console loyal. I expect those buying the game in the next couple weeks to be casual players who are more likely to purchase the less expensive console.

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Around the Network
Viper1 said:
gebx said:
@Spartan

NPD releases info on ALL console data to ALL who will pay... I or any of us here can call NPD tomorrow, send them a big fat check, and get the sales data on all three consoles. They don't withhold info against competitors

Actually no you can't. I've already talked to NPD and they don't sell their data to the media. I tried again later trying to buy simply as an inidividual consumer....they won't sell to that either. Basically you need to be a licensed retailer or product manufacturer. And prices start at $20k.

oh cool, I didn't know they restricted their sales to retailers and manufacturers

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

rocketpig said:
DMeisterJ said:
@ DOAT

Nope, don't want it to RRoD

OT:

Yes, I think a price cut is necessary. Soon... Like yesterday.

MS needed a price cut six months ago. I think it's pretty obvious they're just hunkering down and trying to turn a profit from this point forward, third place be damned.

Honestly MS and Sony should be doing that from the get go. They should take a page out of Nintendo's book and see that's what business is all about. Sony was very close to Nintendo in terms of profit until 2005 when they released the PS3 and now they are way way behind.

Microsoft should be feeling worried. they spent 50mil for extra content and that still didnt slow the beast thast to be calld ps3 lol. na on a true note tho, NA is microsofts only "360 friendly" market, and if they lose that to sony which they are doing, then i cant see the 360 lasting for any longer than two more years

rocketpig said:
DMeisterJ said:
@ DOAT

OT:

MS needed a price cut six months ago. I think it's pretty obvious they're just hunkering down and trying to turn a profit from this point forward, third place be damned.

Isn't that the goal of any company. I would call making a profit winning. As for as I know sony is still losing money, ie still losing. 

This is my signature.

Around the Network

Poor 360 is still only millions ahead of the PS3 in hardware. Just seems really dumb to worry just because some people think they know more about business then a company making billions a year LOL. Obviously they have a plan and guess it sucks for some on these forums that they don't follow what they believe they should do. Again just keep on making yourself feel better about how much smarter you are then MS just because you felt it would have made so much sense to drop the price ages ago. Hey I'll join along... man MS should have dropped the price like 5 times by now and zomg they would have been #1 even leaving the wii in dust though would have never made a profit because that makes business sense. 

gebx said:
DMeisterJ said:

OKAY, I HAVE TO WRITE THIS IN BOLD, SINCE CLEARLY, SOME PEOPLE IN THIS THREAD HAVE FALLEN ASLEEP DURING READING COMPREHENSION CLASS.

THIS THREAD IS ABOUT HARDWARE, NOT SOFTWARE. ABOUT HOW 360 ISN'T AHEAD OF PS3 HARDWARE, ON (ARGUABLY) THE BIGGEST RELEASE OF THE YEAR, THE RELEASE THAT THEY'VE SECURED EXCLUSIVE EPISODIC CONTENT ON, AND ON THEIR CHEAPER CONSOLE.

THE QUESTION POSED IS, IS THERE ANY OTHER GAME THAT WILL CHANGE THE DIRECTION THAT NA IS GOING (PS3 > 360) OR IS THIS THE BEGINNING OF THE END?

THANKS TO THOSE WHO POSTED, AND DIDN'T FALL ASLEEP IN READING COMPREHENSION CLASS.

All the Hardcore players purchased their consoles the first week. These Hardcore players are more likely to be console loyal. I expect those buying the game in the next couple weeks to be casual players who are more likely to purchase the less expensive console.

what happened to the reasonable gebx? or are you just making up for starcraft because hes banned?

davidwes said:
rocketpig said:
DMeisterJ said:
@ DOAT

OT:

Isn't that the goal of any company. I would call making a profit winning. As for as I know sony is still losing money, ie still losing.

On the PS3?  Highly probable.

As far as their current gaming division goes?

No they made a profit last quarter... and probably one this quarter... when they release their financials anyway.

Kasz216 said:
davidwes said:
rocketpig said:
DMeisterJ said:
@ DOAT

OT:

On the PS3?  Highly probable.

As far as their current gaming division goes?

No they made a profit last quarter... and probably one this quarter... when they release their financials anyway.

10 more days.

gebx said:
DMeisterJ said:

I doubt this, theres no incentive for a more casual gamer to buy a 360, while the PS3 has the added benifit of a built in Blu-Ray player. So if a 'casual' gamer were to buy a HD system just for GTA IV, I would say quite confidently they will buy the PS3 for its further uses above and beyond being a gaming machine.

Besides that, the PS3 has beaten the XBOX360 in sales every month according to this very site since what? Mid November? Of course thats World Wide, if we just took America, besides March the PS3 has been outselling the XBOX360 since January?

I dont think the 'casual' crowd that is so casual that they will drop 400 dollars for a machine to play GTA IV will change that trend. Period. 

I own all three current consoles and a great gaming rig, now thats out of the way.

This space Reserved for the Nuggets of Wisdom dropped by Bladeforce:

"Why post something like this when all it will get is PS3 owners blinded to reality replying? BOTH THE PS3 AND BLUE-RAY WILL NOT LAST 3 YEARS! TECHNOLOGY CHANGED TOO FAST!"

"is it Wii FIt that has sold as many as PS3's sold? Thats a LOL Look at the total sales of software is it just me that sees Nintendo titles hitting 10m+ and you say they arent making a difference? Another LOL!"

"Hell, with all the negative hype Sony spin, people just aren't interested cost is too high and to get the true HD experience (1080p, 7.1 surround) you will need a $1000+ system. THAT IS GOING TO DO IT IN A RECESSION! PS4 will not happen"