By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - A game I would like to see on the Wii

So, writing this post gave me an idea for a game that I think would be amazing on the Wii:

A true space-based RTS.

A major problem I have had with RTSes in space up till now has been that much of the activity has been planar due to the limitations of the input devices available to us. Sure, the gameplay has been set in space for these games, but they might as well have been set in an empty field for all the benefets we (as gamers) received from them being in space. 

In space, an asteroid should not be a relevant way to block a path; you should not be able to encircle your planet with a ring of cannons and consider yourself protected.  An enemy would be able to zig up and down, to attack from any angle, etc.

However, in the past, any method of doing this involved faking 3-D control, and has been needlessly complicated.  However, with the Wii Remote's IR, developers are able to extract 3-D information from the pointer.  It would require calibration and a lot of work to make it work well even so, but I think that we are finally on the cusp of having a truly 3-dimensional RTS game.  Whether or not it will happen is another question, and whether or not it would be fun is entirely another, but we're at the point where it is feasible.

(Another game I would like to see use this mechanic is the Battle Room game they're making from Ender's Game... but because that involves ricocheting off of walls and stuff, that obviously could be done with a mouse or dual-analog also)

Thoughts?

Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)

Around the Network

So... Homeworld Wii?

And also, what's this about an Ender's Game... game?  The novels are a mixture of awesome and win.

The Ender's Game game has been in pre-pre-production for a while. They couldn't seem to find a way to make it fun, or developers, or something. It's been rumored about as long as the movie... but apparently they have now found developers, and if it looks good, I will be there with wallet open. And maybe if it doesn't look good as well.

Sources (all from the same press release):
http://www.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idUSN2959643420080129
http://news.filefront.com/enders-game-now-a-reality/

(Edit: And yes, something along the lines of Homeworld was what I was thinking of.  That game is what made me say it's been clunky thus far, because while it did the control as good as I think it can be done, it still wan't that great IMO)

fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)

I would rather see Eternal Darkness 2, more hardcore titles, and Project HAMMER revived.

Resident_Hazard said:
I would rather see Eternal Darkness 2, more hardcore titles, and Project HAMMER revived.

How would an RTS game that uses 3-D space and requires changing your strategies thusly be anything BUT hardcore?  Just thinking of it sounds like the kind of game that you'd have to put hours into just to become competent, not even thinking about how long it would take to become truly 'good' at the game.

--Predictions--

Around the Network
alpha_dk said:
Resident_Hazard said:

How would an RTS game that uses 3-D space and requires changing your strategies thusly be anything BUT hardcore?  Just thinking of it sounds like the kind of game that you'd have to put hours into just to become competent, not even thinking about how long it would take to become truly 'good' at the game.

I'm not saying something like that is a bad idea, just that I'd prefer ED2 to be in my hands as soon as possible. Like, before I go to Iraq for a year.

Resident_Hazard said:
alpha_dk said:
Resident_Hazard said:

I'm not saying something like that is a bad idea, just that I'd prefer ED2 to be in my hands as soon as possible. Like, before I go to Iraq for a year.

Makes sense.  I was just surprised by the 'more hardcore titles' part, because in my mind this game would be ridiculously hardcore by nature, so it was strange to see someone say they'd like more hardcore titles instead of it

--Predictions--

alpha_dk said:
Resident_Hazard said:
alpha_dk said:
Resident_Hazard said:

Makes sense.  I was just surprised by the 'more hardcore titles' part, because in my mind this game would be ridiculously hardcore by nature, so it was strange to see someone say they'd like more hardcore titles instead of it

Oh I think I see where the confusion came from: By "more hardcore titles," I didn't mean "more hardcore than an RTS for Wii," I meant "more" as in quantity. And Project HAMMER looked like it could've been a sweet hardcore title.