By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Gnizmo said:
coolestguyever said:
Not only are they greedy, but I'm pretty sure they were rated the least "green" company! ;)

There was a thread about it sometime ago.
That was based on information not given by Nintendo to Greenpeace. Greenpeace just guessed what they thought those numbers should be and gave them a rating as a result. I could go into a long rant about Greenpeace but I am going to just bite my tongue on this one. The short version is they have little to do with actually protecting the earth these days.
I thought it was that Nintendo didn't give them the information so Greenpeace gave them a ZERO.  Either way. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network

Lol @ calling Nintendo "Greedy" ,fortunatley being greedy is likely to put you out of business in pretty much any business.

The consumer doesn't like Nintendo to the extent that the demand will remain the same even if Nintendo where to double or tripple their price , Nintendo have found a balance between consumer demand and profitability , maintaining this balance enables them to prolong their profitability.

NinjabreadMan said:

Every company requires profit, but companies also look at different manners in which to get achieve it.

Compare Rockstar to Nintendo. Rockstar created GTA4, a game that required a massive amount of resources, and realised a fantastic vision the like which has never been fathomed before. Nintendo are content with their low budget games like Wii Play. Knocked up to get as much profit as they can without pushing the industry foward. Mario pasted left, right and centre, nothing new.

Cheap ass hardware that's over priced for what's offered.

I was going to write up a reply to this, pointing out the economic flaws in your logic, but it's become clear that you're just here to troll.

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

I already ripped into him yet he has not replied.

Trolls are good at being guile with their insults but tuck tail and run when logic and reason come around.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Apple, MS, Google and other companies make about the same profit margins.

Making money is not a crime.

Around the Network

The OP was just trolling it seems. He probably wanted Ninty to drop the price so he could justify getting one. Apparently his desire to bash the Wii > desire to buy one... is that possible? Maybe he just has this view: Desire for Wii

Viper1 said:
I already ripped into him yet he has not replied.

Trolls are good at being guile with their insults but tuck tail and run when logic and reason come around.

I reported him for trolling. I suggest others do the same.

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

If Nintendo was in a monopoly position, the OP might have a point, but there two companies in direct competition, PCs as a viable venue for video games, and countless thousands of other entertainment options to turn to. There is no indication of price fixing or collusion between any of these competitors.

Nobody is forcing people to buy $250 Wiis. They want to buy them. If they feel they're being ripped off, they can get a PS2 for $100-150. Or they can buy some DVDs, or novels, or a go-kart, or visit a brothel.

Okay, that last one might be a little problematic.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Surprisingly enough I own a Wii.

Most people have read only my original post, which i'll admit wasn't a very good statement of how it is.

Still, my main gripe is with no intention of reducing the price over time like the traditional model of console business. It's true that this can be done to stimulate sales when demand falls, and demand for Wii certainly hasn't fallen. Was the model for the Wii designed around a potential low sale scenario? It could be this, and thus would allow Nintendo to still make a sizeable profit despite low numbers, ala GC.

I'd be interested in knowing exactly how much Nintendo makes on each console sold, and whether or not the manufacturing costs have fallen very much since launch.

I'd admit that Nintendo have done something useful in the form of developing the first decent motion controller for main stream consoles, but i'm still not happy with the machine itself.

At the end of the day, it's fantastic for the business, but no so great for the consumers in my view - even if they are willing to pay inflated costs on eBay etc. Clearly there must be excess demand that Nintendo is not tapping into at the moment.

I'd like to see someone post something to do with the Economics that doesn't resemble the "if demand falls, price will fall" argument I see here. It's not totally explained by this.

Baked to perfection.

Why isn't the "if demand falls, price will fall" argument completely valid in this case? A product has more than one "price." It has the perceived value, the retail price, and the worth. If the perceived value is still as high as the retail price (due to demand) why should they lower the price. The worth is something that could be considered re-sale value. Both the perceived value and the worth of a Wii is simply as high or in some cases higher than the $250. Thusly unless the demand can eventually be out supplied, the price will never be dropped. It would create an even greater demand on the Wii and supply will never reach demand.