By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 version of GTA 4 confirmed 720p, and 640p rumor came from a post

Theres been a nasty rumor going around that PS3 version of GTA IV runs at 640p all started by posters on forum Beyond3D which many news outlets ran as "real" confirmation, more specifically the poster named Quaz.
Quaz who admits to only owning the Xbox 360 version of the game, speculates the PS3 version of GTA IV runs at 640p all from studying raw screenshot output sent to him from Dot50cal (another Beyond3D poster).

Well lay the rumors to rest not only considering Rockstar themselves confirmed both Xbox and PS3 versions to be running in native 720p back in previous issue of EGM during an interview when asked if GTA IV would be running 1080p native,
BUT, Gameradar also confirmed GTA IV to be running in 720p when they were able to capture raw-output video straight in 720p from both versions.
As some of you may know, it is also discussed in Beyond3D forum, raw output ensures the video does not get "up-scaled" and prevent's "post-processing" thus viewing the video in its truest natural form.

"We’ve played both console versions of GTA IV, and took the following video from the opening scene. We captured the raw video in uncompressed 720p, with no post-processing to either stream. Shown side-by-side, it’s quite difficult to tell the difference between the two versions. Only a highly trained eye can see the subtle shifts in color, the minor variations in shadow detail."
http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/gr...51014323586065

Now stop wasting time arguing about which version has better resolution and just enjoy the game!

look at where Kotaku's source was - Eurogamer, and who in turn got the info via Beyond3D Forum

mM
Around the Network

well, so much for that. at least now we won't have to listen to starcraft stammer on about the ps3 not being able to produce HD.

Yep, it seems that like I said, the "CONFIRMATION FOR 640P PS3 GAME" came from a guy on some forum that owned the 360 version of the game, and called it the inferior one because he thinks it will be 640p.

Everyone saw this as a fact.

mM

Starcraft, Pwned?

But but but starcraft said it's only 640p?

I actually don't care either way I'm having a blast with the game right now.

Around the Network

=p Damned and it took so long before others checked it?

In fact this show how dumb the sites are to just follow a forum post;

I'm having trouble with the link. The link won't open.

Wow, hmm so they really are equal.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

when they were able to capture raw-output video straight in 720p from both versions.
As some of you may know, it is also discussed in Beyond3D forum, raw output ensures the video does not get "up-scaled" and prevent's "post-processing" thus viewing the video in its truest natural form.

First I have no idea who's correct and I don't care much because the pictures looked similar.

Second I think the above statement is bullshit. I do not know what they mean with "raw output" but if the upscaling, filtering etc. is done IN the GPU before being released to the active part of the framebuffer they have IMO no mean to capture anything.

I feel sorry for you guys who fought about this.