By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - PS3 vs. Xbox Media Center

I was wondering what the big differences are between the two other than the obvious stuff? (i.e. BR etc.)

Also what is the PSN like?  I am Debating on which one i should personally get when I have the money, my roommate already has a 360 so I can play games on that until he moves.  I use the 360  already to play music and movies on the tv already, is the PS3 better at this?

Around the Network

I personally find the xmb bar really easy to use. It's really easy to access the different types of media on your PS3. How great PSN is depends what area of the world you're in. In Japan and the US it's really good, and I think could possibly give XBL a run for it's money, however in Europe, at least atm, it's pretty crap, but I guess once they sort out all the servers etc, it should catch up, at least I hope so. On top of that I find the transferring of media really easy on the PS3 aswell, you just plug your device into the PS3, and copy onto the PS3, or copy off the PS3.

One person's experience or opinion never shows the general consensus

PSN ID: Tispower

MSN: tispower1@hotmail.co.uk

Well there is BR, and with the recent update PS3 is back at the top as one of the best Br players. PS3 movie play back is far superior, 360 makes dvds look not so good. Movie/Music store or in demand thing is coming, not there yet. With Nero you can stream just about anything from your pc, with wmp11 you need to covert the files to the right codec. You can transfer files from a disk, memory card, or device pluged through usb.

Right now I am using a MCE notebook and streaming files to the 360 through the network, would I have to buy Nero to accomplish this on the PS3? (I don't have the option of downloading anymore.)

windowview said:
Right now I am using a MCE notebook and streaming files to the 360 through the network, would I have to buy Nero to accomplish this on the PS3? (I don't have the option of downloading anymore.)

Right now nero converts "stuff" on the fly.

others work just fine but you have to covert the files to the rigth codec, red kawa is good for that.  You can use tversity as a server, i got no problems using it.

check this thread out  http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=75081

Around the Network

Xbox 360 media center is better than the Playstation 3 media center.

I was hoping to get more input from people who have used both. I am getting a Wii for gaming and either a 360 or PS3 to compliment it to use 50% gaming 50% media and I don't think I will be getting into BR anytime soon.

Well what specificly are you looking for the machine to do for you ?

Reliable online, renting flicks online is definitely a plus which you said the PS3 will have soon. Easy streaming of media, and easy networking. I found this but this guy is a 360 fanboy so he doesn't talk much about PS3 features. He did mention divx might be coming to 360 which might seal the deal for me, I have a ton of divx movies on my PC and my roommates that would rule.

DLNA, which is what the PS3 and PSP use, is a more open standard than Windows media extender (which requires a PC running MCE edition of XP or Vista). DLNA can run from any computer of any operating system (including Mac and LINUX) that is running DLNA-compliant media server software. Better still, it doesn't even require a computer at all. Standalone DLNA storage appliances (which are already out now) will allow you to put all your media content on one dedicated device (rather than a full-blown computer; therefore costing less and using less electricity) for access throughout your household. Just take a look at DLNA.org to see how much support the DLNA standard has pushing it (including Microsoft). Cameras, video recorders, cable boxes, printers, phones and other devices could all be interconnectable on DLNA in the future as well. The technology really breaks the old boundaries of just PC's. The built-in wifi in the PS3 and PSP are obviously also very nice to have for this sort of thing.