By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii Fit is going to explode the market

I expect Wii Fit to sell around 30 million copies by the end of this generation, a lot more than both versions of GTA4 combined. GTA4 will lead it initially of course, given the record breaking opening, but it wont come close to matching Wii Fits legs. Wii Fit will be huge this Xmas and will possibly overtake GTA4, if not sometime next year.

Around the Network

and just wait until it's on oprah, all hell will break loose

3DS FC: 4355-9313-6815

well the video clip sounds very convincing, but about the "no subscription gym fees"
at least here in mexico getting a membership for one year in a good gym cost less than buying Wii+WiFit

radioioRobert said:
Do you think it will be 30% of the userbase at the end of the consoles life? That would be a really large number.... and would be at 13 to 15 mil Wii fits sold by the end of 2008.

Indeed it is, but I'm not sure if it will manage to reach 15million by the end of 2008 due to production shortages. If Wiifit remains bundled to the Wiiboard I expect it to sell 30% right up until the end of it's life as it will be supported by so many games, and some games will require it.

Look at Japan as an Example of Wii Fits sale ratio and the fact that it's still selling above 30% on a weekly bases.

Playing : PC  AOE, DiRT 2, Runes of Magic, Wings of Prey & Planetside 2  

Wii U : Nintendoland, Super Mario U  & Fifa 2013 demo

DS : Guitar Hero : On Tour

Formerly unknown as Vengi

http://vgchartz.com/profiles/profile.php?id=2331

look what WiiFit did in Japan? Yea, NA already loved the Wii... now this...

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Around the Network

WiiFit will be, at most, an odd growth off the market, sort of like a benign tumor. It'll swell up and just sit there for a long time, as housemom's buy the WiiFit, use it for a week and then let it collect dust along with the treadmill, thighmaster, abcruncher, and any other gadget the blew good money on in order to lose 20 pounds. This will not get the majority of them into gaming, and will have far less effect on the market than, say, WiiSports (which is, at least, an actual game).

At most this will create a weird VG offshoot of such peripherals, but it will be rare for the two markets to crossover. At most you'll get a symbiotic relationship in which the gamer buys the console, the housemom buys the gadget and usurps the Wii for an hour a day, and then the gamer will buy games that use the gadget (WiiSurfing or somesuch). This will have the effect of increasing overall Wii sales and putting money in Nintendo's pockets, but other than increasing userbase, the gaming market shouldn't be shaken too much (unless companies go blind with jealousy and abandon games for WiiFit knockoffs).

You're all bloody insane! I'm going to go to every EB and break all Wii fit units i see. It is destroying gaming! NOOOOO Why oh why did nintendo have to do this?

On the bright side, if Wii fit can reduce the world's obesity by 75%, then I vote nintendo for president!

Tuanniez said:
You're all bloody insane! I'm going to go to every EB and break all Wii fit units i see. It is destroying gaming! NOOOOO Why oh why did nintendo have to do this?

On the bright side, if Wii fit can reduce the world's obesity by 75%, then I vote nintendo for president!

They are already president of the universe. I don't think they could handle anymore presidencies. 

I like how DMeisterJ is psychic and knows what we're going to talk about.

::clears throat::
::discusses topic and ignores DMeisterJ from here on out::

Where can I get one of these DVDs? I'd love to have a nice Wii Fit infomercial from before the revolution happened. I live right by a GameStop, but my skin burns whenever I walk in there, and then it starts to rain.

The Ghost of RubangB said:
I like how DMeisterJ is psychic and knows what we're going to talk about.

::clears throat::
::discusses topic and ignores DMeisterJ from here on out::

Where can I get one of these DVDs? I'd love to have a nice Wii Fit infomercial from before the revolution happened. I live right by a GameStop, but my skin burns whenever I walk in there, and then it starts to rain.

April 30, 2008 - Nintendo of America has stocked select retail outlets across the country with a new Wii Fit promotional booklet and DVD insert designed to explain the concept and the gameplay mechanics to those still unfamiliar with them. The free four-page booklet features photographs of eerily happy kids and twenty-somethings dressed in exercise clothing nearly as white as the rooms surrounding them and text capsules which outline the basics of the exercise-themed game. The illiterate can alternatively watch the included DVD, which boasts a five-minute video about Wii Fit. (There's also a video about Wii – an inclusion clearly targeted at videogame newcomers.)

Source: http://wii.ign.com/articles/870/870811p1.html

looks like random major retails ...OP said he saw it at Target