By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Official anti-GTA4 thread of overrating, shallowness and overuse of reality

i didn't say GTA couldn't be fun i just said it should be reviewed in a subjective manner. Which it should be. If all reviewers are going to behave like sheep and give a game maximum scores then perhaps we could all get jobs as reviewers and post cloned reviews? It would be the worlds easiest job!

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Around the Network
Words Of Wisdom said:
rocketpig said:
GTA IV is an extremely good game. It's also flawed.

Multiple reviews praised its acting and dialogue, which are a mix of mediocre and terrible. Reviews glossed over the animation flaws in the game, which border on ridiculous (the crazy lean while turning, the absolutely ridiculous running down stairs animation). The reviews seemingly ignored the somewhat broken cover system.

In short, the reviews ignored a lot in favor of buying into the hype that is GTA IV. Don't get me wrong, it's an extremely good game. Best game ever? Hah. Not even close. IMO, it's not even deserving of the same rating as GTA III, a game that truly broke barriers in gameplay, attitude, and style. Rockstar just put some lipstick on the GTA pig and they're getting accolades from everyone for it. Weak.

Seriously? I hear they didn't even do the Spiderpig jingle. ^_^

At least that would have made me laugh.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Rock_on_2008 said:
Words of Wisdom you are a huge Nintendo fan. the Sony fans will not take any notice of you, lol.
BTW GTA IV is the best gamer ever go and check out www.metacritic.com
PS3 GTA IV has an average of 100%. 360 GTA IV has an average of 99%

So what? If I wanted to act like a slightly geeky fratboy and write stellar reviews for games that warrant criticism, I could do it, too.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Words Of Wisdom said:
Rock_on_2008 said:
Both OoT and SMG were both over rated and did not deserves 97 to 98 average review scores.

not totally WoW, grant it I agree with your opinion on his opinion on OoT but SMG is highly overrated. Truly its nothing special, the only major difference is that your have a pointing device versus a controller.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Meh, I can't stand GTA IV. I love GTA 3 though. How you can jump into the equivalent of a dodge viper and in 5 seconds be smashing into a cop car at 100 mph... fun stuff.

GTA IV is to... slow. I could run faster than half the cars accelerate. Not to mention if you crash into something you freakan fly out of the window and die. Lame. Realism is okay but when you make it too realistic it gets rid of a lot on the fun IMO

Around the Network

Nothing is perfect. 10/10 doesn't mean its perfect.

im sorry but i have never played GTA4 and will not play it ever. ill explain why i have three kids and high morals. to me GTA4 isnt anything special looks like GTA3 with better graphics and online whoopidy doo. the last GTA game i played was GTA3 it got boring after 30 minutes. after seeing what was in GTA:SA i was appalled. GTA4 still has the sex scenes and beating up hookers? cmon there are lines that have been crossed by this series now. the original concept i think was great but what its turned into is stuff that i dont wanna do even if it was legal. so to those who think it is the greatest game in the world then stop bickering bout the ones that are complaining its not and vice versa. to me who cares about reviews a good review was what all teh mags had back in teh 80's with fun factor and extra content rankings. to me right now paying 60 bucks for a game i would play for 30 minutes a year or two isnt good.

now watch all the sony and MS fanboys are gonna be like your such a wii fanboy. actually yes i have a wii but a fanboy no i love my pc games and wii games equally.
to say its fun to me is an opinion what is fun to one person isnt fun for another i think that is where all this negativity is coming from in this thread is cause if someone's opinion you dont like you have to lash out against them. ive been apart of many sites and havnt seen a bunch of supposedly grown ups fight about a game ever.

my suggestion is if the game is popular like alot are saying it will be around awhile and will sell great but if people buy it and it disapears within a month and people stop talkin bout it (see COD4, halo3, or any other over hyped game). just everyone please stop pushing it down our throats if we dont want nothin to do with it. that is my only problem.

dick cheney loves me, he wants to take me hunting

mkwii code- 1977-0565-0049

scorptile said:
im sorry but i have never played GTA4 and will not play it ever. ill explain why i have three kids and high morals. to me GTA4 isnt anything special looks like GTA3 with better graphics and online whoopidy doo. the last GTA game i played was GTA3 it got boring after 30 minutes. after seeing what was in GTA:SA i was appalled. GTA4 still has the sex scenes and beating up hookers? cmon there are lines that have been crossed by this series now. the original concept i think was great but what its turned into is stuff that i dont wanna do even if it was legal. so to those who think it is the greatest game in the world then stop bickering bout the ones that are complaining its not and vice versa. to me who cares about reviews a good review was what all teh mags had back in teh 80's with fun factor and extra content rankings. to me right now paying 60 bucks for a game i would play for 30 minutes a year or two isnt good.

now watch all the sony and MS fanboys are gonna be like your such a wii fanboy. actually yes i have a wii but a fanboy no i love my pc games and wii games equally.
to say its fun to me is an opinion what is fun to one person isnt fun for another i think that is where all this negativity is coming from in this thread is cause if someone's opinion you dont like you have to lash out against them. ive been apart of many sites and havnt seen a bunch of supposedly grown ups fight about a game ever.

my suggestion is if the game is popular like alot are saying it will be around awhile and will sell great but if people buy it and it disapears within a month and people stop talkin bout it (see COD4, halo3, or any other over hyped game). just everyone please stop pushing it down our throats if we dont want nothin to do with it. that is my only problem.

there are normal people after all =D

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

shams said:

BTW, a site gave GTA4 a 9 (gasp!) - and it has a well written review:

http://www.boomtown.net/en_uk/articles/art.view.php?id=15916

Everything from San Andreas is improved. It had to. The gaming world has moved on and GTA has had to evolve to compete. And while the driving isn't quite to my taste it's clearly improved. You can't have everything – the slightly off sound mix, difficulty in reading mobile phone text, restarting mission issues – these are all things that you do notice. But they don't stop you having a silly amount of fun with Grand Theft Auto IV.

But before we get too carried away there's nothing particularly ground breaking about GTA IV. This is a mechanic we've been playing for years polished to a shine we've not seen before. But the old mechanic of cutscene, drive, kill, evade is still there. There's no revolution here. Grand Theft Auto IV is brilliant, but it's not the original Gran Turismo, Mario 64 or Half-Life 2. And while there's a huge story here most players won't see most of it, the problem with GTA games has never been how much of it there is, but how much of it you want to see.

GTA IV is the best game in the series. It's a triumph – especially in terms of design and character performance. A PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360 owner's library is incomplete without it. But in four months time we'll remember it as a superb game, rather than a new epoch in videogaming.

Interesting! A few more of these, and all of my objections to the scores will slowly fade away. I guess Bioshock started in a similar fashion.

@mrstickball:

- using a "on screen pointer" to collect items (in 3D)

- using a "on screen pointer" to aim & fire items (in 3D)

- "real" use of spherical (& other) shaped worlds, including the gravity mechanic

- using a pointer to select & activate "gravity pull points", in a useful analog-sort of way

- two player co-operative mechanic in that form (although I can't name a single platformer, where two players can control the same character full stop?)

They are the obvious ones that come to mind, that until galaxy hit - I had *never* seen before in any game. Most of them come down to the "unique" nature of the Wiimote - just can't be done with a Dualshock / GC controller.

Some of the other actions using the Wiimote (such as rolling the ball), but aren't actually that innovative - its just Monkey Ball with a slightly different input mechanic.

Oh god lets be serious. What game these days can truly be innovative in many ways? The gaming industry is HUGE! On top of that, why does GTA need to be innovative to be the best game ever? Best doesn't imply innovative, it IMPLIES BEST! It does everything right.  

Galaxy was innovative because of the Wiimote? No. The Wii was innovative because of that, you can't give points to Galaxy for that. And dont list things you enjoy as innovation. Ive been selecting things on screen with a pointer for years (its called a PC.)

GTAIV deserves more than any game in history a 10/10. It truly fits a whole city of everything you ever wanted inside, giving you the choice of anything you can do(or not do because of certain reasons) in real life and the freedom to do it. I cant believe someone said GTA is not fun. GTA is the epitome of a fun videogame. No game ever can top it in that category.

AND I CANT BELIEVE EVEN MORE THAT THIS GUY DEFENDS GALAXY WHEN TALKING ABOUT GIVING THE SAME OLD CRAP ON A DIFFERENT CONSOLE! Lol. Umm Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart, SSBB. The Wii brought the same games and didn't even bother with upgrading the graphics! Lol get real man. If your going to hate on GTA without even playing it atleast have a good example of a successful game that DOESN'T repeat the same old crap over again.

Neos said:
libellule said:
1/ why dont u create such thread for SMG or Zelda ?
They also get amazingly high review score by their time.

whatever, I agree, 10/10 is too high.

2/ GTA4 is fun according to MILLIONS of gamers (just wait sales datas)

I m not sure WW SMG sales can beat GTA4 WEEK1 WW sales datas ...

No zelda game except for OOT is in most people's view groundbreaking. That's why it gets SOLID reviews, not perfect, which is fine.

SMG is for one thing in fact, groundbreaking. It uses alot of new platform elements such as the use of gravity (perhaps overuse, but wth), and it is made by a genious, the man that kept this whole industry alive, so that's why it deserves these scores.

Translation: "Because I like those games."