By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Official anti-GTA4 thread of overrating, shallowness and overuse of reality

Neos said:

Join the club right here folks, this is the anti-GTA4 thread. You hereby state to have never played the game (or have) yet have a constructive arguments as to why this is probably already the most overrated game ever created.

Here are my first points, you can judge and/or adjust them.

Why no game is perfect.

Nothing is perfect in this world. Not humans, not robots, not cellphones, not even movies (music in my opinion comes the closest to perfection). So why are game reviewers rating it as something perfect? Isn't perfection a synonym for groundbreaking? If so, what is so groundbreaking about a sequel? Sure there are dozens of new things and expanded missions/goals added to the game, but the core elements still exist. This solid series of games have taken over the masses as a product everybody wants. Not because it's extremely fun or groundbreaking, but because it comes close to reality (explains why The Sims is a best seller as well). People like replaying reality, playing the bad guy, but mainly because you are the centerpoint of attention.

People are missing the true goal of gaming : F.U.N

Back in the early days when games were still about fun and not about graphics, people agreed on the fact the mario games were groundbreaking. A lot of developers tried to copy the core elements, but often failed in making it a succesfull thing. Exceptions are developers like Sega who turned Sonic into a second phenomenon. Nevertheless, it was all about fun. in fact, people played (and are still playing) games to ESCAPE reality. So why do we want to play reality now, aren't developers nowadays missing the whole point?

--

I'll add more as soon as i get back from work. Feel free to post trollish and/or constructive things.

I can see your point but i'm gunna ahve to disagree on your statement. As technology and software imporves, developers are going to use that to make better devices and games. While it might not be perfect, I believe GTAIV got 10/10 because the new in-game engine techniques were used amazingly put out a true sequel with amazing results. The truth is, you can argue that OoT and Mario games in the past are the best, but new things and new technology are gonna evolve and be more breathtaking. OoT and Mario games from the best are arguably the best of that generation, GTAIV can probably be the best of this generation. You always got to move on, graphics or gameplay and games will become better and better. Not perfect, better. GTAIV proves it is great sequel and a game with deph, thats why it got a 10/10.

5th Gen - OoT 10/10

6th Gen - Soul Calibur 10/10

7th gen - GTA 10/10

See the evolution?

Above I'm a proud Gran Turismo fan, not a Sony fanboy, and now a proud 360 owner, but sharing xbox live accts ATM

End of 2009 Predictions (made Jan 1, 2009): My predictions were pretty accurate, the 360 was over and the Wii was just under.

Wii: 65 mil (yea I'm crazy) 360: 35 mil (its getting there) PS3: 30 mil (the slim better do well)

End of 2010 Predictions (made Jan 7, 2010):

Wii: 81 mil  360: 47 mil PS3: 45 mil

Around the Network
leo-j said:
Q_A_X said:
ITT Wii fanboys can't get over the fact their console doesn't have the best game ever made.

/thread.

I agree with you,but well I guess nobody can have everything, wii is the leader of the console war and the other consoles have gtaIV.

rocketpig said:
shams said:

A stupid question for everyone...

Can someone tell me the original and innovative elements in GTA4 - that bring "newness" to the genre, and gaming in general? Because we couldn't be possibly scoring a game as the "best ever", if it isn't completely innovative... could we?

I find the NaturalMotion stuff interesting, but its not something that actually affects the gameplay...?

Online modes?

New game elements?

Or is its innovation simple to be the "best VR game ever"?

Because Galaxy (for instance) had heaps of "real" innovation (IMO anyway), yet it still got marked down for not being "fresh enough". I'd hate to think that pretty graphics take precedence over innovation for scoring...

Honestly, the cell phone is pretty innovative. It not only adds freedom to the game but it also retains immersion, which makes it particularly impressive.

Pretty much everything else I have experienced thus far has been done in multiple WRPGs... I guess it's slightly innovative to add it to a sandbox game. Still, overall, it's not that amazing. The online mode is great but I hesitate to call it innovative if you include games outside the genre (and even Crackdown had some elements of it, though GTA is miles ahead of CD online).

Overall, it's a really polished game that moves the genre forward considerably. Innovative? A little. But it's not nearly as innovative as GTA III, a game that really threw the industry on its head and has been copied by every sandbox game made since that time. That's innovation.

No great game is truly innovative.  OoT, (a game that deserved it's rating), did not have a single innovative element to it. Every aspect of the game had been done, Zelda just did what it did very very well.

P.S. Before anyone mentions the 3d persistent world thing, Daggefall did it a year earlier. (the second elders scrolls game, the one before MarrowWind and Oblivion).

What GRT4 does, it does it better then any sandbox game before it, thus it deserves the high rating. 

Words Of Wisdom said:
ssj12 said:

The only major issue I have with scorptile's post is the last sentence. No one is shoving the game down anyone's throats. The people who love the game are expressing their opinions about the game in a vocal mannor and is completely free to do so. Just because a set group does not like that so many people enjoy the game and posts about how good it is to them does not mean you should believe that fans of your style of game has not done it or that your complaints are right or moral. Remember there was just as many positive threads on SSBB, SMG, Halo 3, etc. of peoplestating their opinions on how good the games were.

GTA4 has more threads than Brawl (though Brawl ate its way into a lot of threads...hehe).  SMG and Halo 3 were far smaller in terms thread spam.

I'm just tired of coming into the gaming forum and seeing the top 8 threads on GTA4 especially when there's a sticky for GTA4 which should be causing all of them to be locked.

Yea... I agree. When I enter vgchartz.com and then see a whole bunch of GTA4 threads under hot topic... I suddenly don't feel like browsing anymore and simply leave. It's a good thing that it's dying down, though.

Regarding my thought on this, whether or not GTA4 is the best game ever, I see certain people only see it as something to downplay the Wii, or Nintendo generally. Yes, it's not a good thing for a hate thread such as this to be created, but so far there are more hate coming from those who reply, whoever they are.

That's not to say there aren't people who make constructive posts, though. Someone who does shouldn't get offended by this.

I'm an ALIEN!!!! - officially identified as by Konnichiwa

Of course... My English is still... horrible - appreciation and thanks to FJ-Warez  

Brawl FC: 0301-9911-8154

locking thread due to this being a joke thread...

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453