By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft Cuts Xbox 360 Prices in Four Asian Markets

Microsoft Cuts Xbox 360 Prices in Four Asian Markets

April 29 (Bloomberg) -- Microsoft Corp. cut prices of its Xbox 360 game console in four Asian markets to help fend off market-share declines against Nintendo Co. and Sony Corp.

The Redmond, Washington-based company cut estimated retail prices in Hong Kong, South Korea, Singapore and Taiwan, Brenda Hsieh, a Microsoft spokeswoman in Taipei, said today.

The price of a basic version will drop by 17 percent to NT$10,360 ($340) in Taiwan and by about 11 percent in Hong Kong effective today, Hsieh said. Prices will fall 5.1 percent to 369,000 won ($369) in Korea and by 20 percent to S$499 ($366) in Singapore, according to separate e-mailed statements.

Global Xbox 360 shipments will probably fall 40 percent to 9.1 million units in the year ending in March 2009 after peaking during the previous 12-month period, Daiwa Institute of Research Ltd. estimated last month. Shipments of Sony's PlayStation 3 will jump 47 percent to 14 million units, while those of Nintendo's Wii may rise 26 percent to 24 million, according to Daiwa.

Bloomberg

Around the Network

The price cut in Europe was good but I think Microsoft is trying to much in Asia it is not worth it.

My region, maybe I'll pick up a 360 soon. How is the reliability now?

Microsoft used to impose worldwide price cuts, but have now given responsibility for different regions to decide pricing themselves. The weak dollar has helped bring the price down in Europe and Asia, but won't help with a US price cut.

Yojimbo said:
The price cut in Europe was good but I think Microsoft is trying to much in Asia it is not worth it.

Last year Koei revealed Korean and Taiwanese hardware sales, 360 was doing pretty well actually.

BKK2 said:
Yojimbo said:

Last year Koei revealed Korean and Taiwanese hardware sales, 360 was doing pretty well actually.

I see. The price is already so low in Asia that it will increase the losses with the hardware and not that many people buy games there so it might not be worth it.

Around the Network

Piracy of 360 games are very high in Asian counties. More Asians will be picking up 360 consoles, but the game sales will increase slightly due to many people modding 360's over in Asia where there are no piracy laws in place.

Yojimbo said:
BKK2 said:
Yojimbo said:

I see. The price is already so low in Asia that it will increase the losses with the hardware and not that many people buy games there so it might not be worth it.

The price of a basic version will drop by 17 percent to NT$10,360 ($340) in Taiwan and by about 11 percent in Hong Kong effective today, Hsieh said. Prices will fall 5.1 percent to 369,000 won ($369) in Korea and by 20 percent to S$499 ($366) in Singapore, according to separate e-mailed statements.

The price for the "basic version" will drop to between $340 - $369 depending on country. That's similar to the price of a PS3 here, the price isn't particularly low in Asia.

BKK2 said:
My region, maybe I'll pick up a 360 soon. How is the reliability now?

Microsoft used to impose worldwide price cuts, but have now given responsibility for different regions to decide pricing themselves. The weak dollar has helped bring the price down in Europe and Asia, but won't help with a US price cut.

360 has about 7-10% failure rates from FALCON. Very good if you compare it with XENON 30%.

My opinion is to wait until Jasper chip is out in august (GPU and CPU 65 nm). The failure rates will reduced to nil!!!

BKK2 said:
Yojimbo said:
BKK2 said:
Yojimbo said:

The price for the "basic version" will drop to between $340 - $369 depending on country. That's similar to the price of a PS3 here, the price isn't particularly low in Asia.

Thanks for clearing that up did not know that it cost that much.

Rock_on_2008 said:
Piracy of 360 games are very high in Asian counties. More Asians will be picking up 360 consoles, but the game sales will increase slightly due to many people modding 360's over in Asia where there are no piracy laws in place.

There are piracy laws, it's just that they're not strictly enforced. Just recently the police had a big media event where they crushed all the seized counterfeit goods with a steamroller. They do this every year, but it's just a stunt so they can say to the US they are actually doing something, but in reality it's just a tiny drop in the ocean of all counterfeit goods. Raids are pretty rare, and the traders are usually tipped off beforehand, and bribery ensures raids on manufacturers and distributors are non-existant.