By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Another comparison of GTA IV PS3 vs X360

we can always just go look at gamerankings, where the PS3 is still at a sound 100%, and the 360 is down to 99.1% :)

now starcraft will come in and say:

b-b-b-b-but metacritic!

Around the Network
DMeisterJ said:
starcraft said:
DMeisterJ said:
starcraft said:

Er.....he mentioned motion control in the review?

Edit: He could also have pointed out that anyone that buys the offical PS3 bundle in Europe won't be playing with rumble. But hey, who's nitpicking?

Fix'd.

He could have also mentioned how XBOX Live shut down this Christmas, because of all the people playing, while the PlayStation Network did not.

Er, there is only an official PS3 bundle in Europe.........

Exactly.

So people who are buying the game, by itself, in America, will be fine, so long as they buy a DualShock.

Kotaku is Australian..........

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Clearly "no install" can't be used as an advantage, it's the reason the 360 is slightly inferior.

Press_the_Button said:
As for the DLC element of the decision making, it occurred to me that come the end of the year won't a lot of people moved on to other games? i.e. Resistance 2, LittleBigPlanet, COD5, and so on? I know GTA IV is big, but there's going to be a lot of other big hitters landing on the shelves come November time, will people be that bothered about DLC (other than hardcore GTA fans?).

Also, has anyone figured out yet why we've had no solid details on what the DLC is? Seems a bit strange that R* or MS haven't detailed exactly what might be heading our way - it's the lack of information on the DLC that made me fear "Horse armour" and made me refuse to favour the 360 version based purely on future content I know nothing about.

The recent COD4 map pack already sold ~1m units out of ~7.5m who own the game so the DLC market is very lucrative.  By end of 2008, analysts expect 6m 360 copies to be sold, so this is their target market. Admittedly, there are less big hitters now, but with the ease of digital distribution and the chance to extend the GTA4 experience, its not hard to see this will sell well.

I personally think they havent announced details of the DLC simply because it isnt finished and they are still working out the details. There are other people who think that its because of a deal with Sony. Who knows.

Here's my version of the score card with all the caveats I can think of:

PS3 wins in:
- Some motion controls.
- Less loading times
- Less pop-in
- Free network play

360 wins in:
- Frame-rate
- Aliasing/paint filter
- No install
- Rumble (unless you have DualShock 3 which will cost you extra)
- Achievements.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

I'm sorry, but inferior and superior are extreme words to use in the scenario of Grand Theft Auto IV for the PS3 and 360.

starcraft said:
DMeisterJ said:

starcraft said:
So the scorecard:

PS3 wins in:
-SIXAXIS support. (but you'll probably leave it off)
-Pop-in

360 wins in:
-Aliasing/paint filter 
-Achievements.

Note that neither future DLC or future online capabilities are recorded as advantages as all are speculative.

Fix'd.

Meant to put pop-in under the PS3.  Rumble is universal on the PS3, whereas it isn't available in the PS3 bundle.

Lulz.

I guess you found a way to spin the bundle badly.

The lack of Rumble.

You do know that other continents exist outside of "Others" right?  Like America, where the DS3 is readily available?  So I think I'll fix the list for you.

The frame rate is the same on both of them, "but both versions seemed to regularly run at a similar clip.", and the install goes hand in hand with the pop-in so I've deleted that too, so the 360 wins in Aliasing, and Achievements.

The_God_of_War said:
Clearly "no install" can't be used as an advantage, it's the reason the 360 is slightly inferior.
I gave the PS3 props for loading and pop-in advantages.........

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

starcraft said:
DMeisterJ said:
starcraft said:
DMeisterJ said:
starcraft said:

Er.....he mentioned motion control in the review?

Edit: He could also have pointed out that anyone that buys the offical PS3 bundle in Europe won't be playing with rumble. But hey, who's nitpicking?

Fix'd.

He could have also mentioned how XBOX Live shut down this Christmas, because of all the people playing, while the PlayStation Network did not.

Er, there is only an official PS3 bundle in Europe.........

Exactly.

So people who are buying the game, by itself, in America, will be fine, so long as they buy a DualShock.

Kotaku is Australian..........

Actually, Kotaku is global.

Bash is in Japan, and they have American Bloggers too.

starcraft said:
So the scorecard:

PS3 wins in:
-SIXAXIS support.

360 wins in:
-Frame-rate
-Aliasing/paint filter
-No install
-Rumble
-Achievements.

Note that neither future DLC or future online capabilities are recorded as advantages as all are speculative.

It boggles my mind why you have no idea why I call you a fanboy.