By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Another comparison of GTA IV PS3 vs X360

DMeisterJ said:
Press_the_Button said:
DMeisterJ said:
Press_the_Button said:
IllegalPaladin said:
DMeisterJ said:
This thread is growing at an alarming rate.

And growing into what looks like the same stuff as the other threads.. lol, the same people too.

Whatever, it's an interesting argument that both sides make here.

Tell me about this thread growing. I'd read the others and throught people would have got bored of arguing and this thread would die a quiet death as a result.

Alas, I step away from my PC for 5 minutes and 20 comments get added!

I know, I thought this game was argued to death.

I wonder if people will give up arguing come Tuesday when they get to play the game?

Hang on, I can see people posting "My review of GTA IV" threads and the war contuning with renewed vigour, but this time with added screenshots, sales figures and YouTube videos!

Feel free to call me a cynic!

I think I'll be too busy playing Tuesday to give a rat's ass about frame-rate issues and whatnot.

I'll be playing Tuesday night, but Wednesday I promised to go to my gf's place meaning I'll be away from the Xbox 360 AND the computer

Oh well, at least she is getting a Wii soon 

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network
starcraft said:
DMeisterJ said:
NJ5 said:
DMeisterJ said:

Yes, a game that gives you ~100 hours of gameplay, plus Multiplayer, having to wait 440 seconds is a disadvantage... okay.

The list says nothing about the importance of the advantages. That's up to the reader to judge.

Starcraft said that sitting for a seven minute install was not an advantage.

A not advantage is a disadvantage. Yes?

I said that having less pop-up is an advantage.

I said that having faster load times is an advantage.

I said that starting the game the moment you get it is an advantage.

By IGN's account, loading is EXTREMELY rare and the 360 will take only a few more seconds.  Yet, I haven't nit-picked the importance of that advantage have I? 

"Don't worry Xbox owners, the load times are rarely more than 30 seconds and don't occur very often."

So it doesn't load often, but when it does, it's 30 seconds. 

So after thirteen or fourteen loads, it cancels out the install time.  In playing a game 100 hours or so, I'm sure it will load more than 13/14 times.

Oh, and as for this review, the only thing in it that seems to be anything other then minor, is the texture popup. The graphics look the same, the frame rates are basically same.

The popup seems to be the only thing. And it's why this reviewer, who had all options available to him, chose the PS3.

P.S. And if you think I am being PS3 biased when I say the graphics and frame rates look the same even though they have very small advantages on the 360, I said the same about CoD4, that in those categories, they are the same (even though if you nitpicked, the PS3 looked better).

TheRealMafoo said:

Why use the video card? Make that optional too. Software 3d for those that want no load times at all. It will look 1000 time worse, but load instantly.

Look, the PS3 comes with a collection of tools for the developers to utilize. One of those tools is a HD. Why not use it?

And to directly answer your question. Let's say you could stream 100 textures a second off the HD, and 40 off an optical drive. If you were constrained to 40, you would design your game differently. You would put less marquees down a street, or populate the town with less unique car types, or people. You would have to compromise something.

a 7 minute install to not have to make that compromise is a huge advantage. Mass Effect on the PC will look far better for the same reason.

When nothing is constraining you from using the HD, why would you constrain yourself? 

i don't mind waiting for installs, i'm not annoyed, other wise i wouldn't be getting the ps3 version. but what i'm trying to establish is that the developers clearly made the install mandatory for a reason apart from convenience.

starcraft said:
So the scorecard:

PS3 wins in:
-SIXAXIS support.

360 wins in:
-Frame-rate
-Aliasing/paint filter
-No install
-Rumble
-Achievements.

Note that neither future DLC or future online capabilities are recorded as advantages as all are speculative.

Around the Network

look why don't you forget about which version is better and just play the one you like. This isn't like the diffs between the 360 and PS3 versions of Madden 08. It's little stuff like slight streaking in night scenes on the PS3 and 8 second longer load times on the 360. And tbh, I don't think ANYONE is going to care about pop-in when they're roaring through liberty city at 130mph with the cops right on their tail. pop-in never bothered people in the PS1 and PS2 eras and they won't bother you now.

Not trying to be a fanboy. Of course, it's hard when you own the best console eve... dang it

Considering the 360 has no online play out of the box, i don't see why they don't mark it down for that.

Retrasado said:
look why don't you forget about which version is better and just play the one you like. This isn't like the diffs between the 360 and PS3 versions of Madden 08. It's little stuff like slight streaking in night scenes on the PS3 and 8 second longer load times on the 360. And tbh, I don't think ANYONE is going to care about pop-in when they're roaring through liberty city at 130mph with the cops right on their tail. pop-in never bothered people in the PS1 and PS2 eras and they won't bother you now.

But the Cell and Xenon!!!! This is madness!

I agree that people should play the game. The problem is that people are very zealous about these things and discussions become bad. . . 

Kotaku HATES that PlayStation 3 with a passion. Considering IGN, Gamespot, 1up, Rockstar themselves, and many others have givens the PS3 version a nod for graphical AA and better colors in places Kotaku's comparison is quite poor.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

DOATS1 said:

i don't mind waiting for installs, i'm not annoyed, other wise i wouldn't be getting the ps3 version. but what i'm trying to establish is that the developers clearly made the install mandatory for a reason apart from convenience.

They made the game knowing they were going to install, and with knowing that, they can make a better game (and they did). Once that game is made, you can't go back and remove a component that was expected to be there, and then cry foul because it's required.