By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - connecting to the internet

my modem has a usb connection, so i tried connecting the modem to the console via a usb cable.  i kept getting an error message saying it cant connect to the modem, 51420 or something. 

ive found the nintendo website less than helpful.  so i figured id ask here.  

should i be able to connect directly to the console from the modem or have they done something requiring the purchase of a  special lan adapter.   like the "Datel Design LAN Adapter For Nintendo Wii" .  which is the only kind i see on best buy's site. 

and if i should be able to, any suggestions as to why it might not be working and what i can do to rectify the issue(s)

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Around the Network

I haven't tried to connect directly with a usb cord, but it sounds like it should work. Make sure your connection is set to wired as default.

I can vouch for the LAN adapter. It works very well.

360 Tag - narfwack

narfwack said:
I haven't tried to connect directly with a usb cord, but it sounds like it should work. Make sure your connection is set to wired as default.

...yeah..logically it should work...  but nintendo doesnt always come to my mind when i think about whats logical.  as imo, logically a ethernet port would have been best. 

that adapter costs $30 , so i am hesitant.  it isnt a whole lot,  but its $30 i shouldnt have to spend.  money i would much more happily put to a game or the xbox store(id happily give it to nintendos store if i could get online as well lol)

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

MrBubbles said:
narfwack said:

...yeah..logically it should work... but nintendo doesnt always come to my mind when i think about whats logical. as imo, logically a ethernet port would have been best.

that adapter costs $30 , so i am hesitant. it isnt a whole lot, but its $30 i shouldnt have to spend. money i would much more happily put to a game or the xbox store(id happily give it to nintendos store if i could get online as well lol)

It doesn't I tried. You could find ethernet-usb adapters though for like 5-10 dollars online. They aren't 1st party , but still work. 

sc94597 said:
MrBubbles said:
narfwack said:

...yeah..logically it should work... but nintendo doesnt always come to my mind when i think about whats logical. as imo, logically a ethernet port would have been best.

that adapter costs $30 , so i am hesitant. it isnt a whole lot, but its $30 i shouldnt have to spend. money i would much more happily put to a game or the xbox store(id happily give it to nintendos store if i could get online as well lol)

It doesn't I tried. You could find ethernet-usb adapters though for like 5-10 dollars online. They aren't 1st party , but still work.

I should have noted that, yes you can find them cheaper like I did.  Found mine on a Russian website.  My computer got infected by the website, but I still was able to get the adapter.

360 Tag - narfwack

Around the Network

Ok so confirming this, ANY BRAND what so ever? Datel is a rip off, Nintys a rip off. Cheap no name brand, sweet price, but it will work ?

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

if you had a router it could work...as for direct plug in..read you Wii manual..

i tells you to get the adapter...if you don't have that..lol...that sucks