By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will Wii sell a record number of units this week?

This Sunday, not only does Mario Kart hit stores, but so do an enormous amount of Wii consoles. 

I saw 20 in stock at a Gamestock on Friday (they received 30 and only had them in stock for an hour and a half).

There are Sunday ads coming out tomorrow showing Wii's for sale on Sunday at Best Buy, TRU, Target, and Circuit City, and these are just the ones I know of. The TRU ad says they have the most Wii's in stock ever.

I was in a Target a few minutes ago and asked how many the were getting and the clerk didn't know, but he did know the Oak Leaf Plantation Target (right down the street) got........ 100!

Did Ninty stuff the market to 1 Downplay the GTA4 release? 2 Sell a huge amount of Kart? 3 They are preparing the market for Wii Fit sales?

I think 1 and 3, but the next two weeks of sales should be nothing less than interesting!

BAM! There it is!

Wii Code 3456 7941 4060 2924
COD MW Reflex 541192229709
Around the Network

I don't think Mario Kart and Wii Fit are meant to steal attention away from Grand Theft Auto 4.

And no, no record numbers.

radioioRobert said:
Oak Leaf Plantation Target (right down the street) got........

Whoa, you live in Jacksonville too?

I mentioned in another thread that this month will be the largest non-holiday month ever for the industry and this is further evidence to support it from Nintendo's side.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

100????? Wow, that's nice....This should be an interseting week, and I have also seen A LOT of Wii ads in papers these past 3 days..

Record numbers as in break weekly records? Not even sure what record PS2 set but I doubt it. I'm sure all consoles will have a real good week both in HW and SW moved.

Around the Network

I've said it before and now I'll say it again. Nintendo doesn't want GTA to steal any of their thunder. Hence the extra wii's and the release dates of MK and WiiFit. MS and Sony are going to sell more consoles for the next few weeks, but it's going to look like nothing at all compared to how many N sells.

60 Year old woman : "Hmmm WiiFit or GTA IV .... Tough choice..."

As i've send a trillion times before the Wii is in a different market ( not completley) but a siginificant % of it's demographic is not the same kinda people who would buy GTA.

Nintendo is going for the throat. Make it fast and painful.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

It is not as if they plan on decreasing GTA4 sales by diverting money away from that group. They are just putting out so many Wiis ans with Smash, Kart, WiiFit they plan on keeping their massive lead, in sales and mindshare.

Final* Word on Game Delays:

The game will not be any better or include more content then planned. Any commnets that say so are just PR hogwash to make you feel better for having to wait.

Delays are due to lack of proper resources, skill, or adequate planning by the developer.

Do be thankful that they have enough respect for you to delay the game and maintain its intended level of quality.

*naznatips is exempt

MontanaHatchet said:
I don't think Mario Kart and Wii Fit are meant to steal attention away from Grand Theft Auto 4.

And no, no record numbers.

Actually Nintendo is trying their best to take attention away from GTA4.

Nintendo has done this before. The best example was when they released Majora's Mask the Same week as Sony released the PS2.

And I think Nintendo will be dropping a buttload of Wiis off. And could easily break non holiday records for Wiis consoles sold sold.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut