By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - GTAIV NTSC has been leaked onto the Internet

It's impossible to ever really know the extent of piracy on the 360 but it would be interesting to know how many copies of GTAIV will be downloaded rather than purchased.

Around the Network

well, all major games are torrented onto the web, and it doesn't seem to have a noticeable effect on sales, i feel that this won't be an exception.

DOATS1 said:
well, all major games are torrented onto the web, and it doesn't seem to have a noticeable effect on sales, i feel that this won't be an exception.

You really have no way of knowing that.  The only way we would know if it effected sales is if we had numbers in a world without illegal downloads.  And we don't.  So for all we know, without piracy, the gaming industry would sell much more than its selling now.  

Brian ZuckerGeneral PR Manager, VGChartzbzucker@vgchartz.com

Digg VGChartz!

Follow VGChartz on Twitter!

Fan VGChartz on Facebook!

loadedstatement said:
DOATS1 said:

You really have no way of knowing that.  The only way we would know if it effected sales is if we had numbers in a world without illegal downloads.  And we don't.  So for all we know, without piracy, the gaming industry would sell much more than its selling now.  

I agree with both of you somewhat, on one hand you got the people that would have never bought the game in the first place downloading it, then you got those that might buy it then download it and have enough respect for the people that worked hard to make the game and they go out and purchase the game, when they might not have if they hadn't downloaded it, then you got the other kind of people that hurt the business that flat out steal the game and never have intentions of buying it.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

loadedstatement said:
DOATS1 said:

You really have no way of knowing that. The only way we would know if it effected sales is if we had numbers in a world without illegal downloads. And we don't. So for all we know, without piracy, the gaming industry would sell much more than its selling now.

Or, as far as we know, without piracy, the gaming industry would sell much less than its selling now. 

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

Around the Network

The number will be statistically equivalent to 0. Really, the vast majority of pirates would not have purchased the game legitimately in the first place, and piracy is inherently taken into account when designing a game. It's simply something that would exist regardless, for as long as there are people who can't easily make ends meet.

Besides, piracy is about the only way people could consider buying the machines in the first place in some areas of the world, because that alone will cost them more than many of us would spend on the system, accessories, and games combined over the system's lifetime.

You do not have the right to never be offended.