By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Would you be disappointed if "Switch 2" is revealed as Switch PRO? (Poll)

I'd be disappointed with a Switch PRO

Yes 26 52.00%

No 18 36.00%

A bit 1 2.00%

Still excited as Switch 2 5 10.00%

Total:50
Mr Puggsly said:
Chrkeller said:

I'll be shocked if the S2 isn't a solid jump over the Deck.  The Deck is a solid product but is fsr from being powerful.  

Given its Nintendo, I'm fully prepared to be shocked so they can maintain a higher profit. They also need to maintain the sweet spot of $299, in my opinion.

Either way, just something at par with Steam Deck would be awesome.

Fair points.  I am expecting at least $350, maybe $400.  But with Nintendo, who knows.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
LegitHyperbole said:
Chrkeller said:

Like the visuals and layout?  It is a handheld, not sure what else Nin can do

Would have love to see better joy cons, something In the style of PS portal but detachable as one example. More shoulder buttons. A smaller form factor instead of larger, that Switch is already too large for pockets. It fails as a handheld that has reasonable possibility. 

Hopefully there will be better haptics, as someone said above HD Rumble is haptics but I'd like to see better haptics find there way to the triggers aswell. 

Improved Joycon should be one of the main things sorted out with the new device.  I totally agree with that.

Handheld means handheld.  It doesn't "have" to fit in one's pocket to be portable.  Regardless of the advances in mobile tech, the days of the majority or gamers being satisfied with the experiences to be found on a device that can fit in your pocket (ie GBA) are long gone.  Most cell phones don't even fit comfortably in a pants pocket, and even if there was something worth playing on a phone...who wants to do hundreds and hundreds of hours on such a small screen?

Kwaidd said:
LegitHyperbole said:

Would have love to see better joy cons, something In the style of PS portal but detachable as one example. More shoulder buttons. A smaller form factor instead of larger, that Switch is already too large for pockets. It fails as a handheld that has reasonable possibility. 

Hopefully there will be better haptics, as someone said above HD Rumble is haptics but I'd like to see better haptics find there way to the triggers aswell. 

Improved Joycon should be one of the main things sorted out with the new device.  I totally agree with that.

Handheld means handheld.  It doesn't "have" to fit in one's pocket to be portable.  Regardless of the advances in mobile tech, the days of the majority or gamers being satisfied with the experiences to be found on a device that can fit in your pocket (ie GBA) are long gone.  Most cell phones don't even fit comfortably in a pants pocket, and even if there was something worth playing on a phone...who wants to do hundreds and hundreds of hours on such a small screen?

I'd play a portable the size of a phone, if it was a dedicated indie machine the main problem is the controllers space but they could fold down and go in the other pocket or use a flip up design like DS/PSP GO. The smaller the screen the more crudy the graphics can look and be acceptable, ala the PSP GO which was fantastic. That's all I want a portable for, I don't wanna play long games you'd play on a console I want a console for that. I'd be playing stuff like Hades, vampire survivors, Super mario Bros 3, Cat Quest, Gwent, other card games, House marques older style games like Resogun and Nex machina etc. Sadly we'll never get that again cause Nintendo has their hands in both and master of none and Sony is afraid of the mobile market. I reckon I'm not the only one too, build it cheap for cheap games and they will come. Both of them, with Sony or Nintendos brand they come in the thousands off of steam and the mobile market like they did on Switch. Leave the console games separate to console ot just do this a side system to the Switch. I can't believe Sony hasn't tried again or Microsoft haven't done it since there is a true handheld gap on the market.  

Shaunodon said:
The_Yoda said:

If we hadn't seen how the WiiU played out I would have agreed with you.  That said years after release there were still people that thought the WiiU was just an add-on for the Wii.  I think branding matters for the masses.  For geeks like us not so much.  If they want to capitalize on the success the Switch had they need to name it something entirely different or call it Switch 2. 

Call it a Pro and the more casual users will skip it.  Like it or not, Sony's consoles have better reach and their console branding is just easier to follow than Microsoft or Nintendo's. Remember more than half of humanity are morons. Keep it simple stupid.

Whether or not the system is a success wasn't the question afaik.

I bought the Wii U in 2014 when games started to release and was very happy with it. As long as this new system has backwards compatibility and continues to receive the same quality of software the Switch has received, I will be happy.

If Nintendo somehow screws up the branding again, that's really not my problem or concern.

That is fair.  I hope for a success though.  Successful consoles tend to get more software which can affect me.

I too really liked the WiiU.  Unfortunately after spending thousands on software my WiiU is a brick.  The internal memory went belly up.  I have a 4TB enclosure for the WiiU that had all the classic software I bought and even if I get my WiiU repaired there is no guarantee that it will recognize that my hard drive belongs to my account.

It was nice having practically all the Marios, Zeldas, Metroids, Mega-Mans, Kirbys, Castlevanians, ect from my youth on one system. The WiiU was my first Nintendo system to fail.  NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii and even my original Gameboy all still work last I checked.

In processing power, the undocked mode being anything on par with steamdeck or last gen consoles would be more than enough to not be disappointed.
Last gen games hold pretty well these days. Just include newer tech capable of SS, ray-tracing, frame generation, and would be ok.

In terms of form factor, the hybrid seems the perfect choice.

Well, anything below that Id be disappointed.