Assassin Creed Shadows will...

Succeed 16 29.63%

Fail 19 35.19%

Sell well but fail to meet expectations 16 29.63%

Other.. 3 5.56%

Total:54
Tober said:
Ryuu96 said:

It could be the budget if for some reason, we're including the acquisition costs, which would be stupid. It could have been the planned budget from creation to release to years of support, but the rumour was that it was the budget from creation to release and that's what I find unbelievable and is being disputed. I don't discount that like Destiny 1, it could have had tens of millions in planned spending after release.

I don't know who this Youtuber's source was. But it would hardly been the CFO. The program manager on this project? Hardly, like if a program manager tells the outside world how big a budget was on a failed project they were responsible for.

There are not that many in the company that would know about the real costs. A disgrunted employee being the source can trow any money number in the air.

Yeah this is true as well, there's few people who will actually have access to the financials, your average employee likely won't know shit about the budget, they may hear whispers of it but who knows how many people that has passed through. I think it's also possible this "employee" saw the investor roundups that ProbablyMonsters received (which yes, were $200m+ in total) but that was spread across 3 studios and HQ...Maybe they thought that was all for Firewalk though.

Around the Network

The only way Skull and Bones cost that much, or even the reported number for Concord, is if their respective companies were run like the US Government. Crap, this sounds political, I didn't mean it to be. Just saying, it would have to be monumental amount of wasteful spending.

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS

Knew it...Anyone who was thinking about it should have bought Ubisoft while they were low, either they would have recovered after such a horrible dip or someone would acquire them at a premium but meh, I don't want to see any more mega-corps acquiring mega-corps, they all fucking suck.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - 17 hours ago

I anticipate if this goes through it will be something like Tencent holding the majority share (60%+) and Guillemot Family holding a minority share, Ubisoft will go private, Tencent will be in control and likely thousands of layoffs will follow as Tencent attempts to bring Ubisoft in line with other publishers, aka heavily rely on cheap outsourcing and kill off a bunch of low-value IP.

Ubisoft is a bit of a unique entity in the current publishing industry in the sense that they have thousands more developers than most other publishers because they do a lot of internal co-development whilst most other publishers just rely on cheap outsourcing via external studios, Ubisoft as a little credit to them has mostly managed to avoid these mass layoffs, won't last though.

I would have preferred for Ubisoft to recover itself and Yves to step-down...Not a fan of Tencent acquiring them or any mega corporation in light of recent events in the wider industry and Tbh it sounds like this will just end up with Yves still remaining as CEO and nothing changing aside from thousands of layoffs and Tencent being the owner.

This is going to be a fucking bloodbath of layoffs...

I've updated the title in light of the new significant development.

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:

Knew it...Anyone who was thinking about it should have bought Ubisoft while they were low, either they would have recovered after such a horrible dip or someone would acquire them at a premium but meh, I don't want to see any more mega-corps acquiring mega-corps, they all fucking suck.

Slightly surprising, but might be for the best.
Doesn't seem like upper management is doing a fantastic job of things so....   also if true, seems that people that bought in at the dip, will be making off with decent profits.

Zippy6 said:

Valhalla was a huge success commercially. Made over $1 Billion in just over a year, 20m players in it's first 2 years. Probably sold around 15m in 2 years. While I don't think Shadows will hit that mark and I expect it will "fail to meet expectations" for Ubisoft it's still going to sell well. I'd be surprised if it doesn't hit 10m lifetime.

My answer to the question in the title compared to the poll is different. Yes Ubisoft is in danger.

Supposedly pre-orders were around 7% of what Valhalla had when it was releasing.
And this was one of the reasons why it was pushed back. They wanted more time to polish it up, before a new showing with trailers ect.
They wanted another success like Valhalla was (probably the most successfull AC game they have made to date).

JRPGfan said:
Ryuu96 said:

Slightly surprising, but might be for the best.
Doesn't seem like upper management is doing a fantastic job of things so....   also if true, seems that people that bought in at the dip, will be making off with decent profits.

I think the best case scenario would have been Yves fucking off and Ubisoft naturally recovering, although going private may be better in the long run as they no longer have to answer to shareholders and they can just be happy with whatever profits they make, Ubisoft even profited in the last fiscal year which included Avatar and Skull and Bones release, Lol.

But I'm no fan of mega-corps acquiring mega-corps anymore, I'm not a fan of Tencent either.

And I think we're going to see the single biggest layoffs ever in the industry if Ubisoft ends up being acquired, although that may happen regardless eventually, Ubisoft has 21,000 employees, I'd not be surprised if we see 3000-5000 gone in one swoop. Probably multiple teams and studios shutdown and the focus put on milking Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, Tom Clancy and other GaaS.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - 16 hours ago

Two considerations to an acquisition.

1. Microsoft has a say in who the Activision-Blizzard Cloud licenses are divested to but only within reasonable complaints: Under "certain circumstances" Microsoft has to consent the divestment to a third party. But the consent "cannot be unreasonably withheld, delayed, or conditioned". I doubt it will be a problem for Tencent, would maybe be a problem for someone like Amazon though.

2. America investigated Tencent's acquisition of Sumo Group under "security concerns" which ultimately passed but Ubisoft is far bigger than Sumo Group with way bigger American teams than them too, I imagine a similar security investigation will happen. Also, I'd not be surprised to see FTC attempt to block it given how active they are lately.

May be considerations that Tencent has to take, might be easier if Ubisoft just went with a random private equity firm, Lol. Also Macron lately has been banging on about Europe being left behind by America and China and how Europe needs to do more to remain competitive, France just voted in favour of tariffs on Chinese EVs...I think there's a decent chance France may fight a Tencent acquisition of their largest videogame publisher.

Lets see if we see another regulatory battle, Lol.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - 16 hours ago

Keep the company at any cost even though it'll be gutted and hung out to dry and be at the mercy of the CCP. Tut, tut. I'm disappointed. Anyone with blue hair and pride flags in their twitter bio best run and and hide.