By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 Pro is still far cheaper than a PC

method114 said:
Mummelmann said:

So, the Pro doesn't look likely to pull in new demographics - there's not enough incentive to do so. And, it's a tough sell for existing PS5 owners as well, the performance boost just isn't significant enough to warrant the price difference. Add to that the fact that a disc-drive and a stand aren't even included, this is approaching Apple-levels of marketing feces, from where I'm sitting. 

I think the problem is you seem to think that Sony is even attempting to do that. This product is for hardcore Sony fans. People invested in the ecosystem and always want the best of the best. Do you know that person who is constantly buying the new Iphone for absolutely no reason? That's who this is for. I guarantee they don't expect this to go far beyond 10% of overall console sales. It will also have the added benefit of getting more used PS5s into the wild so more people can get into the new gen without having to pay as much.

R&D costs being what they are in this space, I find it unlikely that they're aiming for a very narrow demographic with the Pro. If they only expect this to make up 10% of the hardware sales from here on out, they've made a terrible mistake. Again; I find that highly unlikely.

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
method114 said:

I think the problem is you seem to think that Sony is even attempting to do that. This product is for hardcore Sony fans. People invested in the ecosystem and always want the best of the best. Do you know that person who is constantly buying the new Iphone for absolutely no reason? That's who this is for. I guarantee they don't expect this to go far beyond 10% of overall console sales. It will also have the added benefit of getting more used PS5s into the wild so more people can get into the new gen without having to pay as much.

R&D costs being what they are in this space, I find it unlikely that they're aiming for a very narrow demographic with the Pro. If they only expect this to make up 10% of the hardware sales from here on out, they've made a terrible mistake. Again; I find that highly unlikely.

Subsidizing consoles isn't what it used to be. If this a generation or 2 ago, the PS5 Pro would've cost the same as a base PS5, but with the base PS5 getting a permanent price reduction. But I don't think Sony can afford to sell the Pro at a loss.

Tech has historically been one of the few industries where costs would continually go down as time went on. We've now reached quite the unprecedented time where that's no longer the case. Which I think is a big reason why so many tech companies are trying to become very reliant on AI to help alleviate costs. But, that's still a ways off from really making a difference.

G2ThaUNiT said:
Mummelmann said:

Subsidizing consoles isn't what it used to be. If this a generation or 2 ago, the PS5 Pro would've cost the same as a base PS5, but with the base PS5 getting a permanent price reduction. But I don't think Sony can afford to sell the Pro at a loss.

Tech has historically been one of the few industries where costs would continually go down as time went on. We've now reached quite the unprecedented time where that's no longer the case. Which I think is a big reason why so many tech companies are trying to become very reliant on AI to help alleviate costs. But, that's still a ways off from really making a difference.

Absolutely, and this is why I can't see Sony aiming to sell just a few units of the Pro - they need to make up the cost at that premium. I expect the margins to be similar across all their units, the R&D cost alone won't be worth it unless they sell quite a few Pros. There's also the added strategy of fleecing us on disc-drive's and stands though. Selling one Pro, along with an external drive and a stand, probably has a really good margin. I can't imagine the drive or stand costing much to manufacture.

Mummelmann said:
method114 said:

The Ps4Pro was about 25% of the market share and it was much more reasonably priced. The PS portal has apparently only sold around 3% of total PS5 users and has been considered a success by Sony. On top of that I suspect that the R&D cost for the Pro and PS6 are closely aligned at this point. I 100% believe all the work going into PSSR is going to move over to the PS6 and the data they get from the PS5P will help with upgrading it even more. 

Mummelmann said:
G2ThaUNiT said:

Absolutely, and this is why I can't see Sony aiming to sell just a few units of the Pro - they need to make up the cost at that premium. I expect the margins to be similar across all their units, the R&D cost alone won't be worth it unless they sell quite a few Pros. There's also the added strategy of fleecing us on disc-drive's and stands though. Selling one Pro, along with an external drive and a stand, probably has a really good margin. I can't imagine the drive or stand costing much to manufacture.

They absolutely want to make money on it, but I still think not giving Blu-Ray drive for that price is controversial... especially for 800€ in Europe.

Around the Network
method114 said:
Mummelmann said:

The Ps4Pro was about 25% of the market share and it was much more reasonably priced. The PS portal has apparently only sold around 3% of total PS5 users and has been considered a success by Sony. On top of that I suspect that the R&D cost for the Pro and PS6 are closely aligned at this point. I 100% believe all the work going into PSSR is going to move over to the PS6 and the data they get from the PS5P will help with upgrading it even more. 

There was a recent article that states 14.5 million PS4 Pros were sold.  12%

The Article

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

method114 said:
Mummelmann said:

Where did you get 25% of the PS4 Pro marketshare? It was about 12% of total PS4's sold. 

Analyst expects PS5 Pro to sell at PS4 Pro levels, despite relatively high price | VGC (videogameschronicle.com)

G2ThaUNiT said:
method114 said:

Where did you get 25% of the PS4 Pro marketshare? It was about 12% of total PS4's sold. 

Analyst expects PS5 Pro to sell at PS4 Pro levels, despite relatively high price | VGC (videogameschronicle.com)

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

G2ThaUNiT said:
method114 said:

Ok I though I heard it on LSM. They must have been wrong though or I'm misunderstood. Well there we go 12% even further supports my point Sony isn't going to expect it to reach much more than that.

I will say that 1 game I'm very interested to see what performance will look like from the PS5 Pro is Dragon's Dogma 2. It's a VERY CPU heavy game and already runs at an unlocked framerate on consoles. That would be quite the statement on the Pro's capabilities. Primarily PSSR.